Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zex wont "learn" tps.. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Zex wont "learn" tps.. Help!!

I have tried 6 times to program the NMU and it wont work.. I don’t get the flashing green,red,off lights until about 5 seconds after I release the throttle.. Everytime I think its worked and then I get in the car, turn the system off, then turn it back on.. the moment I turn it back on the noids start firing rapidly, like baseball cards in bicycle spokes.. Its “learning” the tps voltage at closed throttle but will NOT learn it at WOT.. I have no idea what gives unless I have the lead hooked up to the wrong wire.. If you have ideas please let me know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAX4BW_aRk
Attached Thumbnails Zex wont "learn" tps.. Help!!-dsc00945.jpg   Zex wont "learn" tps.. Help!!-dsc00946.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sell it and buy a turbo. Just my .2 cents
Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
Sell it and buy a turbo. Just my .2 cents
x2 or buy a real Kit and get rid of the Zix kit.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Well I just got the kit on the car so ditching it for a Turbo kit isnt the answer I was looking for.. Also, IF I cannot get the thing fixed then yes I will replace the NMU for a set of noids from Nitrous Outlet... Just thought I would give the Zex a shot first
Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD98TA
Well I just got the kit on the car so ditching it for a Turbo kit isnt the answer I was looking for.. Also, IF I cannot get the thing fixed then yes I will replace the NMU for a set of noids from Nitrous Outlet... Just thought I would give the Zex a shot first
I think we would all go with Turbo if we could lol

As for the Zix kit .. My buddy down the street from me has been fighting with the same kit you have for a couple months he doesn't have a lot of time to mess with it..

Good luck with the kit..

I've been using the TNT 90mm Power ring kit for the last year with Nitrous Outlet noids.

I just switched over to the Nitrous Outlet 90mm Plate this week. I will be testing it out next week.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Zex is actually Latin for JUNK. It's for Hondas with large fart cans on them so they can get more "boost" from their 50-shot. In all seriousness you can pay Dave or Chris at the Nitrous Outlet now or later. The difference could be substantial if you toast something in the motor first. Get rid of that thing and buy a plate with a set of solenoids. You will be much happier not to mention make more power.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not going to sit here and argue.. I was looking for someone who had experience with Zex.. Didn’t want to hear all about how "bad" it is.. I just need to know if I am wired up correctly or not.. If I have everything wired correctly and the kit simply doesn’t work I will join the ranks of all the rest of you here that bash Zex.. of course the difference is that I will have real world experience whereas most people here are just making assumptions.. Anyone have any actual tech information to contribute??
Old 10-14-2011, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

No one is arguing. People are trying to steer you clear of more problems. The reason your not getting an answer is because no one runs that ****. Here is a suggestion - CALL ZEX TECH. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I thought you heard these kits didn't suck donkey *****.

I guess they do. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like you have it wired up correctly. You just need to program it right. Take your time. You set it up to where it learned the activation tps at closed throttle instead of open. And don't forget you don't have any fuel or nitrous flowing to cool the noids so be careful how long they were firing off if they came on as soon as you hit the switch. Zex has a pretty good warranty on their products. If you've already invested the money I'd stick with it. Good beginner kit for a someone looking to spray a small shot. And nice car
Old 10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Like I said.. If it turns out that the problem is not my fault and it is in fact the fault of the kit then I will get rid of it and join the ranks of the "zex is ****" group.. I just need to know if I am wrong, or if the NMU isnt doing what it supposed to...

I cant say Zex is **** yet because I have no idea if the failure is MY fault.. BTW thanks rmata.. I only have one idea left and that is to run a meter on the tps and see if the wire I am tapped into is putting out the right voltage range for the NMU to read.. I have read somewhere that it needs to put out at least 4.5V at WOT for the system to do its thing..
Old 10-14-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Oh, and make sure you are getting a good tps signal. Those crimp over connectors can fool you sometimes.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Called Zex.. Soon as I get home I will check for .5 volts with throttle closed and around 5volts at WOT.. if those aren’t the numbers I get then I know I have the wrong wire.. he said I have a ground wire, one wire that will have a constant .5 volt. and a third wire that should range as I push the throttle.. With that in mind the Zex simply learns max voltage over the course of a 10 second test and uses that number as the activation voltage.. SO.. if I am tapped into the wire that puts out a constant .5 volt the NMU is activating at that voltage..
Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Ha ha, the Zex haters have spoken!
I have run a zex kit for years and dare I say, it's as good as anything out there if you stay with a small shot.
Once you get your tps hooked up to the right wire you should be good.
It has been a long time, but if I remember, you want the wire off of pin #22.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait.. Did I understand correctly? You didn't check the volts? That's probably your issue.

If hooked up properly, go by the directions from zex, it is cake.

My zex kit worked like a charm. Lol at the haters. I guess pacesetter is Latin for junk, since we have kooks 17/8?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

lemons and danny.. I appreciate the back up on Zex.. It sucks to spend your hard earned money on something just to get it bashed by everyone else.. I know it’s a beginner kit, I know it’s not upgradeable, I know this is my first time spraying and it’s the most simple kit available for a beginner.. Therefore, Zex is a win for me I checked the voltage and sure enough I had the wrong wire.. problem solved
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

I had nothing but great success with my kit it was barly used when i got it and i have sprayed 7-8 bottles through my 96' turbo eclipse that is anything but stock...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD98TA
lemons and danny.. I appreciate the back up on Zex.. It sucks to spend your hard earned money on something just to get it bashed by everyone else.. I know it’s a beginner kit, I know it’s not upgradeable, I know this is my first time spraying and it’s the most simple kit available for a beginner.. Therefore, Zex is a win for me I checked the voltage and sure enough I had the wrong wire.. problem solved
Good to hear. Have fun
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

What window switch are you using with the zex? It can be a little tricky hooking one up. I have some different wiring diagrams for it if you need. I ran the the Zex Nmu for a couple of years with no problems. I ended up getting the HSW conversion kit a couple of years later with a plate.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that they could only work with a zex window switch??

Everyone that **** talked so quick, you can take your foot out of your mouth now.

Quick Reply: Zex wont "learn" tps.. Help!!