Old 07-15-2012 | 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

2 weeks!
Old 07-15-2012 | 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
2 weeks!
You have a truck? If not I do.

I have the garage!!! We can get together a couple of nights and get the LS1excitement guys over and some other guys from Tech and HPJ and make a beer drinking garage thrash weekend. If you need a place to crash you can crash here seeing you're a good ways away.

Since you shafted me on the TFS heads this is the least you can do LMAO
Old 07-15-2012 | 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

I still have the heads.... I was just gonna put them on a fresh shortblock. If you want to just use the heads on your setup thats fine. I have some Jesel rockers I got from Thadd too. Probably just need pushrods and some shims for the rockers to make sure everything is good.
Old 07-16-2012 | 01:48 PM
Launching!

Hey f body, I have another question for you. What should my afr be while being on c16? Would it read richer than when I was on 93? I'm running a 88n and 38f and my afr reads 10.8-11.3. Where should my afr be to get close? I know i will have to read the plugs once i get the afr close.
Old 07-16-2012 | 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
Hey f body, I have another question for you. What should my afr be while being on c16? Would it read richer than when I was on 93? I'm running a 88n and 38f and my afr reads 10.8-11.3. Where should my afr be to get close? I know i will have to read the plugs once i get the afr close.
same A/F less timing with 93oct.

Shoot for mid to low 12's.... checking plugs along the way.
Old 07-16-2012 | 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
same A/F less timing with 93oct.

Shoot for mid to low 12's.... checking plugs along the way.
ok. I was on a 78n 42f on 93oct with 16 degrees total. My afr was 11.8-12.2 and my plugs looked great.

Now I'm on the same timing but I'm running c16 and a 88n and 38f and my wideband is reading 10.8-11.2 afr. Is it normal to be this much more rich on c16 and to go down in jet size this much? I want to step the fuel down to a 35 jet so I will be around 12.0-12.4. What do you think?
Old 07-16-2012 | 08:06 PM
8 Second Club

Doesn't 116 normally need more timing?
Old 07-16-2012 | 08:37 PM
Launching!

I wanted to be safe and leave the 16 degrees in for the 250 shot. When i read the plugs on this tune up i will most likely add a little timing.
Old 07-16-2012 | 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by THADD
Doesn't 116 normally need more timing?
I think he was just saying 93 uses less time @ the same AFR as 116
Old 07-16-2012 | 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
I still have the heads.... I was just gonna put them on a fresh shortblock. If you want to just use the heads on your setup thats fine. I have some Jesel rockers I got from Thadd too. Probably just need pushrods and some shims for the rockers to make sure everything is good.
Nah man I am just messing with you bro! Those are your heads!

Either one, opening ring gap bigger shot....or TFS heads....at least with the stock heads and the "modified" short block if it lets go it won't royally screw up those nice heads which I would HATE to do.
Old 07-17-2012 | 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

ok. I was on a 78n 42f on 93oct with 16 degrees total. My afr was 11.8-12.2 and my plugs looked great.

Now I'm on the same timing but I'm running c16 and a 88n and 38f and my wideband is reading 10.8-11.2 afr. Is it normal to be this much more rich on c16 and to go down in jet size this much? I want to step the fuel down to a 35 jet so I will be around 12.0-12.4. What do you think?
I think you need to add timing to speed up the burn rate.

C16 burns A LOT slower than pump.

I think this is one of those head scratchers that you would think if you kept leaning it out leaning it out that you would see a difference in AFR, but with C16 it's specific gravity and what the fuel is made for(high intake heat and timing) that just leaning it out on it's own won't get the tune in line with where you need it or want to see it.

Add 2* timing in it and see where that puts you. I think you just aren't getting a good enough burn out of the charge and in this case timing will speed that burn rate up and lean it out.

One last thing though that might be it.....what nitrous solenoid are you running? Is it a .110, .125, orifice solenoid? What company is it from? Have you checked for trash in the nitrous solenoid?
Old 07-17-2012 | 12:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I think you need to add timing to speed up the burn rate.

C16 burns A LOT slower than pump.

I think this is one of those head scratchers that you would think if you kept leaning it out leaning it out that you would see a difference in AFR, but with C16 it's specific gravity and what the fuel is made for(high intake heat and timing) that just leaning it out on it's own won't get the tune in line with where you need it or want to see it.

Add 2* timing in it and see where that puts you. I think you just aren't getting a good enough burn out of the charge and in this case timing will speed that burn rate up and lean it out.

One last thing though that might be it.....what nitrous solenoid are you running? Is it a .110, .125, orifice solenoid? What company is it from? Have you checked for trash in the nitrous solenoid?
Yeah i checked the solenoids and the filter and theres nothing. They are nitrous outlet solenoids with a nitrous outlet plate. I replaced the solenoids about a month ago. Next time out i will add a little timing and see how it goes. Hopefully i can have my tuner add the timin in soon. What if i just mixed a little 93 in with the c16, would that help?
Old 07-17-2012 | 09:14 AM
On The Tree

This is a great thread, thanks for sharing.

For someone new to the nitrous world(me) and who has read all the stickies here on LS1tech, do you have an other online references that I could read to further my knowledge? I've already done a nitrous install on my car but am starting very small with a 75 wet shot on my cam-only LS3. I don't think I have enough fuel pump to support much more than that so I'll be adding a standalone come winter.
Old 07-17-2012 | 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burrhos
This is a great thread, thanks for sharing.

For someone new to the nitrous world(me) and who has read all the stickies here on LS1tech, do you have an other online references that I could read to further my knowledge? I've already done a nitrous install on my car but am starting very small with a 75 wet shot on my cam-only LS3. I don't think I have enough fuel pump to support much more than that so I'll be adding a standalone come winter.
What are you looking to learn?
Old 07-17-2012 | 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah i checked the solenoids and the filter and theres nothing. They are nitrous outlet solenoids with a nitrous outlet plate. I replaced the solenoids about a month ago. Next time out i will add a little timing and see how it goes. Hopefully i can have my tuner add the timin in soon. What if i just mixed a little 93 in with the c16, would that help?
I think it would be counter productive.

You are trying to develop a tune for C16.

Running it with 93 would change that tune up from solely 93 or C16.

I use 110 because it is quite possibly the closest fuel specific gravity wise and stoich ratio wise to pump gas 93 which means my tune up really doesn't change as far as burn rate goes, aside from allowing me to run a bigger shot of nitrous on the same amount of timing I ran on a smaller shot with pump gas.

Different fuels burn at different rates.

I think you need to pick a fuel and stick with it. Just my opinion.
Old 07-17-2012 | 09:21 PM
On The Tree

What are you looking to learn?
How to read plugs, tips and tricks from the veterans on general use of nitrous, tips on filling the bottle(I bought my own mother bottle), best bottle pressure(I hear conflicting information so I'd rather hear from someone relevant), how to fix a lean spike on the hit, um...that's all I can think of for now. I don't do anything half-assed so I want to learn as much as I can so I have good experience and do my best to avoid the headaches associated with juice.
Old 07-17-2012 | 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burrhos
How to read plugs, tips and tricks from the veterans on general use of nitrous, tips on filling the bottle(I bought my own mother bottle), best bottle pressure(I hear conflicting information so I'd rather hear from someone relevant), how to fix a lean spike on the hit, um...that's all I can think of for now. I don't do anything half-assed so I want to learn as much as I can so I have good experience and do my best to avoid the headaches associated with juice.
Best thing to do with the plugs is to make a hit on a base tune-up somewhere you can easily shut down the car after a full pull/pass and pull them and post the pictures on here.

You will get more tips and pointers by doing that and you will be able to get the hands on learning necessary to learn plug reading.

I don't fill my own bottles someone like Atvracer or shiznity or Justin Smith would be better to ask that question to.

I would run 900-950psi of bottle pressure you will see less pressure drop at those levels.

If you don't have a way to delay the hit of the nitrous to the time you are seeing your afr start to clean up from the fuel finally making it into the combustion charge then you will need to shorten your fuel line from the solenoid to the plate. That is about the only way I know of.
Old 07-18-2012 | 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Great info, thanks for sharing. It's been raining here for 2 weeks straight but as soon as I can make a clean pull, I'll be sure to post up the pictures.
Old 07-18-2012 | 10:28 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like your car already runs well N/A. If you can find traction it should really move out!
Old 07-18-2012 | 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like your car already runs well N/A. If you can find traction it should really move out!
Thank you. It has come a long way in a year, no doubt about that. I'm hoping for some 9 second passes when winter shows up. I still have a long way to go though. It never ends

Quick Reply: My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware