Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum Safe Shot

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum Safe Shot

Hey guys i have street/strip car that I have installed a nitrous outlet 102mm plate kit on with a nos mini progressive/window switch. I upgraded the main feed line to -6 to be able to shoot 400 but I do not plan to shoot over 300 anytime soon. I am running lonnies twin 255s in the tank with a -8 feed and -6 return. My rails are plumbed in series and my nitrous solenoid feeds off the end of the passenger rail. My question is will my fuel system support the maximum shot of this kit and does the engine have a chance?

LQ4 Block 414ci
Callies Dragonslayer Crank/ Compstar Rods
Diamond forged pistons 10.6ish compression
317 heads with mild porting
NGK BR7EF plugs gapped .023
Comp 227 235 614 621 113+3 Cam
ARP main & head studs
Fast 102mm Intake
Old 08-13-2016, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd would say the pumps should support it. Not sure how much hp they're rated for. Go in steps and keep an eye on the fuel pressure. There's a cpl ways to do that. Install a gauge in the car when spraying just watch it or arm the system. Leave the bottle closed. Disconnect the fuel solenoid line and put it in a bottle so fuel doesn't spray everywhere and watch the gauge.

Car can be off and u don't want to put all that extra fuel in and flood. Some ppl leave it running and do it with it connected. The car will just bog down or even shut off. I personally take the line off and have it spray into something. Just have someone hold it.

I would go with a colder plug. Atleast 8s but probably 9s. And imo I don't think the cam will have enough exhaust duration to get all the extra exhaust out.

I'm not a cam expert but mine is a custom nitrous cam for a smaller 6.0 and has alot more intake and exhaust duration.

You have good internals so that part of the motor will be fine. You just might need a different cam in order for the bigger shots to make a difference.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

As far as pulling off the rails, the most you should probably do is about 250HP. More than that, you run the risk of draining the rails when the nitrous comes on. You'd benefit from running a separate line and regulator for the nitrous system- plus you'd be able to fine tune the fuel pressure on it. Your cam should be fine, but you may benefit from having a cam spec'd for nitrous with as much as you're wanting to spray. Even though you aren't running a big duration, you have lots of lift on the exhaust side so you should be able to get the heat out. You'd also need to run some colder plugs depending on how much you end up spraying. What's your CR and how much power are you making on motor? It sounds like you have a nice build- any pics?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

on my Fast intake 98 and 102 I started to run into some distribution problems when started to run 300 shot. I have the Nitrous Outlet dual stage 102 and 98 plate system.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJatNitrousOutlet
As far as pulling off the rails, the most you should probably do is about 250HP. More than that, you run the risk of draining the rails when the nitrous comes on. You'd benefit from running a separate line and regulator for the nitrous system- plus you'd be able to fine tune the fuel pressure on it. Your cam should be fine, but you may benefit from having a cam spec'd for nitrous with as much as you're wanting to spray. Even though you aren't running a big duration, you have lots of lift on the exhaust side so you should be able to get the heat out. You'd also need to run some colder plugs depending on how much you end up spraying. What's your CR and how much power are you making on motor? It sounds like you have a nice build- any pics?
First time I have ever heard that advice about lift on the exhaust side. Valve events are more important than lift itself. His cam is not anywhere close to where it needs to be for a nitrous setup in a 414 cube motor.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
And imo I don't think the cam will have enough exhaust duration to get all the extra exhaust out.

I'm not a cam expert but mine is a custom nitrous cam for a smaller 6.0 and has alot more intake and exhaust duration.
Originally Posted by Killer5.3
First time I have ever heard that advice about lift on the exhaust side. Valve events are more important than lift itself. His cam is not anywhere close to where it needs to be for a nitrous setup in a 414 cube motor.
My thoughts exactly
Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
I'm not saying there isn't better cams out there for nitrous, because a nitrous cam would really help with this combo. But for what he's wanting to do, the cam he has shouldn't lead to any issues.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you elaborate more about getting heat out of chamber with exhaust lift instead of exhaust valve opening and closing points? Just trying to learn something new. Also what timing and plug would you suggest with the op setup on 300 worth of jet?

Quick Reply: Maximum Safe Shot