Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got the call on my nitrous solenoids..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:25 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Just got the call on my nitrous solenoids..

I have had my nitrous kit on the corvette for over a year and had no problems until recently. The power fell off and didn't seem like it had that inital pop. David over @ TNT called and said that the Nitrous solenoid was fine but the fuel solenoid was swollen pretty bad. He confirmed that was the reason my car didn't want to pick up any on the hose. They upgrade the pistons to resist some of the new fuels and they will be back here tuesday. I only gained 6mph on a 150 shot....To be continued.
Phillip
Old 07-16-2004, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EEEK...

Have you run a compression test? You might have leaned the motor out really bad...
Old 07-16-2004, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

I just installed one of their upgraded pistons too, it's compatable with nitromethane and ethanol. So far it's working great, my original plunger swelled up in less than two months.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Cold Fusion Nitrous Solenoids are purchased from Peter Paul electronics. Peter Paul is the largest manufacture of solenoids in the world. Cold Fusion solenoids have a new high tech plunger that will work with all fuels. Cold Fusion has agreed to pay a little extra so that all solenoids are outfitted with the new technology. Also, all of there nitrous solenoid plungers have a new plunger technology as well that is bubble tight! no leakage...
Old 07-20-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I just installed one of their upgraded pistons too, it's compatable with nitromethane and ethanol. So far it's working great, my original plunger swelled up in less than two months.
How much for the solenoid rebuild? PM if you want. I think I should upgrade my fuel solenoid too.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Just give TNT a call and tell them that you need the piston that holds up better with nitromethane additives and ethanol. I think it was $45 shipped 2nd day air for the piston and solenoid tool.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Just give TNT a call and tell them that you need the piston that holds up better with nitromethane additives and ethanol. I think it was $45 shipped 2nd day air for the piston and solenoid tool.
Is it a hard job to change the piston?

Josh
Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

so what additive is actually causing the pistons to swell. i just got an F2 kit put on my 04 Z06 a few weeks ago, and i sure don't want a bad soloniod causing me to ruin my engine.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

David told me that nitromethane additives will cause the piston seal to swell. I have never used nitromethane additives but I believe it was the ethanol or other oxignators that Sunoco uses in their fuels. I don't see many other people having this issue and gas companies will change the oxiginate mixtures according to the area you live in. I am just above a pollution controlled area so I believe they are giving us the cleaner burning fuels with more oxginates that they use just south of me. Gas stations are suposed to disclose this at the pump (ie: you will see a sign that says something like "this fuel contains MTBE") yet the local Sunoco gas stations say nothing.

Josh the piston change is super simple (make sure you buy the tool), it takes 5 minutes. Basicly, you take the nut off the top of the noid, remove the coil, then unscrew the post with the tool. The post is hollow and inside it is a metal barrel that looks like it has a pencil eraser pressed in one end and their is a spring on the other end (all this is the piston assembly). You simply replace the piston (reuse the old spring) and reassemble everthing, then test the noid.

Here's a pic of the piston. Notice the seal, it should be flush with the end of the piston.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Do they check out solenoids for free?

Recently I have been losing a few MPH up top and can't figure out why.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

yeah does TNT rebuild solenoids like NX does for free?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

well we get that oxiginated crap here in El Paso so i guess i should go ahead and replace mine also.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:51 PM

Citgo gas did it to mine about 2 years ago. Im suprised they havent fixed that problem yet.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I paid like 20-25 for the rebuild, my piston looked exactly like the one posted above...
Old 07-20-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

so how many people has this happened to and why don't they include the more durable piston in the newer kits? maybe TNT will chime in. i am realy worried now since i know we have the crap gas here.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

I test my solenoids EVERYTIME I go to the track. Stories like this are the reason why.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

what if you run into one of those pesky supras or crouch rockets on the highway and want to make an example of them, wouldn't it be nice to have piece of mind?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by algws6
so how many people has this happened to and why don't they include the more durable piston in the newer kits? maybe TNT will chime in. i am realy worried now since i know we have the crap gas here.

Ok well ill chime in then lol.. But on the seroius side if you run nitrous regardless of the brand, you need to check the solenoids out occasionally. They are a simple design that takes just a few minutes to make sure that there working properly, and as everyone was asking we will check the solenoids out for free, the only thing you will pay for is shipping and any parts that need to be replaced. If the piston needs to be replaced then they are $29, and we will check out any other brand solenoids for free as well but due to the variance in sizes, we might not be able to aquire replacement pistons. As for the "new" fuel piston from PP, it is not invincible by any means.. It helps in areas where the normal piston swells, but it will swell in areas where the normal dosent, so thats why they still come with the standard piston. I hope that helps answer your question, and theres no need to worry, if anything you can get a sol wrench $5 and check them out yourself occasionally to know for sure..
Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have rebuilt a few solenoids in NOS kits. there kit comes with a plunger or piston and the nut/wrench. They also ofer a plunger that is compatible with alcohol and nitro methane. If everyone is having a problem then one would think that the manufactures would come out with an improved design. The rubber seal at the end of the plunger is what is going to swell. The problem that I see is that the seal has to be a soft materal so it seals well like rubber or silicone. almost all the new car fuel systems come with a hard plastic or a teflon inner steelbradied hose. They are real resistant to all the new chemicals but the materal is too hard to be adapted to use in the plunger. I would upgrade to the alcohol/ nitro plunger and keep an eye on it. Now does anyone know how to get a hold of NX so I can redo my solenoids? I would just as soon rebuild them myself it will probably cause more to ship than for the parts even if they do it for free.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Just happened to me. Using Sunoco 94, good thing it happened on the dyno, A/F was heading past 18

Bad pic, but better then nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Just got the call on my nitrous solenoids..-picture014.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just got the call on my nitrous solenoids..