Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to NOS need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to NOS need a little help

Well im new to the NOS spectrum and wanted to ask for some new b advice. Im in the process of finishing a cam install. Right now i have most of the boltons for my 1999 m6 ss...My motor has about 16,000 miles right now if that matters......mods are pulley, lt's, ory, gmmg, everything except a ls6 intake really. The cam i went with is an f4 226/226 .575/.575 112 lsa.......how will this cam like the NOS? I plan on starting off with probly a 100 shot and work my way to a 150. Im really stuck between a dry or wet kit. I hear good and bad about both...i kno that no NOS kit is "safe" but what would you recomend for a newbie like my self? I was leaning more toward dry. Also if i start off with a 100 shot will i have to upgrade my fuel system or will i only be able to tell by tunning? sorry for all the questions just all the searching has me going nuts o n which direction to go because of all the opinions ......... thanks guys
Old 12-17-2005, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Default nos kit

If you go with a dry kit I would recommend upgrading fuel system basic in tank pump. Wet system you shouldn't need to upgrade. Wet kit is easier to tune, the only issue about a wet kit your intake is not ment to have liquid run threw it, But I have not yet had any issue my freinds have not either.Like you said start with a 100 shoot and work your way up. If you can pick up a issue of Gm High Tech Magazine January 2006 issue if its out it cover almost all of the kits and give some really good advice. I could type alot of info but it covers and gives great tips on things you woulnt think off example the lines from solenoids to nozzle my lines were only 12" when I needed 24" to make a clean looking install. I hope this help.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are simply a couple of ways to achieve the same goal. Start with a quality manufacturer and distributor. I have had great luck with http://www.nitrousoutlet.com (Nitro Daves) and NX products. I have had less FUN with other less scalable kits. I reccommend them both. I like a wet kit like the NX MAF. A dry kit may involve larger injector and fuel pump. The wet kit is a easier way to get a seat in the pants jolt. Used as directed it is safe.
-- Good luck
Old 12-17-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you need a fuel pump for a dry hit, you will also need one for a wet hit. They will both tax the pump in equal ways. I like dry hits, unless going direct Port for wet. we have many vendors and products to meet anyones needs, take a look around. I believe Nitrous Direct has quality and price, with any tech help before during or after install. We have a new in house speced PRO Dry kit that I invite you to look at. Coming soon is the PRO Wet kit, but plenty of others to chose from, just do your home work.
Robert
Old 12-18-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
If you need a fuel pump for a dry hit, you will also need one for a wet hit. They will both tax the pump in equal ways. I like dry hits, unless going direct Port for wet. we have many vendors and products to meet anyones needs, take a look around. I believe Nitrous Direct has quality and price, with any tech help before during or after install. We have a new in house speced PRO Dry kit that I invite you to look at. Coming soon is the PRO Wet kit, but plenty of others to chose from, just do your home work.
Robert
Being all wet (in a number of ways) ... I was under the impression that given equal "shot numbers" between wet and dry...you'll need a fuel pump sooner with a dry kit? You are good to go w/o a fuel pump on average to a 150 wet shot...on average what hp/shot/level do most dry shots require a fuel pump?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Macon
Being all wet (in a number of ways) ... I was under the impression that given equal "shot numbers" between wet and dry...you'll need a fuel pump sooner with a dry kit? You are good to go w/o a fuel pump on average to a 150 wet shot...on average what hp/shot/level do most dry shots require a fuel pump?
The thing is wet or dry, you need approx the same additional fuel per same hp shot. You tax the pump the same. Dry depending on mods/car/shot size you may need to up size injectors. Stock f-body pumps can be good to 450hp, and vette stock pumps to 550hp.
Robert
Old 12-18-2005, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

If you're doing a dry shot I'd probably upgrade the pump at least to make sure you've got some insurance as to the fuel pressure.

Oh, and not to nitpick, but NOS is a brand... The gas is nitrous oxide.

Just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the advice guys...after searching and hearing some opinions im leaning more toward wet....just trying to decide if i want to drop the money on a direct port or not
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camaross305
thanks for all the advice guys...after searching and hearing some opinions im leaning more toward wet....just trying to decide if i want to drop the money on a direct port or not
Check out our direct port kits, nice and affordable. EFI Pro Nozzle similar to the NOSzle set-up. Plug and play, no drilling and tapping. I will be running this in the near future. Let me know if I can help.
Robert
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well im new to the NOS spectrum and wanted to ask for some new b advice. Im in the process of finishing a cam install. Right now i have most of the boltons for my 1999 m6 ss...My motor has about 16,000 miles right now if that matters......mods are pulley, lt's, ory, gmmg, everything except a ls6 intake really. The cam i went with is an f4 226/226 .575/.575 112 lsa.......how will this cam like the NOS? I plan on starting off with probly a 100 shot and work my way to a 150. Im really stuck between a dry or wet kit. I hear good and bad about both...i kno that no NOS kit is "safe" but what would you recomend for a newbie like my self? I was leaning more toward dry. Also if i start off with a 100 shot will i have to upgrade my fuel system or will i only be able to tell by tunning? sorry for all the questions just all the searching has me going nuts o n which direction to go because of all the opinions ......... thanks guys

Either a wet or dry system will work. The cam you have went with will work just fine also. Here are the things to look at. To run a 150 shot you will need to upgrade the intank fuel pump. A walboro pump is 129.00 or a race tronix plug-N-play system is 249.00. A wet system will give you better torque and performance over the dry. With the dry system you will need to watch the duty cycle on the injectors as you go up on the size shot you are spraying. With the dry system you will be able to put together a system for less money.NX offers the highest quality available. We offer three different dry systems and many different style wet systems.Feel free to check with me on pricing and tech advice.
Dave
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dunno i have been searching and i have seen and heard a lot of good things about the NX MAF.......i think it will provide the best of both worlds
Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

I dunno i have been searching and i have seen and heard a lot of good things about the NX MAF.......i think it will provide the best of both worlds
A lot of people agree.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Your best bet is to shop around there's alot better quality kits out there at far better prices, I hate seeing people overpay for things based on hype. Shop wisely!!

Last edited by NitrousDirect; 12-21-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Hey man, might want to check out my threads in this forum recently. I was just like you a bit back * three days? lol* and the great people on this site have given me great advice and good info!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
Your best bet is to shop around there's alot better quality kits out there at far better prices, I hate seeing people overpay for things based on hype. Ship wisely!!
This is edited...I don't understand the way you put this Scott. Please explain what you mean.

Last edited by Macon; 12-21-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Hey! My point is/was simply there are quite a few nitrous brands, types of kits and methods of spraying. Shop around you'll find all kinds of different price ranges, quality ranges etc. That nothing said here by anyone including myself should be taken as fact, but more as opinion. and to just shop around! Does that help at all?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

does any one know where to get an nx maf kit? i was talking to a guy at a local performance shop and he was saying nx are cheap kits and so are tnt and they dont sell them there. he said he could get a plate system for an lsx by NOS for 750. But that seemed a little high.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

I like women wet and I like NOS wet. The wetter the better for your motor. If the fuel isn't there the power or your motor won't be there either. As stated before there is a lot of cheaper kits and alternatives out there if you do a search. I wouldn't spray more than 75 dry cause of the inconsistancy on stock injectors. some produce more than orthers depends on your batch of injectors. I have seen some cars go way over 85 percent duty cycle and I have seen some cars with a few bolt on mods and barely have enough injector to feed the motor. Go wet system and get it dyno tune air fuel ratio.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

does any one know where to get an nx maf kit? i was talking to a guy at a local performance shop and he was saying nx are cheap kits and so are tnt and they dont sell them there. he said he could get a plate system for an lsx by NOS for 750. But that seemed a little high.
For the NX MAF kit just call Dave at Nitro Daves Outlet. He is a very reputable sponsor here that does sell the NX stuff. There is also a link to his webpage on the rh side of the screen.
PH 866.648.7637
The NX MAF kit is a great unit on the LS1 and is one of the cleanest looking installs. Very high qiality and very upgradeable. You could upgrade to dual stages and as much as 250+ hp shot. Dave may not be back in the shop until monday though.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 12-29-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
For the NX MAF kit just call Dave at Nitro Daves Outlet. He is a very reputable sponsor here that does sell the NX stuff. There is also a link to his webpage on the rh side of the screen.
PH 866.648.7637
The NX MAF kit is a great unit on the LS1 and is one of the cleanest looking installs. Very high qiality and very upgradeable. You could upgrade to dual stages and as much as 250+ hp shot. Dave may not be back in the shop until monday though.
Just in case you missed it...Happy New year!!
AND
Just in case you missed it...what he said. In fairness there are a few vendors in the right hand column that sell NX products as well...ex. Tbyrne. But Dave has this way of making us NX customers feel special. In fact I just got in from DFW tonight and I feel special just having set foot in Texas! Not to mention a local TV news anchor was sitting next to me on the flight back to SC...one very good looking and nice lady...i just about bribed the pilot to get in an hour later just to try to steal a New Years eve kiss...no luck though!!
Now call Dave...get a great price...make a friend ...go have fun!!