Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Trouble shooting help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous Trouble shooting help

I currently have a Harris Speed works N2o plate on my car and am running into fueling issues

Car is an 06 GTO and I already put in the Lingenfelter Walbro fuel pump. I have a tick window/WOT switch on the car as the "controller"

What it is doing is just baffling and its getting old. I am out of ideas.

I have the controller programmed to begin spraying at 3000 rpm and stop at 6000. It does exactly that. It will start spraying and everything is fine until around 4200 to 4500 rpm and then the car quits pulling and goes way lean. I have ngk bkr7e plugs gapped at .30, Upgraded plug wires. All wiring is 10 gauge and soldered properly. Extensive testing shoes that the controller activates exactly when told to. No voltage variance on my DBW TB.

I decided to replace the fuel solenoid, that did not work.

I recently put a "T" just before the fuel solenoid and ran a gauge up to the windshield so I could see what that was doing.... it runs constantly at 58 ish PSI (NORMAL) When the kit sprays, it dips down for a fraction of a second to like 50 and then picks back up to around 58 psi. Then it climbs rapidly and pegs my 100 psi gauge, Meanwhile, the car is pulling fine. Then the pressure drops to around 40 PSI all of a sudden and quits pulling (and misfires and goes way lean) at about 4200 RPMS.

IDK why of WTF it is doing but I am tired of troubleshooting the problem.

ANY IDEAS would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

PS: Car does have dyno time and has lots of timing pulled (enough timing for a 250 shot if I had forged internals)
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds like your fuel pump. Or the alternator is going bad or weak battery. This has happen on a few different cars I know about.
At a bigger shot the noids pull all the amps and cant keep up with a weak battery or alt going out.
Also had a car we were tunning on the dyno ran great na then on spray at 4grand it did what yours is doing.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm I did install an optima battery. Perhaps I shall test the alternator thoroughly and see if that is a weakness that my car has.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John gave great advice above. First varify there is not a amperage or voltage issue in the car. You deffintly have a fueling issue going on. First of all I dont understand why it would peg a 100 psi gauge after being at 50. Then it droping to 40 psi. Start with checking your fuel filter.

Concidering the engine is stock the lengenfelter pump should be plenty. May be a defective pump or bad connection.
Dave
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

I was thinking it had to be the pump, because the problem was non-existant when I was only using a 100 shot on the stocker. I was also very confused as to why on earth i could spike the gauge.

I am currently building a dedicated 1 gallon fuel cell setup for my nitrous. I was thinking that perhaps something in the plate could be loose and not working, but after a night of attempted trouble shooting, my bottle had maybe 2 lbs of n2o in it and 500 ish psi, and everything seemed to work fine. Just did not "hit" hard nor pull that fast... so idk if it could be a voltage/amperage problem. ???

so frustrating.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

any other ideas/ ways to troubleshoot??

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

Check the info that Dave and I gave you and let us know.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I kinda had the same problem when I first installed my HSW wet kit. I felt a small hit (100 shot) but fell flat up top. Took it in to my tuner and said was REAL LEAN and almost not getting any fuel. He check it out and I forgot to take out the schrader valve in the fuel rail!

Removed it, now night and day difference lol
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

my shrader valve is long gone lol. Where should I tie in the electrical tool to read amperage?? On the wires at the fuel solenoid, and watch it to see if amperage falls??

Quick Reply: Nitrous Trouble shooting help