Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware

Well I've said it for a week or so now, and now I'm finally going to make a thread for my quest for not only the 5's but hopefully the stock short block nitrous record. Much respect to everyone else that is trying for this same thing. Let's keep this fun and have competitors respect for one another.

But on with the set-up...

In November of last year I decided I wanted to get out of my street car and into a more dedicated track vehicle that I could still tag and insure for street cruising when I felt like it.

Went from a PT76 stock bottom end cam only 4000lb car

It ran consistent 6.60's@110-112 with a PB of 6.47@112 which I could never get close to repeating. Estimated to make 700rwhp at the wheels. I loved the car, but it was at it's limit. I needed something lighter that worked out the gate.

To solve this problem I needed a lightweight car, with a great working suspension that already had all the lightweight, trick expensive pieces that no one really wants to spend money on.

Meet the Silver Bullet...

This is how she looked when I got her...she came with the Greg Welds 15x3.5 fronts and 15x10 rears and the Holeshot revolvers(not on the car). I sold the Greg Welds and put the Holeshots to use(love these wheels, pictured later)

Here are some underhood shots. The CAI is completely custom by Josh@KYTP. The entire front end from the shock towers foward is chromoly tube. Radiator support is gone along with the bumper support and replaced by chromoly tube also.

Here are pictures of the Holeshot Revolvers mounted on the car with the 27" tall front runners and 275/60 Hoosier Drag Radials out back.

Here is a list of everything the car has done to it.

Stock Long Block w/
- Patriot .660 Dual Springs
- Hardened Pushrods
- Custom Comp Cam (239/247 .623/.623 110 LSA)
- Vengence Ported FAST 92 Intake and a Nick Williams 96mm TB
- ARH 1 7/8" Long Tubes with 5" Long 3" Dia. race mufflers
- ASP under drive pulley
- Katech rod bolts
- MSD plug wires
-Custom Aluminum Cold Air Intake
TH400 RMVB
-Aluminum LS1 removable Bell Housing
- FTI 9" 4500 Nitrous Stall
-TCI Trans Brake
Strange 12 bolt
- Spool
- Narrowed 3 inches on each side
-Custom Anti Roll Bar
- Gun drilled 35 Spline axles
- Chromoly yoke
Strange Drag Brakes
-Front and Rear
-Manual Brake Master Cylinder
Afco Shocks
-Front Afco Double adjustable Coil Over Shocks 275lb Springs
-Rear Afco Double adjustable Coil Over Shocks 150lb Springs
Manual Steering
-Burkhart Chassis Manual Steering Conversion
Suspension
-PA Racing K-member and Solid Engine Stands
-Madman racing Torque Arm
-Rear Offset Lower Control Arms
-Adjustable Panhard Bar
-Burkhart Chassis Manual Steering Mount, Rack, and Shaft
Interior:
-6pt Molly Cage
-Autometer 5” Tach
-Kirkey Seat
Wheels and Tires
-HoleShot Revolver 15x10 4.5” BS and 15x3.5 Wheels
-Hoosier 275/60/15 DR's and Hoosier Fronts 27x4.5”
-Nitro Dave's 92mm Plate Kit
- Trick Window Switch
- 15lb and 10lb bottles

Here are some random wheelie photo's also. I will get some new pictures tomorrow since it's saturday after I wash it and take some new underhood and interior shots. It's nothing special but it damn sure is mine and I'm gonna make due with what I got till I feel it doesn't have anything left in it

All these wheelies were done on motor

Here is a slip of my PB so far with the set-up...

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. I'll have more up tomorrow like I said.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that thing is sick looking man!! Love it. Who fabbed that front end with the moly bars?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Looks real good. Good luck on chasing that record.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Thank you for the compliments Josh and Zracer.

Josh- 1cdub who is a member on this site did all the front end work, the SYA bars and the anti-roll. He is the one who fabbed up stangkillr's 91mm turbo set-up. He is out of kansas city here is his car you might recognize it...http://youtu.be/ZjP3yxZBFLM

I must say he does some SICK *** weld work. I think he might of done the cage also.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Damn, the car looks good man. good luck!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
Damn, the car looks good man. good luck!
Thank you.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Car looks awesome. I remember it being for sale a while back. How much does it weigh?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXZ28
Car looks awesome. I remember it being for sale a while back. How much does it weigh?
Yea I picked it up, and I've just recently as of today been informed since I bought someone else car that it isn't mine and what I'm doing has been done before. Go figure.

Car weighed 2740 empty when I got it. I've probably added close to 30 pounds empty to it and I'm 6'2 225 so I'm thinking 3000ish.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Spray it deep into the 9s and they will shut up. My next race car will be built already. Way cheaper and easier on my damn back.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lookin car. Best of luck on hitting the number.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Im glad to see the cars in good hands and youre having fun with it. Since they decided to close our track I figured it was time to sell it. The cage was also done by Collin (1cdub). He is one bad *** fabricator. We are very lucky to have someone with his talent locally. Keep us posted on that quest for 5s!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXZ28
Spray it deep into the 9s and they will shut up. My next race car will be built already. Way cheaper and easier on my damn back.
That was exactly my logic.

I'm with you on the spray it deep into the 9's part though
Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Minshall
Im glad to see the cars in good hands and youre having fun with it. Since they decided to close our track I figured it was time to sell it. The cage was also done by Collin (1cdub). He is one bad *** fabricator. We are very lucky to have someone with his talent locally. Keep us posted on that quest for 5s!!!!
Minshall what's up buddy!

Glad to see you popped your head in. You really had a solid set-up that Josh improved upon with the added suspension pieces and new valvetrain set-up.

When I got it I re-plotted the suspension, changed all the shock settings, leaned the tune out everywhere(idle, cruise, wot) and extracted nearly another two tenths out of a pretty much maxed out all-motor car. I'd say we all did pretty good making the most out of stock junk!!!

1cdub is a bad mother f'er. That man does some of the prettiest welds I have ever seen in pictures and have the good fortune and pride to have his welds on my car now. He is heads and shoulders above talent wise what you normally find "locally" although here in NC racing is huge and there are great shops.

Hope to have her in that 5 second club this coming week!

Jmill- Thank you man, how do you like your BS3 nitrous set-up?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Here is a better shot of the tubular bumper support also.

Sorry about not getting the pictures of the race car up today, I had a PT Cruiser, a S-10 to wash, grass to cut, weed eating mulch etc. today. Too busy and tired to mess with it.

Tomorrow, I promise
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

First / only time I hit the track with it I went .74. It makes tuning and logging really nice. I took a couple years off, but I've got the new 347 in the garage ready to give you guys a run.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
First / only time I hit the track with it I went .74. It makes tuning and logging really nice. I took a couple years off, but I've got the new 347 in the garage ready to give you guys a run.
347 huh? Now you know that isn't fair you having that one cubic inch advantage I will most certainly protest

.74 as in 5.74, or .74 as in 9.74?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 AM
10 Second Club

9.74. My junk only went 6.12 to the 1/8. I just never had time to get anything dialed in. Short season in Alaska. I'm gonna stick with this new combo for a while

I'm really liking that tubular front end you've got. Looks clean
Old 05-27-2012, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Yea I picked it up, and I've just recently as of today been informed since I bought someone else car that it isn't mine and what I'm doing has been done before. Go figure.

Car weighed 2740 empty when I got it. I've probably added close to 30 pounds empty to it and I'm 6'2 225 so I'm thinking 3000ish.

I would just ignore those types of folks! Apparently they have not noticed how much you have done to the car switching it from a cam only car to a power adder car.

The last time I checked a race car does not care who owns it they just want as much money spent on them as the owner is willing to fork out and they also like to be kept dry and covered up when someone is not spending that money on them or beating on them at the racetrack!!

As far as putting it in the 9's in the 1/4 mile if it ran 6 teens in the 1/8 mile the other night and if the car can run as strong on the 2nd half of the track as it did in the first half of the track that would be a 9.50 +/- so I would say you have made the car yours.

Now go find a 1/4 mile track and show us what it will do !

One final thing, I would love to get my car down to 3,000 lbs. on race day instead of 3,300 lbs.

N2

Last edited by N2RACINGLS1's; 05-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is a sweet, light setup. I have been reading and watching your progress with the times in the car. Keeps getting faster. Nice to see more and more people give these lil 346s a chance at going fast.

Keep up the good work.. And forget all the haters that say you bought and didnt build, you will always have people who are jealous and find some way to put someone else down.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
I would just ignore those types of folks! Apparently they have not noticed how much you have done to the car switching it from a cam only car to a power adder car.

The last time I checked a race car does not care who owns it they just want as much money spent on them as the owner is willing to fork out and they also like to be kept dry and covered up when someone is not spending that money on them or beating on them at the racetrack!!

As far as putting it in the 9's in the 1/4 mile if it ran 6 teens in the 1/8 mile the other night and if the car can run as strong on the 2nd half of the track as it did in the first half of the track that would be a 9.50 +/- so I would say you have made the car yours.

Now go find a 1/4 mile track and show us what it will do !

One final thing, I would love to get my car down to 3,000 lbs. on race day instead of 3,300 lbs.

N2
N2, those are some really kind words coming from you. That honestly really makes me feel like I did some kind of right.

I sure felt like this thing was mine after taking the transmission out of it, installing a trans brake with my buddy, rebuilding the trans with new seals and clutches/steels etc. having the stall tightened and re installed by myself and a friend. I have never done as much of my own work on a car until I got this one. The way Minshall and Collin built it makes it simple and a snap to work on with no added fuss of things that aren't needed.

As far as staying covered she stays in the garage

I think if I ever ran 1/4 I probably couldn't run more than the tune-up I have in it now. I had the stall's shift extension made really aggressive for 1/8th mile so that the shifts would only drop 700-750rpm in between shifts mainly due to the small cubes and 3 speed trans. I wanted to take advantage of the extra shift, almost like a lenco 3 speed would. The converter is really soft off the line allowing the radial to hook, but it locks up HARD at the 60'-100' mark and starts freight training.

I'd like to see what it has in the 1/4 though, just aren't many 1/4 tracks as close as I have piedmont(1/8th) 6 miles from my house.

I bet there is an easy 200lbs to take off the nose like Minshall and Collin did to mine!

Quick Reply: My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware