Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Brains said. Use a computer controlled engine dyno. This will take alot of the variables out of the equation (like ambient weather conditions, tranny/clutch/converter issues, tire pressure, tire traction on drums, etc.), and it would get rid of the human error factor when making pulls since the operator could just push a start button and the computer would take over from there during the pull. The computer can do either a full pull through the entire rpm range, or a fixed load pull at a specific rpm. Like JL said, it would be a good idea to have a stout motor with forged internals since there would be alot of pulls being made.

It would be very interesting to see that kind of test, but most people would rather see chassis dyno numbers so they "know" (or at least have a figure) what a combination is making to the wheels.

I'm not a big fan of dyno numbers anyway. I say take em to the track and let 'em chew.

All this is kinda of the topic of this thread though. So, Albert if you get a chance to read through this thread and answer some of the questions that would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

An engine dyno for sure would be the best way... but I fugred it would be easier to find a car that you could use then an engine and engine dyno.

Also, some way of keeping nitrous pressure consistant must be used as well, in case I forgot to add that.

I do electronic testing for a living, so i am very schooled in the ways of case studies and controlling variables, we deal in milliamps with the stuff I do, so we're talking small #'s, where a little change can mean alot.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

JL, you could use a push system to control bottle pressure and keep it constant. I guess all we need know is someone with an engine dyno and knows how to use it, lol. Anyone feel free to raise their hand, lol.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

You dont even need a complete push system. Just have a bottle of nitrogen close with a regulator installed and pump up the nitrous bottle to about 50 psi ABOVE the intended nitrous test pressure. The be sure to purge down to the correct starting pressure for the test.

I personally would like to see one fixed rpm test at say 4500 rpm and hold it there. Spray the nitrous for a very exact amount of time..say 10 seconds...being controlled by a good timer. Bottle pressure anf fuel pressure moniitored. Room temp and barometer.

But I would also like to see the nozzles flowed for that 10 seconds to record the nitrous flows in weight to ensure they are the same. Making sure they are flowing the same and then doing the test tests the nozzle effeicency. Not just flows.

Other tests would be to test nozzles at thier maximum flow ranges to see where they lose control and a very small shots to see if there are any issues there. I wouldnt expect issues on the very small shots but I would at very large ones on certain nozzles.

A nozzles effective range and if it ***** the bed above XXX hp to me would be something I would want to know.

wether a nozzle with xx fuel jet and xx nitrous jet makes 147 hp or 154 hp doesnt really concern me.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
8 Second Club

Not being trying to pick on anyone, but my NX kit made 350rwhp on a 300shot with a 11.00 a/f.. Same kit took me into the 8s @ 151 (out of gear, went a 125 in the 1/8th..) Not even spraying out of the hole.. On the 300 settings with a even worse a/f. The car was running 13.0:1 a/f on motor when I dynoed. Well I didnt tune it before we went out to make the 8sec pass, but I did dyno it. Made 492rhwp with a 10.8:1 a/f on motor. Not bad for a 11:1 compression 408 on 28x10.5Ws through a glide and a 12-bolt! LOL

Icon has a NOS Kit on their car and has had just as good of luck.

I'm not doubting y'alls kits don't make good power, but seriously.. Like Jeremy said the proof is at the track.. Name one fast Coldfusion car that we all know of? And honestly if you want my opinion (and no offense to any nitrous part maker here), but Speedtech has the market by the nuts as far as showing what they can do at the track.. First nitrous Pro-mod in the 3s... Now thats impressive!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

lol...the 3's
That just sounds scary!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
8 Second Club

LOL in the 1/8th mile. my bad!!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

no no...I know its the 1/8 mile. STILL SOUNDS SCARY!!!!!

Thats just awesome!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What does top fuel run in the 1/8? gotta be in that area. At that speed.. gotta be a little tunnel vision action.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Top fuel is faster. But ProMod is the ****!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
What does top fuel run in the 1/8? gotta be in that area. At that speed.. gotta be a little tunnel vision action.
Pretty sure top fuel runs low 3's
Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
8 Second Club

http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...J0I475U599AVRU

^-- Video of Mr. Jenkins pass!!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Albert and the guys have been swamped all day were over at the cnc shop working on some new designs etc.. just to let ya know when they get a second they say they'll answer all the tech questions you guys want, they have dyno time lined up at a MAJOR shop, and are willing to dyno someone's car from here if you are in the houston area.. They'll post later.. stay tuned.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
8 Second Club

Well I got plenty of canidates seeing as if its a major shop in Houston I'm friends with the owners LOL. Jayson @ MTI, Mike/Jay @ G-Force, Chuck @ HPE, etc...

I'd be willing to come home from school to see the test, I'm in San Marcos, just south of Austin.

Who will be installing the kits.. I've heard of a certain person, not mentioning any names, that actually has tried to cheat on tire things to race in a TT5 class..
Old 02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Well I got plenty of canidates seeing as if its a major shop in Houston I'm friends with the owners LOL. Jayson @ MTI, Mike/Jay @ G-Force, Chuck @ HPE, etc...

I'd be willing to come home from school to see the test, I'm in San Marcos, just south of Austin.

Who will be installing the kits.. I've heard of a certain person, not mentioning any names, that actually has tried to cheat on tire things to race in a TT5 class..

That was Chip. He does not work here. He is a friend and he did get in trouble trying to run a 10.5w in a no "w" class. He is a old school street racer and has learned his lesson.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:44 PM
8 Second Club

I know I was just given ya a hard time. But what shop are you all looking towards to do this at? I'd love to see all them. My brothers car is down getting its motor installed, or I'd offer that up to test.

Let me know. I'm sure plenty of us will be down for it!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Not being trying to pick on anyone, but my NX kit made 350rwhp on a 300shot with a 11.00 a/f.. Same kit took me into the 8s @ 151 (out of gear, went a 125 in the 1/8th..) Not even spraying out of the hole.. On the 300 settings with a even worse a/f. The car was running 13.0:1 a/f on motor when I dynoed. Well I didnt tune it before we went out to make the 8sec pass, but I did dyno it. Made 492rhwp with a 10.8:1 a/f on motor. Not bad for a 11:1 compression 408 on 28x10.5Ws through a glide and a 12-bolt! LOL

Icon has a NOS Kit on their car and has had just as good of luck.

I'm not doubting y'alls kits don't make good power, but seriously.. Like Jeremy said the proof is at the track.. Name one fast Coldfusion car that we all know of? And honestly if you want my opinion (and no offense to any nitrous part maker here), but Speedtech has the market by the nuts as far as showing what they can do at the track.. First nitrous Pro-mod in the 3s... Now thats impressive!

I agree that Speedtech did a great job to get in the 3's. As far as cars that use Cold Fusion that are fast you might be surprised to know the big names that do buy parts from us. CFN does very little advertising and has not been around for 10 years like most of the other companies. So, If we do not publicly anounce who is using our stuff how would you know? Now there is a choice and a lot of racers that already had a NOS, NX, ect kit need bottles, replacement solenoids, JETS, JETS and more JETS.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone is making great suggestions. Sure we could use a push system. Theres a lot of ways we can test. We could spend a whole year doing nothing but test nozzles. So, what we need to do is clone a few of us so they can do volunteer work and become dyno junkies. LOL... But, on a serious note We have a few volunteers for testing and plan on doing a few more hits on a quality Dyno.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Either Hennessey or Conley's. They both have a nice dyno and not as busy as some of the other shops.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Yea, as far as at the track Speedtech is pretty much the sh*t, but really, how many people are even trying to go that fast. I think the larger market is in the "street car" type racing (I'm using "street car" very very loosely, lol). I'm not trying to say that any one company is dominating that arena either. I would like to see some testing done at the track instead of on the dyno, that's all.

Powell, the Chip comment was pretty funny. But hey, if you're not bending/cheating the rules you're not winning, and if you get got cheating then you're not trying hard enough, lol.

Albert, I'm looking forward to seeing more data. And when you get some time away from the CNC machine there are several questions on here to be answered. Thanks.