Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress Freguency explained. maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Progress Freguency explained. maybe?

Ok here is what is going on with your noids while on progressive systems. We will use 16htz for this set up. The frequency is nothing more than how man times the noid is sent power to open in one second. So for a Frequecny of 16 your noid is sent power 16 times in one second.( that does not mean it opens 16 times a second just it is sent power that many times)
so how does it ramp. You break down each pulse by itself so now we have 1/16 of a second. Each 1/16 has an on and off time or a % of power sent to it to open the noid.
So you set a ramp from 0% power to 100% power. What is really going on.
10% and below not much the powers on time so short of a time the noids piston can not lift off the seat. and once past 90% the off time is so short the piston can not fall.

This is why almost all controllers on the market to when below 10% on ramp are not really doing anything, and once past 90% are just open. Now the Maximizer 2 when you reach 100% ramp the box latches wide open. But even at 95-99% the cycle is so fast the noid just cannot close.

To close the noid the magnetic field that the coil creates must become weak enough for the piston to close and seal.

Now what happens when you turn the frequency up to lets say 20 htz. 20 times a second, but you are now dealing with a small curve or workable window. exp now below 15% start power not much is happening and anything past 85 you are just opened.
So the higher the frequency the smaller the workable window becomes. YOU can only drive a solenoid so fast.(speed is dictated by pressure, coils, spring strengths, and volts) This is something you can actually feel. If you turn the frequency up and set a nice long ramp starting at 0-100%. Start the cycle and hold the noid. YOu can feel the vibration but no nitrous will flow until you get to the point of enough on time to create the magnetic field to lift the piston and flow.

Here is an example of at 16htz. Notice the on and off time while going from 0 to 100% make a transition. So from what I have seen anything from 14-16 htz will work. And yes you can drive some noids faster but again you loose workable ramp area. Hope this helps and hope I did not butcher this to bad. lol

Ricky
Old 01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

I asked dave "nitro" about this,and this is what I figured was going on.
so why not make a true frequency modulated unit?,one that will vary in frequency
as the power increases, or would that tear up most solenoids?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

If you could do two solenoids at the same setup but out of phase then that would be a very precise way to bring in power
Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM

I do not see the point of varying the frequency, you still can only drive a noid X fast. And to drive it any slower than 10-14 would drive some one nuts you would be able to feel the power surging.
And to speed up the frequency as power goes up would I think defeat the purpose since the higher frequency will make you go to open faster in the % curve.
Ricky
Old 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good explaination Ricky, I think I know just enough to be dangerous So for those of us using progressives, could we change springs and go to a higher frequency or would the only gain be a smoother transiton from 90-100%?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:08 PM

It would take a lot of testing to confirm if the stiffer spring would help or hurt. Remember to make that spring stiffer will also need more umft to lift. So it could be demisioning returns. Lots of testing.

Ricky
Old 01-31-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I will be fine just setting it and leaving it, good info though. Thanks for your time Ricky
Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

95ttoplt1 - That was my first thoughts. Use a stiffer spring and a stronger coil on the solenoid. This would take a lot of testing to find a good combination of spring tension and lifting power from the coil, and it may not work any better than what we are currently using. It would be interesting to find out though.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Any idea on what frequency I should be shooting for with my baby zex noids? I am going to try to get a 200whp shot through them, but I don't know if it will happen seeing as though I am already at an 83N pill on a 150 shot. I'll probably end up going with the new NX noids soon enough.

Quick Reply: Progress Freguency explained. maybe?