Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I tell if I lifted the heads on the 200 shot ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I tell if I lifted the heads on the 200 shot ?

Well I had a blast at the track Friday night.

I usually run 11.90s on motor and now I ran a 10.45 @ 133mph on a 200 shot.

I pulled 10 degrees so I had 16 total all the way down the track. I had C-16 in the standalone and the AFR's were right around 11.30s all the way down the track on the scan.

The bad,

When you look at my scan you can see the ECT started rising from its normal 200 at the end of the 200 shot run.

By the time I took the exit road and drove to the ticket both my gauge and scanner where pegged at 260 F. I shut the engine off and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes and looked around the engine.

It appeared coolant had shot out of the overflow tank through the caps vent holes.

I started it again and it was at normal temp. So I drove to the pits and added 2-3 gallons of water to the radiator since it was damn low and then filled the overflow tank.

I then scanned it with HP tuners and revved it to 4-5 K rpms and watched for a spike in coolant temps. It stayed right at it's normal 200 deg. F.

So I drove the 150 miles home

Now what should I do? comp and leak-down test?

I never had a chance to read a plug since I was too worried about the coolant leak.

I had 7s in which I am switching to 8s now

I will call napa and see if I can go get that chemical that looks for exhaust gas in the antifreeze.

There was no white smoke or any liquid at the mufflers.

The oil looked great and was not milky either.

What should I do now?

Could it be my cam just didn't like the 200 shot and 16 TT was still too much?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you were just low on water? Losing 2-3 gallons in one run isn't likely without seeing a whole lot of smoke and a whole lot of mess on the track and your car...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

It sure looked like allot of antifreeze came out of the overflow cap. My battery was soaked with grean.
as fast as the temp went up just cruising to the ticket booth I thought a had a blown hose. I do have arp head bolts. Should I just go spray it again and read the plugs?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

mine just trickles water down the block where the powerstering pump would mount, only after a pass. I ignore it but I know its gona get me sometime. I say go back for more. It might have been a little low to start with.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
It sure looked like allot of antifreeze came out of the overflow cap. My battery was soaked with grean.
as fast as the temp went up just cruising to the ticket booth I thought a had a blown hose. I do have arp head bolts. Should I just go spray it again and read the plugs?
Set the timing at 14* and make another pass, yes read the plugs. Why did you not pull the plugs on that pass?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Graham@NitrousOutlet
Set the timing at 14* and make another pass, yes read the plugs. Why did you not pull the plugs on that pass?
I had the hacksaw and cordless drill. As well as spare plugs

I was just more concerned with the overheating / coolant loss.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

I had the hacksaw and cordless drill. As well as spare plugs

I was just more concerned with the overheating / coolant loss.
I hear you. What the plug said could have given us a real good idea if this was tune up related however.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Graham@NitrousOutlet
I hear you. What the plug said could have given us a real good idea if this was tune up related however.
I have the day off work so I will put in a new set of 8s @ .032" and go do a 3rd and 4th hit.
If coolant coming out of the overflow is tune related it would be because the heads lifted do to to much timing for the cam, right?

I do have another cam that is supposed to be "for nitrous" that came with this engine, I might throw that in if the timing mark is still too much at only 14 deg.TT
Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

I have the day off work so I will put in a new set of 8s @ .032" and go do a 3rd and 4th hit.
If coolant coming out of the overflow is tune related it would be because the heads lifted do to to much timing for the cam, right?

I do have another cam that is supposed to be "for nitrous" that came with this engine, I might throw that in if the timing mark is still too much at only 14 deg.TT
The heads will lift due to detonation usually.If they are lifting it is because of the tuneup, not the cam.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
Maybe you were just low on water? Losing 2-3 gallons in one run isn't likely without seeing a whole lot of smoke and a whole lot of mess on the track and your car...
I'm with Sarge^^^ Try the simple things first....The listed tune-up sounds a little warm but nothing to lift a head unless you already had mechanical issues.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

I set timing at 14 and did a hit on a 200 shot. I pulled the plugs and I will post picks after work. The Timming mark is right at the center of the bend on the ground strap. Where do you want it?

It looked like more water sprayed out the overflow cap again and when I slowly took the cap off the hot rad there was a bunch of air in the rad. The ect stayed right at 192 degrees on the scan and never spiked. Could the water pump be overpressuring? I am going to get the blue chemical after work to add to the coolant.
Who thinks I have a blown head gasket.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I had a blast at the track Friday night.

I usually run 11.90s on motor and now I ran a 10.45 @ 133mph on a 200 shot.

I pulled 10 degrees so I had 16 total all the way down the track. I had C-16 in the standalone and the AFR's were right around 11.30s all the way down the track on the scan.

The bad,

When you look at my scan you can see the ECT started rising from its normal 200 at the end of the 200 shot run.

By the time I took the exit road and drove to the ticket both my gauge and scanner where pegged at 260 F. I shut the engine off and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes and looked around the engine.

It appeared coolant had shot out of the overflow tank through the caps vent holes.

I started it again and it was at normal temp. So I drove to the pits and added 2-3 gallons of water to the radiator since it was damn low and then filled the overflow tank.

I then scanned it with HP tuners and revved it to 4-5 K rpms and watched for a spike in coolant temps. It stayed right at it's normal 200 deg. F.

So I drove the 150 miles home

Now what should I do? comp and leak-down test?

I never had a chance to read a plug since I was too worried about the coolant leak.

I had 7s in which I am switching to 8s now

I will call napa and see if I can go get that chemical that looks for exhaust gas in the antifreeze.

There was no white smoke or any liquid at the mufflers.

The oil looked great and was not milky either.

What should I do now?

Could it be my cam just didn't like the 200 shot and 16 TT was still too much?
afr 11.30s?

not sayin take it for certain but that sounds ringland liftin rich.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the track have to clean up? 2-3 gallons of water would make a hell of a mess. was the coolant there when you got home? chance you lost some on the drive in? how hot was it at the beginning of the run? also some times the stock radiator cap gets tired. might be time to replace it. the spring in there is like a waistgate for your radiator. if its weak it lets it all spit into the over flow at rpm when the pump spins the fastest and builds pressure.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

My guess u got a head gasket, I would look more into it before spraying it again. If it's a head gasket and you spray it again you could burn up a piston or two.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would but a 100 dollars on a lifted head gasket. I really would pull the heads and check them before running again. I've been there, done that and almost had a really bad day when I went wall to wall after getting both slicks wet.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

I had this happen before. Made a pass on spray and it overheated once I got back to the pits. Water was coming out of the overflow. I let it cool down, added water, and drove home. It didn't overheat at all. Then I noticed it would be low on coolant about once a week. So I pulled the heads and found the blown gasket.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the heads used off here and just went over them carefully with a razor. I just ordered a new set of ls9 gaskets and I'm gonna take the heads in and have them surfaced properly to 20-40 Ra this week at the machine shop.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Were you low on water when you got back home? 150 trip home should have you adding more water if you blew a headgasket.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

No I wasn't low after driving 150 miles. But I bet I still have a small head gasket leak. Heads will be off tonight. I just got the new ls9 gaskets and they are sweet.

Quick Reply: How do I tell if I lifted the heads on the 200 shot ?