Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solenoid openers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solenoid openers

What happened to all the solenoid style openers? The only one I can find is the NOS brand, and I have read bad things about that.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the NOS style is pretty good. The problem really is, it's been out for about 20+ years and often gets passed around, and/or never rebuilt. Then the complaint of leaking makes the rounds. Just like any noid, it should be service annually. I have one, and it started leaking (old one), so put a rebuild kit into it and all is well.
Now with that said, we (Nitrous Direct) offers a noid type bottle opener. It is a opener specific noid. It has a small inner plunger that opens first equalizing pressure, then the full size plunger opens for full flow. What this does is keeps wear on main plunger toa minimum. Meaning, main plunger no longer has to open against full bottle pressure (equalized on both sides of main plunger), thus minimizing wear, and leakage is then not an issue compared to a standard noid used as an opener. Very good quality noid and works as designed. I have used this type with great success, like leaving bottle open for six months with no problems.
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i just bought one of those, can i leave my bottle open (handle ) indefinitely ? or should i close it during long periods of setting ? what kind of time frame ? thanx

p.s. sorry for the hijack
Old 12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most rec that a bleed off and bottle mech valve closed should be performed, for long sitting periods.
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Robert, can this type of 'remote opener' be used as a nitrous 'safety solenoid' in that it would be directly before the main nitrous selenoid in the system and would open when the system is armed, thus if the system is shutdown and if there was a problem with the main nitrous solenoid being stuck open, it would keep nitrous from being bleed into the intake???

I already have a NX Remote bottle opener to go on the setup, I just want to be as safe as possible from burning down my $10k+ mill with something as simple as a nitrous solenoid sticking open... I am kinda getting sick of rebuilding motors the way most people change thier oil, as I usually end up finding the HP limit of most parts, so this time around I spent a ton of money with all the right parts and am shooting for 1000+hp and would just about cry if I melted the damn thing down because i added the nitrous in the quest for the magic 'number'... (the car is a supercharged 383 LT1, for reference)...
Old 12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Robert, can this type of 'remote opener' be used as a nitrous 'safety solenoid' in that it would be directly before the main nitrous selenoid in the system and would open when the system is armed, thus if the system is shutdown and if there was a problem with the main nitrous solenoid being stuck open, it would keep nitrous from being bleed into the intake???

I already have a NX Remote bottle opener to go on the setup, I just want to be as safe as possible from burning down my $10k+ mill with something as simple as a nitrous solenoid sticking open... I am kinda getting sick of rebuilding motors the way most people change thier oil, as I usually end up finding the HP limit of most parts, so this time around I spent a ton of money with all the right parts and am shooting for 1000+hp and would just about cry if I melted the damn thing down because i added the nitrous in the quest for the magic 'number'... (the car is a supercharged 383 LT1, for reference)...
The type that we sell, yes they can be used as a "pinch noid", or safety noid. But the NOS type no, they require a switch activation 12v applied to open and/or close. Whereas the ND noid take away power and it closes. I used this as a third line of defense on a redundant dry set-up, kill the power and all three noids would close. NOS does sell a pinch noid for this purpose.
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Robert, that is what I am looking for. I'll probably be ordering one in the next month or 2.

One more question, on the website under Solenoids it list a remote bottle opener, and under Bottle valves it lists a remote bottle opener kit - they are different prices and part numbers. Can you give us some detail on the difference. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea, one's a kit with everything needed, and one is just valve for custom set-ups. Here is how I did mine, came out clean looking, imo. I like the look better for on display systems compared to the bulky mech openers.

Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to ask so many questions, but what is included in the kit?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Robert on the NOS opener a small plunger supplies bottle pressure which opens and closes the main plunger...Does the ND opener work the same way or do you have to supply power the entire time to keep it open? I had the NOS opener on my old camaro and Id leave the mechanical valve opened all the time, I did have to rebuild the thing annually or it would eventually leak. The plunger kit for the NOS valve wasnt cheap either.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 12-14-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally suggest a actual motor style opener like the NX,ZEX or Dyno tune. The problem with a inline set up is that if for some reason you leave your bottle open and the inline opener leaks and you have a leaking solenoid when you get in and start the car BOOM!!!!. I know that is a fewifs but why chance it if there is a if even possible.

Also inline solenoid openers do restrict flow.
Dave
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I personally suggest a actual motor style opener like the NX,ZEX or Dyno tune. The problem with a inline set up is that if for some reason you leave your bottle open and the inline opener leaks and you have a leaking solenoid when you get in and start the car BOOM!!!!. I know that is a fewifs but why chance it if there is a if even possible.

Dave
Exactly how does a dual solenoid line of defense leak into engine, and n2o is not going to blow if it leaks into engine. The inlines have been around for about 25 years an I have never heard of an engine going boom because of a leaker. Mine never did either. The new generation bottle noid is designed not to leak. Now if you want the ugly look, or mounting in a spare well, go for the mech type, but be warned it may burn up the wiring and your car may burn, ya right, scare tactic. rmember those are Dave's opinions, and not actual facts.
Robert
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

LOL,
Robert Have you ever seen a car crank after a solenoid leak has filled the intake plenum full of nitrous.I have and it can create a hell of a back fire.
Dave
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Robert on the NOS opener a small plunger supplies bottle pressure which opens and closes the main plunger...Does the ND opener work the same way or do you have to supply power the entire time to keep it open? I had the NOS opener on my old camaro and Id leave the mechanical valve opened all the time, I did have to rebuild the thing annually or it would eventually leak. The plunger kit for the NOS valve wasnt cheap either.
Yes the new generation noid type does have a constant small amp load, however, because it doesn't have to overcome full one sided bottle pressure the amp rating is lower than a standard noid. I have left mine on all day and it never got hot or malfuctioned.
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL,
Robert Have you ever seen a car crank after a solenoid leak has filled the intake plenum full of nitrous.I have and it can create a hell of a back fire.
Dave
But how is this going to happen with two (2) noids inline. you have about a zero chance of two noids failing at the same time. You would have to have one hella leak for enough n2o to remain to cause a problem. When the bottle noids leak they are very minute leaks, which will be disapated before any real collection can occur. If you have a big leak, like a sticking open n2o noid then yes, you can stir up the fuel when cranking and have the mixture up into manifold. But a trickle leak is not going to do this.
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 PM
FormerVendor

OK, I agreee that the chances are slim but they are there. Lets say that you have some trash on your nitrous solenoid. It is not laeking bad enough to notice it but it doen not seal all the way. Then over night your left your main bottle open nad was relieng on the inline opener valve. Lets say it craps out over night. You get up for worjk the next morning in a hurry and jump in your car. Over time your slightly leaking solenoid has filled your motoe with nitrous. As soon as you key on to crank Boom.

I agree the chances are slim but you have to admit they are there.
Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Guys, both methods of bottle openers have the potential to leak, or in the case of the motor type....to simply leave the bottle open some amount.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Dave
Or in my case the bottle was left open, then the opener when re-energized later on, opener won't open from the pressure difference (cold night). Making me go to the back of the car, bleed the line, and then re-attach everything. Kind of ruins a night of "racing"
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Or in my case the bottle was left open, then the opener when re-energized later on, opener won't open from the pressure difference (cold night). Making me go to the back of the car, bleed the line, and then re-attach everything. Kind of ruins a night of "racing"
I have never seen that happen. I guess I would rather take my chances on that though.
Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of amperage draw are we taking about ? how long can the opener be left in the open position (power applied) ?