Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock bottom end. how much cam i push it to??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock bottom end. how much cam i push it to??

i have 99 trans am 99 motor ported to hell 241's, arp head bolts, ms3 on 112, ls7 lifters with 20k miles, full bolt on's, victor jr efi with low pro elbow, 42lb injectors upgrading fuel system to aeromotive a1000 with fuel cell and regulator.

i was thinking a 200 shot two different stages, so it would be easier on the motor. em i pushing the bottom end too far? what would be a good fun safe nitrous shot for my set up.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Launching!

you are not pushing it to far, there are guys here that have put a hell of a lot more through their motors, keep the tuneup safe and on point and you should have no issues at all. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

you should be perfectly fine on a 200. You need to check plugs, and get your tune spot on to make sure that everything is good.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, thanks guys. my brother is telling me that i might be pushing it too far and i dont want to blow it. i just finished buildig it my self. i did the heads and cam timing myslef the car is running really strong. but id like to get it tuned one time and not pay for more tuning.

should i do just one hit, dual stage, or progressive?

so, what would u guys say would be pushing it too far?

i still dont have arp in the bottomend will this make a big difference?

how much is the fuel system capable of holding?

i had #7 plugs in it but with the head and cam swap, i fould the plugs out i guess it was running to rich for such cold plugs. i put the 6 back in and it runns alot better now

should be running an #8 plg for 200 hit correct?

i hasve no more ac so now its alot better to change plugs more offten lol
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i think this is a better way of asking my question
if i get the tuner to get the car to run at a set afr with n/a timing. will i be able to get a timming twister back up timming and start the nitrous tuning myself? im in the process of getting a wideband with the fuel system.
will i have to do the n/a tuning with the #8 plugs for the car to run right?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the fuel curve dialed in right on motor with a 6 plug.

Get a way to pull timing yourself.

Use an 8 plug on the 200 shot and read the plugs. Not just one of them...at least 4 one from each corner at minimum.

Get a wide band and use it as reference don't live and die by it.

One stage right off the trans brake. No other way to do it IMO for a 200 shot.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Get the fuel curve dialed in right on motor with a 6 plug.

Get a way to pull timing yourself.

Use an 8 plug on the 200 shot and read the plugs. Not just one of them...at least 4 one from each corner at minimum.

Get a wide band and use it as reference don't live and die by it.

One stage right off the trans brake. No other way to do it IMO for a 200 shot.
thanks man, so if i get everything dialed in na i can get the timming twister and wid band go from there. reading the wide band and the plugs should get me there? look like ill be flying soon compeared to the people i know lol

thanks for te info so far guy keep em coming
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much will it hold with stock bolts?

my lil brother told me that the 99 hold more power than the 98?

im afraid of the arp rod bolts cuz of that stretch they talk about. i have arp head one's but the rod ones talk about the bolt stretching and causing issues. what u guys say about that ?

and i also saw the mains studs is this a good idea ?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Rod bolts, head studs and mains will help.

You should be able to hit 200 on the stock stuff but make sure that your tune is dialed in with some b8efs
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
Rod bolts, head studs and mains will help.

You should be able to hit 200 on the stock stuff but make sure that your tune is dialed in with some b8efs
ok so tune the car N/A on the b8efs and then go tune by plug on the spray later correct? i want to be dead on, on this. i want to also learn how to tune the nitrous on my own.. im tired of paying for tuning.

can run the 8 plug and hit it with 100 shot and go growing in to the 200 adding and pulling timing?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lsxTAlemy
ok so tune the car N/A on the b8efs and then go tune by plug on the spray later correct? i want to be dead on, on this. i want to also learn how to tune the nitrous on my own.. im tired of paying for tuning.

can run the 8 plug and hit it with 100 shot and go growing in to the 200 adding and pulling timing?
You don't have to tune the car on motor with the B8EFS plugs.

You may want to adjust the tune in the idle regions in preparation for the colder plugs. They like more timing and a leaner AFR at idle than a warmer plug does.

The best way to get this started once your tune up is good N/A...find a good long stretch of road you can start off in 1st gear, punch it, go to 2nd and run it out in 3rd for as long as the road will let you....cut it off at WOT(don't turn the key so far that it locks the column as I've done that before at the track and it was a scary "OH ****" moment for sure) and let it coast down to your safe spot off the side of the road where you can then pull your plugs and replace them with your -6 N/A plugs.

Replace those 8 plugs with your -6 plugs, drive it home and cut those -8 nitrous plugs open with a dremel or use the chuck of a drill to hold the plug and hold a hacksaw to the last of the threads on the plug to cut it open so we can get a good look at the fuel ring. Take pictures of all 8 and the fuel ring once cut open and upload those pictures to photo bucket or something similar and let us analyze them for you.

That way we can tell you what to look for and what not to do. That will be the only way you can learn yourself.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

200 shot on the street! i don't think i have a long enough street for that and my local track doesn't have a spot to park on the side to actually pull the plugs what do u guys recommend for pulling timing? something good and easy to use.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

200 shot on the street! i don't think i have a long enough street for that and my local track doesn't have a spot to park on the side to actually pull the plugs what do u guys recommend for pulling timing? something good and easy to use.
How do you plan on getting an accurate reading on the plugs then?

Plan it out now, and do it correctly...trust me...you'll thank me in the long run when you're not picking up the pieces to your short block .
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

If you have no place to perform plug chops on the street then go to the track and tow it back to the pits. Listen closely to Martin.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
How do you plan on getting an accurate reading on the plugs then?

Plan it out now, and do it correctly...trust me...you'll thank me in the long run when you're not picking up the pieces to your short block .
ok, ill just have to pick up my boy 4 wheeler for when i cut off at the end of the track i can tow back. im going to pick up the aem wide band today and im looking for a set of used 42 lb injectors on the classifieds and go from there. i need some more info on other stuff too. ill be asking on here so i don't open up a bunch of threads

thanks for all the help so far!

let me know what u think for a timing device. i don't know computers much so id rather have something like a timing twister or something like it. i have a msd window switch already, i might not even need that not more with the new device.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by high impact
If you have no place to perform plug chops on the street then go to the track and tow it back to the pits. Listen closely to Martin.
i will man trust me i don't want to destroy my 8 moths of hard work and a split sec lol
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

ok, ill just have to pick up my boy 4 wheeler for when i cut off at the end of the track i can tow back. im going to pick up the aem wide band today and im looking for a set of used 42 lb injectors on the classifieds and go from there. i need some more info on other stuff too. ill be asking on here so i don't open up a bunch of threads

thanks for all the help so far!

let me know what u think for a timing device. i don't know computers much so id rather have something like a timing twister or something like it. i have a msd window switch already, i might not even need that not more with the new device.
Call NX or N20 outlet for a timing retard device as I think they keep some in stock.

If you've got a 4 wheeler tow it to the lanes and back from the lanes. You would not believe the difference in the look of the plug when you tow it up and back. Much cleaner and easier to read.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

i don't want to destroy my 8 moths of hard work and a split sec lol
Oh man! This is what I am thinking as I install my nitrous now too.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Oh man! This is what I am thinking as I install my nitrous now too.
yea man im trying to get as much in for from these nitrous guys so i can actually mak it last for a while
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

200 IMHO will be at the edge.

I would use a 9 plug.

No rod bolts is what is going to kill you.

my car had them and bent a rod.
Buddies car had them and we were spraying quite a bit more then you, and it threw rods out of both sides of the block. pretty much destroyed every last piece on the motor.

how many miles on the bottom end?

Quick Reply: stock bottom end. how much cam i push it to??