Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why would an 01 TA detonate on a 50 shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why would an 01 TA detonate on a 50 shot?

i hooked up a dry kit on my buds 01 trans am, and it wouldnt even handle the 50 shot without detonating...

any thoughts?

my first thought was to go one step colder(i picked autolite103's), and a new fuel filter. hes doing that now and we are gonna try it again tonight.

can stock LS1 fuel systems handle 50, 75, 100 shots? im a LS1 newb and didnt find the nitrous forum till now.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Does it have a custom tune on it with alot of advance? What kind of fuel is he running? Is his Maf functioning correctly, any codes?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

thats what i forgot to ask, how do i check to see if he has a chip installed? isnt the processor on the passenger side under the hood? he runs 91 octane, the best we can get in socal. maf might be dirty, ill check that tonight, ive got some electronic cleaner in the trunk. and yes the mil is on. i have a code puller and ill look up the code tonight. thanks man. i really need to check for a chip though, help me out.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Nozzle placement on a dry kit is also crucial. How far from the MAF is the nozzle, and is it pointed directly at the MAF? You may want to de-screen your MAF as well....

Definitely get a colder plug in there too....I use NGK TR6 gapped at .038

-Jason
Old 07-20-2006, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your lookin for a "chip" you will be looking for a long time. These cars don't take chips, they accept tunes or changes to the PCM itself. Do lots of reading about his car before you guys do any more wrenching on it. You are obvisously way outta the loop on this type of vechicle.

BE CAREFUL.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

where in socal are u guys i might be able to help u out a lil . .
Old 07-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by b dub
i hooked up a dry kit on my buds 01 trans am, and it wouldnt even handle the 50 shot without detonating...

any thoughts?

my first thought was to go one step colder(i picked autolite103's), and a new fuel filter. hes doing that now and we are gonna try it again tonight.

can stock LS1 fuel systems handle 50, 75, 100 shots? im a LS1 newb and didnt find the nitrous forum till now.

Too much timing; has a previously installed tune. Retune.

Not enough fuel; Fuel filter dirty, pump going out, intank regulator going out. Injectors maxed out, previously installed tune leaning it. Replace filter, check pressure, if bad replace pump/regulator, retune.

Stock Plugs: Although when new, they will work, they are far from optimal, and if the platinum disc blows off, it widens the gap thus making it more prone to detonation. Improper gap on right plugs will also do it. TR6 plugs, gap no more than .040" no less than .030" depending on shot size, for 50-100shot go .040".

Oil in intake tract leads to hot spots and with nitrous = detonation. LS1's are prone to having oil in the intake tract, and often times leads into the cyl. Catchcan, LS6 Valley cover, Sea Foam top end cleaner.

Too much carbon deposits in chamber from high mileage, bad gas, lack of oil changes etc... Seafoam top end cleaner for temp fix, tear down, clean out, fix source (catchcan etc..).

GL

Charlie
Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FinalTA
Nozzle placement on a dry kit is also crucial. How far from the MAF is the nozzle, and is it pointed directly at the MAF? You may want to de-screen your MAF as well
oh my, i put it AFTER the maf?????!!! i thought this was the standard??
Old 07-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well if your lookin for a "chip" you will be looking for a long time. These cars don't take chips, they accept tunes or changes to the PCM itself. Do lots of reading about his car before you guys do any more wrenching on it.
ill be damned. no way to get around a pcm flash in the parking lot, is there?

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
You are obvisously way outta the loop on this type of vechicle.

BE CAREFUL.
im not denying it. but i didnt let him drive it at all even after he got the bottle filled until i did first and i shut it off as soon as it detonated. plus he was like, "cmon lets just do the 100 shot". and i said no.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flash12t
where in socal are u guys i might be able to help u out a lil . .
in the middle of NOWHERE, twentynine palms. you?!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Launching!

oh my, i put it AFTER the maf?????!!! i thought this was the standard??

If you are not joking, PLEASE move it in front of the MAF PRONTO!

The nozzle should be upstream (before) of the MAF, pointing at it from about 6" away...
Old 07-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAT3
Oil in intake tract leads to hot spots and with nitrous = detonation. LS1's are prone to having oil in the intake tract, and often times leads into the cyl. Catchcan, LS6 Valley cover, Sea Foam top end cleaner.

Too much carbon deposits in chamber from high mileage, bad gas, lack of oil changes etc... Seafoam top end cleaner for temp fix, tear down, clean out, fix source (catchcan etc..)
ok, ill put a can of seafoam on the list as well.

i convinced myself last night that he had advanced timing. however i thought it would be as easy as unplugging the chip. this sucks.

what are the options? get a retune with stock timing, retune with the nitrous, how about a timing adjuster? appreciate the help guys.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Teching In

If you are not joking, PLEASE move it in front of the MAF PRONTO!

The nozzle should be upstream (before) of the MAF, pointing at it from about 6" away...
wow, well i am a complete idiot, so thank you very much. no im not joking, and i will move it there tonight as well as a descreen and maf cleaning with electronic parts cleaner. never heard of or seen a pre maf nozzle.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Launching!

wow, well i am a complete idiot, so thank you very much. no im not joking, and i will move it there tonight as well as a descreen and maf cleaning with electronic parts cleaner. never heard of or seen a pre maf nozzle.

Yep...if it is a dry kit (i.e. no fuel being sprayed), you want that nozzle before the MAF!

Good luck....bet this helps a ton!
Old 07-20-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

LOL this is a great place to get advice and info.. i'm sure you're not the first person to make that mistake

Fix the location to pre maf, and also find out if there is a tune on the car you need to know that
Old 07-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Yep...if it is a dry kit (i.e. no fuel being sprayed), you want that nozzle before the MAF!

Good luck....bet this helps a ton!
so is this an ls1 thing? i have a confession, im actually a cobra guy lol. but im all about fast cars and good races . does the mass air actually "read" the gas charge?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
LOL this is a great place to get advice and info.. i'm sure you're not the first person to make that mistake
i dont get it, i put a wet kit on a 99 cobra and a dry kit on my 96, and both were post maf. they work great!!??

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
and also find out if there is a tune on the car you need to know that
this is what i need guidance on. how do i do this?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Restricted User

Dry only shoots nitrous, and has to be pre-maf for the MAF to register the incoming airflow and adjust fueling as needed.

Wet shoots both, fuel and nitrous in a well dispersed "fog", must be post-MAF or you'll end up screwing your fueling all to hell.

With the nozzle moved you probably wont see anymore detonation. Your basically providing a lot more airlow than the pcm is seeing, so its not adding anymore fuel to compensate, thus running lean as can be and detonating.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Teching In

but i thought the o2 would sense the lean condition and immediately add more fuel through the injectors? i dont understand how this wouldnt apply to every car and not just an LS1.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Launching!

but i thought the o2 would sense the lean condition and immediately add more fuel through the injectors? i dont understand how this wouldnt apply to every car and not just an LS1.
It's not just an LS1 thing....the idea behind a dry system is that the MAF picks up the cold, dense air charge of the N2O and adds fuel accordingly. Are you saying that the dry kit you installed on a 96 Cobra was installed after the MAF? Was there some sort of device that bumped fuel pressure when spraying or something?