Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What needs to be replaced?

I've been running a CFN, dry kit with dual nitrous solenoids inline for a good 8 months now. The other night, my GF's lil brother was messing with the ARMing switch and it was left on over night. The next morning, I'm under the hood and notice that both solenoids are smoking. I quickly run to the cab and notice that the ARMing switch is on and turn it off. The smoke stops.

I called up CFN to see about replacing the solenoids and the guy there made me think a little bit. Possibly, the relay was affected from being left on all night.

So my question is, what has been fried in this situation? What exactly, needs to be replaced?

-solenoids
-relay

... Think anything else has been harmed? Bottle has been empty throughout this entire situation.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Relays wouldn't really have a problem having power to them for extended periods. I would say it is more likely that you have a short to ground on the micro switch side of things. It is possible that the relay has an internal short causing it to send power to the solenoids but that is very rare and you probably would have noticed before now. I would suggest checking the wires going between the relay and the micro switch. If you did have power to the solenoids for that long you will most likely have to replace the coils.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by srsnow
Relays wouldn't really have a problem having power to them for extended periods. I would say it is more likely that you have a short to ground on the micro switch side of things. It is possible that the relay has an internal short causing it to send power to the solenoids but that is very rare and you probably would have noticed before now. I would suggest checking the wires going between the relay and the micro switch. If you did have power to the solenoids for that long you will most likely have to replace the coils.
The coils... Are they replacable? Probably just send them in to CFN or where ever...

I'll look into your suggestions. Thank you srsnow.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Usually you can buy replacment coils from the manufactuer. I would give CFN a call and see if they can get you replacment coils.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't know what this means... With the arming switch on... and the wires from the solenoids disconnected (okay cut), when you hit the WOT switch the relay CLICKS... Helpful or no?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Launching!

That's what it should do. If there was a short between the micro switch and the relay it would always be powering up the solenoids. It sounds like the wiring is ok but I would still double check that wire and make sure it hasn't rubbed against anything that may cause it to ground out when it isn't supposed to. Other than that the solenoids shouldn't have been getting any power with just the arming switch on.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Ahhh... I'm confused. LOL

So, for sure the coils in the 'noids are gone. Need to have them replaced. But, these didn't just go for no apparent reason. The relay works. Something somewhere in the wiring. Could a bad ground cause something like this.

I need to double check everything.
Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Most likely the coils are bad, no what happened shouldn't have happened. Not so much a bad ground as a ground that shouldn't be grounding. A relay requires a ground to pin 85 and 12v to pin 86 for it to "click" or transfer power from 87A to 87. If the wire from pin 85 to the micro switch has rubbed up against metal and worn a hole through the insulation it could cause an intermittent short
Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be wired to your arm sw with a keyed 12v source, so when key is off the system can not be armed. Is it wired this way?
Robert
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robert56
It should be wired to your arm sw with a keyed 12v source, so when key is off the system can not be armed. Is it wired this way?
Robert
also even if you had it armed there should be no pwr to the noids