Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsing 'noids...HOW BAD IS IT REALLY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing 'noids...HOW BAD IS IT REALLY?

Ok,

PLEASE don't tell me, "It is harder on the solenoids" or "NX noids are built for it" or "my friend says..."

If you have a Progressive on your car, how often do you change/refresh your solenoids??

I wouldn't mind sending mine off to NX, but last time I did that, they were gone for 2 MONTHS!!!!!!

So, seriously, how bad is it on the noids?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been using the same set of NOS solenoids for 8-9 years testing progressive controllers. I have had them apart once for refreshing. I installed teflon seals in the beginning also. The highest bottle pressure I have ever used is 1000psi.
I have found that 920psi or lower works much better at lower strting percentages. Also you can add a +6 volt battery in series to just the nitrous solenoid(+18 volts to nitrous solenoid) to make them more responsive at lower percentages.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Well look at it this way.

It's a mechanical device

It opens and closes

They do over time wear out nothing lasts for ever.

When fluttering a solenoid depending on your settings you're looking at what

10 times opening and closing, 200 times opening a closing in your run? 500 times?

No matter what the numer of times it opens and closes it's simply going to be more wear and tear and that much closer to the end of it's life compared to opening and closing it once on a run.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

That's a hard question to answer, as there are a lot of different variables. It's going to depend on how much the system is used and how long over the RPM band you are pulsing the solenoids. If you are only pulsing for a few thousand RPMs they will last a lot longer then if you are pulsing for 5000 RPMs.

I suggest taking your solenoids apart and checking them often, even when not using a progressive controller. Better to be safe then sorry.

Matt

Originally Posted by 70Stang
Ok,

PLEASE don't tell me, "It is harder on the solenoids" or "NX noids are built for it" or "my friend says..."

If you have a Progressive on your car, how often do you change/refresh your solenoids??

I wouldn't mind sending mine off to NX, but last time I did that, they were gone for 2 MONTHS!!!!!!

So, seriously, how bad is it on the noids?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

LOL I guess i could try and fill up some more space too rofl
Old 09-21-2005, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have installed a great number of systems using progressive controllers.The trick is in the quality of the solenoid...Of course its machanical so it can go out.WE have cars that have been running these set ups for years now with no problems.The other key is also using a progressive unit that can handle the amp draw of the good solenoids.

There is nothing wrong with checking the maintenece of the system from time to time.
Dave
Old 09-22-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Very True Dave.. but with any solenoid we all know they have a life expectancy right? They test these solenoids at the factory and give them x number of operations as an estimated lifespan.. Normal duty for it might be opening and closing 10 times in a day. When pulsing it you could be reducing the expected lifespan 50% or even more? Anything mechanical will wear out the more you use it and make it operate ya know?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen some solenoids that draw 30 amps or more to open and other brands that only draw around 14 amps. The performance of both brands have been proven time and time again. Both work well as the hp and track wins indicate. My question is why would you want to put more of an electrical load on your system if it is not needed? More draw means it takes more hp to run the alternator. Pulsing the high amperage solenoids would introduce more electrical noise also.