Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS Mini-Progressive controller FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NOS Mini-Progressive controller FYI

Well now that my install is done, I filled up the bottle today and decided to test out the system.
My setup is a 2004 Z06 with a NOS plate and their new Mini progressive controller.
I had the controller set to turn on at 3200rpm no delay full 100hp shot no ramp-up. I am also using the integrated tps switch for activation.
I get out on the road for a test run and no activation, nothing. The controller is showing the tps is working but the solenoids are not opening. So I called NOS tech support (not much help) and explain everything. I also tell them I noticed that when I hit button #2 on the remote the RPM is displaying an odd fluctuating number that in no way matches the engine RPM.
I had tapped into pin#10 on the pcm and that is where I connected the green wire for the TACH signal.
The NOS tech tells me I need to hook the green wire to the coil pack ground trigger, and the instructions although poor do say this. At this point I thought great now I need to go cutting more wires and having to tear apart my install.
Well I decided to try a different RPM detection mode on the controller, setting it up for a four-cylinder tach signal (just like an MSD window switch) and wouldn't you know it works like a charm.
NOS should really make their instructions a little more clear on this part of the installation, but as long as this post can help someone out in the future that’s all that matters.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. Allthough I have been a NOS fan for years, their tech help has been less than great. Meaning, usually I knew more than the tech rep. They should look for tech employe's on this site.
Robert
Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robert56
I feel your pain. Allthough I have been a NOS fan for years, their tech help has been less than great. Meaning, usually I knew more than the tech rep. They should look for tech employe's on this site.
Robert
Very true, they could definitely learn a few things from the many other great vendors on this site.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Okay now you got me thinking here, I having kinda of the same problem with mine(solenoids not opening)........I have my tach signal wire from the controller hooked into my autometer tach wire that goes to the ECU and I have my Step C-RPM signal setup set at 00, how did you set it for a 4 cylinder, ex. instead of the 00 setting would I put in 04 or 08
Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DiabloFormula
Okay now you got me thinking here, I having kinda of the same problem with mine(solenoids not opening)........I have my tach signal wire from the controller hooked into my autometer tach wire that goes to the ECU and I have my Step C-RPM signal setup set at 00, how did you set it for a 4 cylinder, ex. instead of the 00 setting would I put in 04 or 08
I set it to 04, When you press button 2 as your car is running does the rpm match what your tach is showing? Mine did not until I set it to 04. now it works great.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

well holy smokes your right, I just checked it and noticed that the rpm's at idle were 3200, 3300 on the controller, switched it to 04 on th controller and now it matches the tach, hey thanks alot for the help man, can't wait to fire it now and see what happens
Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Glad I could help man, you would think NOS tech would know this. They really need to update the instructions.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Perhaps a sticky for "window switch/progressive controller" settings is in order

EDIT I see some wiring diagrams are up for WS's in the wiring sticky, but what settings to use for various window Switches is not covered...still think worthy of its own Sticky.

Beer

Last edited by Beer99C5; 05-31-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bluewire
Well I decided to try a different RPM detection mode on the controller, setting it up for a four-cylinder tach signal (just like an MSD window switch) and wouldn't you know it works like a charm.
I am in the process of hooking up an FJO controller as we speak and was curious as to whether or not this method would work on it as well. Thank you for your time in advance and glad to hear you got it worked out and posted for the rest of us. Take care.

Jim C.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

I don't know about the FJO controler, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. After all a controler is just a window switch with more features.
Maybe NX will chime in I'm sure they could tell you.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Perhaps a sticky for "window switch/progressive controller" settings is in order

EDIT I see some wiring diagrams are up for WS's in the wiring sticky, but what settings to use for various window Switches is not covered...still think worthy of its own Sticky.

Beer
That wouldn't be a bad idea considering that I came on here did a search and came up with nothing. I also think there needs to be more info on getting the right wire for the TPS signal. On the Vette I used the blue wire coming off the TAC module (pin #1 I believe). I did a search on TPS but really didn't find any solid info on the correct wire.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Geek
I am in the process of hooking up an FJO controller as we speak and was curious as to whether or not this method would work on it as well. Thank you for your time in advance and glad to hear you got it worked out and posted for the rest of us. Take care.

Jim C.
On my FJO wideband & Max II, it is ÷2 I think. No cutting stupid wires, that's for damn sure.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post.

We have taken a few calls from people that are confused after reading the instructions. AS for the NOS techs, This is a fairly new part and they may not be familiar with it. Since its new maybe they have not installed one yet. I know myself I can read something time and time again and not understand. However If I install it just one time I know for the rest of my life. You have to love the (attention deficit)
Dave
Old 05-31-2006, 01:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I should take offense to this considering I started in Tech but I'll let it slide. Tech service has changed over the years as they used to answer tech questions for all of the brands. If you don't know, that is a wealth of knowledge that has to be learned. Now the tech group is broken up into groups for different brands. Not a single person in our Tech group is not a gear-head of some kind. I can assure you any questions asked will get a correct answer. If they don't know it off the top of their head they will not stop till they find it.

As Dave mentioned this is a new product and until all the little wiring and programming situations have been experienced it may take some investigating to find you the correct answer. If you experiene otherwise feel free to let me know.

Jessie
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by red91z
I should take offense to this considering I started in Tech but I'll let it slide. Tech service has changed over the years as they used to answer tech questions for all of the brands. If you don't know, that is a wealth of knowledge that has to be learned. Now the tech group is broken up into groups for different brands. Not a single person in our Tech group is not a gear-head of some kind. I can assure you any questions asked will get a correct answer. If they don't know it off the top of their head they will not stop till they find it.

As Dave mentioned this is a new product and until all the little wiring and programming situations have been experienced it may take some investigating to find you the correct answer. If you experiene otherwise feel free to let me know.

Jessie
I'm was not trying to offend, but I can tell you that the person That I talked to had very little knowledge on the progressive controler. This became aparent due to the long pauses after asking questions. He was either looking at the insructions or searching through the computer.
I also understand the amount of information a tech has to know as I am an applications engineer for a EDM maunfactuer and as you know, you have to know everything about anything.
I think you can also understand that when you spend a great deal of time and effort installing a product and then have trouble with it you start to loose your patince. So since the tech didn't really have any insight i just kind of thought well so much for thst and started to tinker on my own.
To the tech's credit what he told me would have worked, but would you really want to go and rewire somthing when all you have to do is change a setting? I sent alot of time on my install and that is the last thing i wanted to do.

Chris
Old 05-31-2006, 09:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I understand and I'm glad you got it worked out.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red91z

Jessie
Hey, Jessie, you know my opinion on NOS and wasn't trying to knock anyone, just relaying experiance. I am still a fan of NOS, and wish you had been my tech guy.
Robert
Robert
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Now Robert do not start crawfishing. lol Just kidding or busting your ***** which ever you prefer.
Guys I will let everyone know that a Tech's job is one of the hardest in any companies scheme of things.
Someone new and on their first day has to know everything. I know I get some calls (FEW LOL) and ask what, how, you sure, more than one time during the call. Glad you got your controller working on one hand, but wished it would have been one of mine.
Ricky
Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not a big deal... Everyone should sit in on the tech line for a day.

Originally Posted by Robert56
Hey, Jessie, you know my opinion on NOS and wasn't trying to knock anyone, just relaying experiance. I am still a fan of NOS, and wish you had been my tech guy.
Robert
Robert
Old 06-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bluewire
I set it to 04, When you press button 2 as your car is running does the rpm match what your tach is showing? Mine did not until I set it to 04. now it works great.

Ditto here, I have the window switch from Dynotune.

Quick Reply: NOS Mini-Progressive controller FYI