Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Revealed Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tune Revealed Problems

I recently got my car tuned by RWTD (Sponser) ---> and was discouraged from spraying until I could get a new fuel pump or injectors or both. My car has:

2000 Camaro SS
A4 3.23 gears
5177 NOS kit
Lid
LT headers
160 stat
54K miles
RWTD custom engine tune

Just on motor my uncorrected numbers are: 344hp 366tq at the rear.

Is it normal to need to upgrade the stock fuel system this early? I have read of others on here running larger numbers on the stock fuel system. On the nitrous tune he could get everything to run smoothly until about 5000 rpms and it would run lean. I just wanted to get opinions on this. Is there any other possible problems that could be going on? Dirty injectors??

Please help
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not totally unusal, that's why many rec a fuel pump whether wet or dry, as stocker is good, when in good working order to a max of about 450hp. Now the injectors, that's a different story, your tuner should be able to say yes or no to needing them, it's all in the logging and being able to read it.
Robert
Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

I was maxing my 2000 camaro injectors with a LS6 intake, shorty headers, a pulley, ported TB and some other minor stuff (reving to 6300 though) so they don't have that much room for nitrous.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok thanks for the replies. I guess I will look into getting some larger injectors first then possibly a performance fuel pump. What size injectors should I get now? Whatever I do I will be going back to get it retuned with my new equipment so that is not a problem.

Mike
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Svo 30's(37) should be a good upgrade for your 26's
Old 12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a good example of why I always suggest a fuel pump for over a 100. On some cars the fuel pump and injectors may be in great working order and able to handle higher shots.

But I have seen many cases where the stock fuel pump could not support as much.So all these post where people tell someone its ok go a head and do are giving dangerous advice. All these items are machanical.So to assume that they are in perfect working order with out scanning duty cycles for injectors or watching the fuel delivery is not good.Im glad you posted this.
This is why I suggest certain things. You never know who has that car with tired injectors or a weak fuel pump... Why take the chance I hate seeing I blew it up post.. So all my advice is alsways on the safe side.I let the customer walk out on the ice on there own.. God knows I walk out there all the time.I have fell through many times to.LOL
Dave
Old 12-21-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with you Dave. I would just have assumed that my system was no where near maxed out with what I have and would have just kept on spraying. I am lucky enough to have gone and got it dyno tuned and discovered the problems I did. I am sure there are others that are having the same problem but just dont know it.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerD
I recently got my car tuned by RWTD (Sponser) ---> and was discouraged from spraying until I could get a new fuel pump or injectors or both. My car has:

2000 Camaro SS
A4 3.23 gears
5177 NOS kit
Lid
LT headers
160 stat
54K miles
RWTD custom engine tune

Just on motor my uncorrected numbers are: 344hp 366tq at the rear.

Is it normal to need to upgrade the stock fuel system this early? I have read of others on here running larger numbers on the stock fuel system. On the nitrous tune he could get everything to run smoothly until about 5000 rpms and it would run lean. I just wanted to get opinions on this. Is there any other possible problems that could be going on? Dirty injectors??

Please help

With a dry kit you will need a better pump,bigger injectors, and a new tune for the new injectors (if you really want to play it safe). If you go wet you only need a bigger pump, that's what prompted me to go wet. There are pluses and minuses to going wet or dry, the overall cost is what helped me make my decision. just my 2 cents anyway
Old 12-21-2005, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by aram
I was maxing my 2000 camaro injectors with a LS6 intake, shorty headers, a pulley, ported TB and some other minor stuff (reving to 6300 though) so they don't have that much room for nitrous.

Yeah with my stock pump, running N/A, with the goods in my sig my Injector Duty Cycle was maxed way out too. When I'd hit the top of 3rd gear (run all the way to the top of 4th in the 1/4) at the track I would notice the car loosing power.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so I am trying to price out these things and need some help. So I need 30 or more # injectors but high or low imedance?
I also found a granatelli in tank fuel pump that pumps 255 lph. Is this good or do I need more?
Here it is: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KillerD
Ok so I am trying to price out these things and need some help. So I need 30 or more # injectors but high or low imedance?
I also found a granatelli in tank fuel pump that pumps 255 lph. Is this good or do I need more?
Here it is: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
Despite the cheap price dont go with the GMS pump, you'll loose the fuel pump bucket. The Racetronix is the only aftermarket in-tank pump that retains the bucket. Check out the link I posted if you hadnt already researched this pump assembly, its pretty cool info too.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Despite the cheap price dont go with the GMS pump, you'll loose the fuel pump bucket. The Racetronix is the only aftermarket in-tank pump that retains the bucket. Check out the link I posted if you hadnt already researched this pump assembly, its pretty cool info too.

Yea that is interesting and helpful. Well I am pretty convinced on the fuel pump then. What about injectors?

Thanks for all the info