Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Nitrous controllers bad for solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 03:54 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Progressive Nitrous controllers bad for solenoids?

Someone told me that Progressive controllers are very hard on nitrous solenoids. Can anyone confirm this? Why are they hard on the solenoids?
Phillip
Old 08-10-2004, 04:21 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda, progressive controllers open and close the noids real fast. I would imagine 1 prgressive run is about the same as 20 off and ons. Maybee more, I'd have to do the math.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club

It is alot harder on the noids. You will need to rebuild them ever so often if you use a controler. It also depends on how much you use the controller. If you are only controlling 50% ramped to 100% in .1 second then you aren't hurting them as bad as you are for delaying the ramp rate for a longer period of time.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

everyone is correct. 1 1/4 mile pass leaving at 50% power increased to 100% within 2 seconds opens and closes the solenoids over 100 times. We suggest replacing solenoids every 20 - 30 passes if a controller is being used. We offer a $40.00 exchange no questions asked, does not matter whos solenoids they are. We will replace your old one for a brand new one same size and flow. We are the only nitrous company out there that has this type of customer service. I think I will make a post with the exchange service we offer. it beats having to rebuild them thats for sure.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gets worn out? The magnet?

Magnets are $43 from NX and they'll replace every other component for free ($10 freight)
Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by juiSSed1172
What gets worn out? The magnet?

Magnets are $43 from NX and they'll replace every other component for free ($10 freight)

Its not as hard on the magnet as it is on the piston, and they can be easily dissasembled to be checked. Just get you a sol wrench and check them your self..
Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What should you look for on the piston? Swelling?
Phillip
Old 08-11-2004, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The solenoids that NX and TNT offer are desighned to take the abuse that comes from the controller.Yes it is harder on them but just like with everything else you should check maintence on your system every now and then anyways.Be carefull in the solenoids you go with there are companys out there that try to build there product up to something it isnt.Just because it may come from the same manafacture does not mean it is built the same or as good of a quality.Do your research......Oh yeah NX offers a lifetime warranty on solenoids so you can just send them in for FREE and have them rebuilt so why settle for less and have to pay.TNT offers the following.They cover all manafacture defects.They will rebuild your solenoid from normal ware and tear for 20.00.
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Performance; 08-11-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Performance
The solenoids that NX and TNT offer are desighned to take the abuse that comes from the controller.Yes it is harder on them but just like with everything else you should check maintence on your system every now and then anyways.Be carefull in the solenoids you go with there are companys out there that try to build there product up to something it isnt.Just because it may come from the same manafacture does not mean it is built the same or as good of a quality.Do your research......Oh yeah NX offers a lifetime warranty on solenoids so you can just send them in for FREE and have them rebuilt so why settle for less and have to pay.TNT offers the following.They cover all manafacture defects.They will rebuild your solenoid from normal ware and tear for 20.00.
Dave

LOL!!!! $500.00 for the NX kit plus $300.00 for a life time warranty = $800.00 NX kit.. I'll do it for $200.00. For those kind of prices we can give life time warranties on solenoids also!!! Our standard solenoid warranty is the same as TNT. We warranty all solenoids against manufactures defects! I'll send a employee to a local NX dealer and we will take a pic of the solenoid, proof of purchase receipt, ect. take it apart and compare our solenoid to a NX. the only difference will be the engraving on the body. Its time for consumers to know the facts. We are taking the out of the nitrous world! like it or not!

Nitrous Mike
Old 08-12-2004, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,You should study the market a little more.The lifetime warrenty does not cost any extra.The kit sells in the 500 range.Yes more expensive than your kits but a hell of alot better quality.All your parts are is old school nos parts.You could mark your stuff down to 5.00 and all ill still have to say is you get what you pay for.Atleast you know what your is worth.

Guys Im sorry for being erresponsible and getting on his level but I am tired of the direct shots that have been taking on me since this guy came on this board.He claims to have cheap prices which he does.But he also claims to have equal quality which he doesnt.He is misleading people to get them to buy his product.Which I beleave no one is.
I will say this I have enjoyed bieng a member of this site.I have also enjoyed making as many friends as I have on this site.And I have enjoyed every time I have been part of helping someone with there problems.I do not come on here just for buisness.This site is like no other site that I visit.I feel at home here.Unfortintly everytime I get on here lately I get Pissed off.It is hard to remain professional when you have someone that you know is misleading people and actually thinking people are stupid enough to buy there countless lines of BS.This has nothing to do with competetion because there is real competetion on this board.You do not see them acting this way.They are very professional.Most sponcers on here have a sponsor type moral.Hell most of the sponsors on here are always helping each other out behind the scenes and thats awesome.Competetion is a good thing it normally keeps companys coming out with newer and better parts at better prices for the consumer.I have always ran a clean and honest buisness and that is what has helped us get to where we are.I have never bashed another company or there product until now.It is not professional and I am not happy that I have been put in this perdictament.
I fill that I have become a target and will no longer be a part of it.People like this guy come and go in this buisness all the time but this class act is the first I have seen.Yes I am taking it personal.
Ill be real honest with you.Buy the end of the day I may be pulling my sponcership here.It would be easer that way just so I do not continue getting mad and make myself look like an idiot like this guy.If you guys have any tech questions please call me.I am going to try to stay off the board today.
Thank you for your support and again I am sorry for the 5 year old act.
Dave
Old 08-12-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I am with Dave totally. Totally unprofessional to knock another vendor's product.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

All of this is insane.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

whoa Dave came out guns blazing on this one. I do know that a lot of people on here have your back Dave, I wouldn't even consider pulling your sponsorship here though. There are so many people here that have nothing but good things to say about you and your company. Dont letwhole sale nitrous d!ck change your views about LS1tech.

Last edited by Bad Habit Bird; 08-14-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok...keep this on topic.
Progressive controllers hard on noids.......
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

just for the record let me just say here that no amount of bickering & bashing from some johnny come lately is gonna pull my allegiance from dave-this man offers service & reliable parts that i know that i can count on.for example after his tech installed my kit [ along w/spec3 clutch] dave offered to drive to my house 2 hrs away to take a ride w/me in my car to familiarize me w/how to safely use my n20 set up on myz06 after the 500 mile break in on the spec3.it's a small thing to some, but to me it speaks volumes regarding the supplier i'll be buying my stuff from!competion is good, but it seems to me lately every time dave replies or posts on this forum the "other" guy tries to turn it into a ***** matching contest.this is no way to aquire new business & very unproffesional imho.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Don't let him get you riled up Dave. Your service record and quality products speak for themselves.

As for "the other guy", this isn't a backwoods swap meet so please refrain from being abrasive to the other vendors, especially one that has gone above/beyond to help us here so many times like Dave has. It makes you look very unprofessional and low class to make personal attacks against Dave on this board.

I'm very very happy with my NX kit, and am always happy with the parts and service I get from NitrousOutlet/Dave.

JMHO,
Bad30th
Old 08-14-2004, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

The Nitrous Maximizer (made by FJO, marketed by NX) has an adjustable pulse rate. The default is 14 hz, and according to it's manual:

"14 hz is the correct settings for NX solneoids. If you have another brand of solenoid you will have to determine the correct setting".

Hopefully this means that NX has determined that their solenoids (either via testing or hopefully (but doubtfully) via calculating the resonanant frequency of the moving parts in the solenoid, based on it's mass, then putting an appropriate spring in there).

After having talked to a few of the guys at NX my opinion of them has dropped substantially and I doubt that they have the knowledge to accomplish this. Not to bash NX, from what I've seen their parts are head & shoulders above the competition, but they are not the rocket scientists I had originally assumed.

Never the less - the idea that they have tested their solenoids and know that 14 hz is the best rate for them makes me comfortable. The fact that they're willing to stand behind them and repair any failed ones for free makes me feel pretty good about it really.

If what nitrous mike is saying is true (that they are really the same solneoid, with just different labelling), this changes things drastically. Does anybody have multiple brands of solenoids they can disassemble to verify this?

Steve
Old 08-14-2004, 04:17 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

I have heard that other brand names that come from the same part manufacture is usually ones that don't pass initial quality test. Not to name names but I heard this about noids, ignition coils/distrbtrs, and exhaust. Kinda like the "Day old store" or "damaged box" deal. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I do not know, just what I've been told from a bud in the know. I can usually count on his word.

Slart, the people u talk on the phone with are just that, phone operators. They are usually not engineers. Engineers get paid BIG $ to R&D, manufacture, and process control. Not anser phone calls with "I can't get my kit to work". If u got a perty techy ?, they will almost always have to ask someone else and put u on hold. Do keep in mind that a techy ? for one person is an elemtry one for another. i.e. hooking up a relay, some know, others think it is from Star Trek.

P.S. as an EET, I like the 14Hz. It is a lot easier on the noids then the 25Hz and sometimes 35Hz with other prog cntrlrs. Just a simple adjustment in the duty cycle to compensate for the slower "slam rate".
Old 08-14-2004, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slart
The Nitrous Maximizer (made by FJO, marketed by NX) has an adjustable pulse rate. The default is 14 hz, and according to it's manual:

"14 hz is the correct settings for NX solneoids. If you have another brand of solenoid you will have to determine the correct setting".

Hopefully this means that NX has determined that their solenoids (either via testing or hopefully (but doubtfully) via calculating the resonanant frequency of the moving parts in the solenoid, based on it's mass, then putting an appropriate spring in there).

After having talked to a few of the guys at NX my opinion of them has dropped substantially and I doubt that they have the knowledge to accomplish this. Not to bash NX, from what I've seen their parts are head & shoulders above the competition, but they are not the rocket scientists I had originally assumed.

Never the less - the idea that they have tested their solenoids and know that 14 hz is the best rate for them makes me comfortable. The fact that they're willing to stand behind them and repair any failed ones for free makes me feel pretty good about it really.

If what nitrous mike is saying is true (that they are really the same solneoid, with just different labelling), this changes things drastically. Does anybody have multiple brands of solenoids they can disassemble to verify this?

Steve
i am will to PAY for a non biased tear down of our solenoids and NX, NOS, TNT, Nitrous Works ect. I will talk to any local guy that is willing to go to the local dealers and purchase these solenoids. Then we can FILM the testing and tear down of our solenoid debate. When the real info is found everyone will see that I'm not full of B.S. The local guy needs to have been a member of LS1tech for atleast 2 years and needs to be willing to have a complete non-biased testing process. All I want is for consumers to know the truth.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

You can spread the truth by Your Workmanship and by not Bashing other Vendors.

Quick Reply: Progressive Nitrous controllers bad for solenoids?