Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

next racing - nitrous update

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by choppin-suey
exactly my piont, bragging about dyno numbers are in fact gay but using the dyno as a measuring and tuning tool is not so gay
Oh definately not, that's what it's meant for!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I wasn't trying to be a smart *** or anything like that so I don't appreciate at all being called one. If anything I could call you a dumbass for trying to hit you motor with a 425+ shot and damaging it (SUPRISE). I was just wondering why you tried to push a 450+ shot of nitrous through your motor. I haven't heard of anyone ever doing this on a Gen III. These motors have been out for a while, you think someone would have done this already if it was possible.

I really do wish you good luck. I don't like to hear of anyone destroying their motors which is basically destroying $$$ that I'm sure you worked hard to earn. I do give you major kudos for trying to push the envelope, but sometimes you got to use some sense and you learned that the hard way. I hope you get it back together soon enough and are able to get out there and enjoy racing your car. If you can get that thing to take a 425+ shot without damage I'll be the first on here to congratulate you, not to mention you'll probably hit 8s.

Good Luck.
You have an odd way of expressing yourself. Anytime you start off with "not trying to knock you" it usually is followed by a knock, to which you did not disappoint. Then the whole use of (SURPRISE) is another of great cander that comes off like a smart ***. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm fine with that. Just try not to be offended if someone thinks it's coming off like a smart ***.

Now sir to the bulk of your post which are all reasonable statements or legitimate questions.

There are folks that have sprayed that much. That is still not my reason for it. The whole idea is to push the envelope. It's just a part of the way that I race. The lack of sense part comes with being insane enough to hit both kits when they made the killer numbers on one alone. In hindsight, I should have backed it down to test the a/f with both kits together. However, with that said, imagine if it did hold and I was posting on here about the results

Truth is your not in the wrong for thinking it was crazy (or the eloquent use of 'dumbass' as you may). Do I need to be on here posting all of this? Nope, but I'm offering up my experience and there you have it.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hocky
You were only making 400whp out of a 10.5:1 408 on motor? Or did I miss something?
The car made 474rwhp on motor with very little timing and a number 8 plug. I can further qualify that with the 30" slicks, race converter, etc. but I think you get the point.

The comparison of the motor/spray numbers are with more timing pulled hence the lower motor number (430 something).

Hope that helps.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by next
You have an odd way of expressing yourself. Anytime you start off with "not trying to knock you" it usually is followed by a knock, to which you did not disappoint. Then the whole use of (SURPRISE) is another of great cander that comes off like a smart ***. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm fine with that. Just try not to be offended if someone thinks it's coming off like a smart ***.
This time I was trying to be somewhat smart. I did not appreciate being called a smart ***. The first time just came off like it, I had no intent there.

Now sir to the bulk of your post which are all reasonable statements or legitimate questions.

There are folks that have sprayed that much. That is still not my reason for it. The whole idea is to push the envelope. It's just a part of the way that I race. The lack of sense part comes with being insane enough to hit both kits when they made the killer numbers on one alone. In hindsight, I should have backed it down to test the a/f with both kits together. However, with that said, imagine if it did hold and I was posting on here about the results
Maybe I don't look at all the resources that you guys do, but I still haven't seen something like this before on a Gen III that lived. I'd appreciate it a lot if you could provide me with something that shows this has been done before succesfully.

Truth is your not in the wrong for thinking it was crazy (or the eloquent use of 'dumbass' as you may). Do I need to be on here posting all of this? Nope, but I'm offering up my experience and there you have it.
If that thing would have held it would have been 8s easy. Hope your not thinking that I was trying to be a smart ***, I may make odd juxstaposing comments like that sometimes and I really do wish you good luck.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
8 Second Club

I did a similar thing with my old 346 motor -blew it up on the dyno while trying some new things- lifted heads and took out several other parts along the way. It's what happends when you are pushing the limit of what you have and trying something new. I'm glad it was my old motor - It was very inexpensive considering the cost of what I have now.

Good luck with the car - I'm sure it will haul *** when you are done. I have a similar setup to what you are probably going to on the car (plate + fogger)....it seems to be the best choice for what we are doing with the lsx motors.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 PM
8 Second Club

Default 425 shot

I haven't heard of anyone ever doing this on a Gen III. These motors have been out for a while, you think someone would have done this already if it was possible.

just to help clarify.this has been done before,and survived many times on a couple of esp's cars.2 of which have gone 8.9xs.Erics car will have no problem taking that kind of hit when it is back together.
This year I am sure there will be at least 3-4 esp cars that will be running in the 8's on that kind of hit.noyzee,nautilas,next,and maybe b man.
there also are some cars down south that run in the 8's that i'm sure are spraying a good amount to run that fast.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

The car made 474rwhp on motor with very little timing and a number 8 plug. I can further qualify that with the 30" slicks, race converter, etc. but I think you get the point.

The comparison of the motor/spray numbers are with more timing pulled hence the lower motor number (430 something).

Hope that helps.

Ahh, got ya.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:31 AM
8 second mod

i run my car on the dyno NA as a tuning tool, but if you have some one like ken who as done simple 50 hp dry shots to god knows how much on his pro mod cars helping with your tune up, as long as he has helped me out wth tune ups, i have yet to dyno on spray.
i know he is right on, and now with his help, i have learned a lot about tune ups, and know we are right on.
once your good, your good.

as for the 400+ shot, im going to be in that area, pushing the envolope is fun!!

Gary, me, timmy, and next yes, but b-man hasnt even looked at his car yet this year, he sucks
i spent alot of time on that car
Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Eric what size of tires are you using, 30" by ?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The changes to nitrous system will be coming from Ricky at NX. We will continue utilizing the custom spray bar kit and swapping to an NX direct port for the second stage. The idea is that this will provide a softer hit over the plate system for the second stage. Nitro Dave and I are currently talking about him doing the plumbing of the NX direct port on the Victor Jr.
when you say softer hit, could you explain the theory behind how your change is "softer"? my understanding of nitrous is what id like to think is a "intermediate level".. but ive never played with anything that huge.... i know moving the nozzle farther from the throttlebody softens the hit some.. if you move it far enough back, you can run without a progressive controller and "hide" the hit very well... but with a direct port, thats obviously not how you're doing it...
so whats the idea/theory behind making it hit softer?
am i correct in assuming that the reason for the "softer" inital hit is to lower the peak cyl pressure when it first kicks on, thereby helping hold the heads down?
are you going to be running a progressive controller now?
and on a non-nitrous topic... are you converting the block to larger headstuds now?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Moving the nozzle further away from a TB doesn't soften the hit, it delays the hit. If you were actually able to delay it enough, I really think that you actually see the hit more as opposed to hiding it. I've launched on motor and had a controller activate a couple of tenths out and then it pulled the wheels. Extreme example, but you'll hear the kit kick in when it it's delayed by the sound of the motor.

My experience is that plate kits just hit harder than direct ports. Not sure of the science behind it and maybe someone else can chime in and give their thoughts. I'm just telling what I've felt being in the drivers seat.

Yes the idea is to soften to help keep the heads down.

I've been running a progressive controller on the car but for the 2 stage setup I only plan on utilizing the timer aspect of my FJO controller to activate the 2 kit at 100%.

I am already running the larger head studs. I just need GM to supply another stud
Old 06-22-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Christian8A
Hey Eric what size of tires are you using, 30" by ?
30x10.5 is what's on the car right now.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

the warhawk block and heads will have 5 studs right? i guess i don't hear much about these huge shots, cause i have only heard of lifting heads with boost, not spray. i think its awesome that people are out there pushing the limits of what is possible and trying to find a way pas the limits. good luck with gettin the motor to handle that big of hits. keep it up, and u will get 8s at least
Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
the warhawk block and heads will have 5 studs right?
Nope, 6! But that **** is too expensive!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

The car will be back to terrorizing the track soon. Stay tuned for more updates.
Thanks for the advice, and good luck with the new setup. Hope to see you @ osw soon. I just hope my new setup will get me close to your times.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

However, with that said, imagine if it did hold and I was posting on here about the results

Truth is your not in the wrong for thinking it was crazy (or the eloquent use of 'dumbass' as you may). Do I need to be on here posting all of this? Nope, but I'm offering up my experience and there you have it
Well said Next..... I wonder how many emails the Wright Brothers got from people that just didn't understand.....

HEY ORVILLE, WHY THE **** ARE YOU SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY TRYING TO FLY WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS IT AIN'T GONNA WORK!!! IF GOD WANTED YOU TO FLY HE'D HAVE GIVEN YOU WINGS!!!!!

SINCERELY,

JACK MEOFF

Seriously though I totally understand what next was doing. crazy? yes....could have been done differently? maybe.... But it's people like him that are willing to push the envelope that might someday save other people's motors cause of what he learned. I plan on running a 400 hit on my LT1 that will be terrorizing tracks this fall.. Am I worried? Yup.... Will it be groundbreaking? not really since Taner has done it and several have run 300 shots with no problems for awhile.... But hopefully I can run both kits and provide much needed knowledge to the LT1 community about what it'll take to survive that much power...... I commend you next for what you're trying to do..... And don't be jealous about the LT1's extra head bolt..... we had to have something better somewhere....
Old 06-22-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
the warhawk block and heads will have 5 studs right?
If I'm going for aftermarket, my vocabulary is gonna be more along the lines of Dart Big M, Donovan, Fulton...

Originally Posted by redline2k
Thanks for the advice, and good luck with the new setup.
I'll be seeing y'all out there soon.

Thanks OutlawZ. Good luck with your setup.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roman's motor made 823rwhp/949 tq lifting the heads 5 years ago! the way it was jetted had to be about a 400 hit. go figure whenever he followed ARE's tuning procedure's he hurt the motor, conincidence...i think not!