Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Cube LS1 6 Spd Nitrous Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard of nasty but haven't looked into them yet. I only intended to swap clutch, suspension and k-member this winter but once I tore it down and figured prices of freshening up the bottom just decided to build it right. That's when the forged parts were scrounged up and it went to the machine shop...maybe a little overboard but I feel I can throw a bigger hit at it or boost it some day with less worry.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by high impact
Not a problem! I am no expert with the LS platform but have a lot of experience with old school chevy engines. I am learning about LS engines and consider myself dangerous so please always take my advice with a grain of salt and double check with the experts. LOL

Yes, morel tie bar lifters are salty. Cam Motion is in testing now and hoping to produce a low lash solid roller set up with morel drop in lifters (utilizing the stock trays) for not much more than the price of a good hydraulic set up. I would contact them directly for any pricing options. I am pretty sure if you give Cam Motion a call they will take great care of you with the entire package or any combination of parts. I do know that Cam Motion has the lifters available as a private label and should provide a better value from a pricing standpoint.

I've got a 50% off deal from Kip at Cam Motion because he used several of the names I came up with when he was looking for self cam names, so that might be an option down the road. I wonder how one of these cams/valve train setups would do with boost (Procharger)?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

didnt read the whole thread but what clutch are you running? id put more gear in it and a 28" tire also. what suspension setup?

i know its way late judging by the pics but to answer some of the original questions i would have shot for around 11.7:1 on 93 oct and a stand alone with race fuel and just stayed hyd roller till you got good heads and went more compression.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

I am currently running a Monster stage 3 clutch. This started out as a budget build. Oops. lol

I may gear it more later after I see how the 3.73 with 27 inch tall tires works out on a 200 shot. A standalone will be in the works in the near future and I'd love a super victor but where does this really end if I don't draw a line somewhere. I am not spraying this thing right away (hopefully by mid-summer) since I want to break it in and take some time to tune this cam set up. I do wish I would have a little more compression and aftermarket heads but since I am this deep into the build I am going to try out my handiwork on the 241 heads. I ended up at 11.2 to 1 compression because I didn't want to deck the block since I am pretty confident that I will boost this bottom end in a couple years. I still think even with the stock heads and mild compression it will be a pretty stout combination.

I also don't see any drawback from running a solid set up even on the street except for the additional cost of adjustable rockers. The solid cam will offer the benefit of greater torque, better rpm potential, slight HP increase and no fear of lifter issues.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should run a single plane intake and spin it to the moon
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love the build, and the detail you're posting up! Good stuff! I look forward to what you produce with the valvetrain setup you're running.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
Should run a single plane intake and spin it to the moon
That's seems to be on the radar next. LOL This build is getting out of hand quickly.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

I am overdue for an update:

I tried grinding spacers and used the taller gaskets YT sends with rockers. No go! I ended up with these Mast valve covers but they still didn't even come close to clearing the YT adjustable rockers

So I got out the grinder again on the valve covers - almost made me sick but heres what I did

ended up with this
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

These stinking YT rockers still hit so I ground even more. LOL

Then I double checked lash. Set lash to .002 cold and let it warm up, double checked lash hot and they were at .015-.017. Was not happy with that, expanded much more than we had anticipated.

So the decision was made to quit screwing around and run the Jesel adjustable rockers

Installed the Jesel rockers, set lash to .002, ran car to temperature, checked hot lash and came up with .011-.012. This is what was expected! Finally, rockers clear and they hold lash much better. These Jesel rockers are incredibly nice pieces!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Well, it's together and I made a few break in drives with some buddies and my son. Here is a shot of my son's camaro and my Formula in the front yard along with a buddies gto. Sure felt good to get the Formula out again.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

While I was out on one of the drives I decided to stop by a scale and see how much weight I shed this winter with my reduction attempt. I was extremely disappointed when I was handed this weight slip

Old 05-26-2014, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, I would not be too disappointed with that weight! Your Formy is going to be a runner for sure.

N2
Old 05-26-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that with or without you in it?
Old 05-26-2014, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

Scale operator claims it was without me in it. What's bizare is my son did similar weight reduction (but a little less) on his camaro and on the same scale weighs 3200
Old 05-30-2014, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Had a carrier bearing bite the dust after 170 miles on the new build but the rearend was starting to howl anyway. It was obviously ready to go then sitting all winter didn't help. Pressed new carrier and pinion bearings, reused the old gear set, reset shimmed backlash to .008. Installed a UMI drag bar set up and a Trick Flow aluminum cover...took it for a little blast tonight. Rear is much more quiet now except some gear whine on deceleration. ;-/ I will run these 3.73 gears a while before I decide what gear ratio I want to stick with.

Kind of a mess but you get the idea. I do NOT enjoy working on the floor while I have a lift sitting in storage - my garage ceiling is too low. One day soon I will sell it and pick up a shorter one that will fit in my garage. lol

Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Decided I didn't like the decel noise and if I was setting up gears to do it right. Picked up a set of new Richmond 4.10 gears, pulled the rear-end out, new bearings, new ring/pinion, cleaned housing inside and outside. While it was out I pressure washed suspension parts and double checked everything thoroughly. Pinion depth set with .030 shim, backlash at .010. A couple of pictures of gear pattern

Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Had brand new u-joints installed in my steel driveshaft and had it balanced at Indiana Driveline. Dave is a great guy to deal with!!!

Painting rear-end outside on a beautiful evening
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Also picked up a set of Trick Flow 215 CNC heads from a buddy. These will go to the machine shop to be freshened up/checked out and I will need to decide how much to mill off the deck. I am going to get some et and trap speed numbers with the ported 241 heads before I swap them out with the trick flow then retest to see the difference. I wonder how much I can pick up from ported 241 to Trick flows? This will be exciting to find out the difference.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Awesome stuff. What's your goal?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

I hope to see very low 11's N/A with the 241 heads, high 10's N/A with the Trick Flow heads and use the plate kit to see 9's. After I master the N/A/nitrous build I will most likely be doing a boost build to hopefully put the car in the 8's. I have an idea of a time line but I am certainly not in a hurry. I want to enjoy wrenching in the garage, testing, building it correctly and then driving it. I like to continually better what the car is capable of but know that I am quickly approaching the point of no return...and have lost sight of budget already. lol

Quick Reply: Stock Cube LS1 6 Spd Nitrous Build