Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To prove my point nitrous does help make things worst during a fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've told myself in the past I'd not get involved in these kinds of discussions as most of the time folks are not willing to accept that someone else might have better info than they do and they might have to admit that they are mistaken. If they were willing to accept this fact, this thread wouldn’t be as long as it is. But, here I am...

Like so much I read on internet forums, I see nuggets of truth covering up garbage. Most folks seem to have a clue, but are confused as to the particulars. In this case I'm astounded that there is any question as to whether or not nitrous oxide will support combustion, which is merely oxidation at a rapid rate. If it didn't we wouldn't use it in our cars to build power.

Some facts about Nitrous Oxide:

Nitrous Oxide is a cryogenic substance that can exist as a liquid and vapor simultaneously; how much is vapor and how much is liquid varies with pressure and temperature,
Nitrous Oxide’s critical point is approximately 1050 PSI and 98F, at this point all the nitrous in the container will be a dense vapor with no liquid present. Conversely, if chilled to -127F, nitrous will exist in its liquid state at normal atmospheric pressure (14.7 PSIa). Chill it further, to -132F and you’ll get a solid chunk of Nitrous (same way you get dry ice/solid CO2).
Some have commented that they doubt that liquid at atmospheric pressure is possible to produce at home; this is possible to accomplish using the method suggested earlier. What is happening is that a portion of the nitrous (the vapor part) is flashing and in the process absorbing heat from whatever is nearest to it, in this case more nitrous oxide and being a vapor carrying that absorbed heat away. This is the essence of refrigeration, heat removal. Once everything else the nitrous is in contact with has been chilled enough, liquid nitrous will begin to form and can be collected in a container, the more insulated the better as it will keep longer.
Nitrous Oxide is 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen held together by a chemical bond.
Nitrous is 36% Oxygen by weight (gas, liquid, solid, it’s the same), compared to atmospheric air at 22% oxygen. That’s 14% more oxygen if traded on a one for one basis.
Nitrous is slightly heavier than air.
The oxygen in nitrous is not available until the molecule disassociates at about 572F in an exothermic reaction, which means it’s adding heat just by breaking down into oxygen and nitrogen.
As both nitrogen and oxygen are non-flammable, so is nitrous oxide.
Once the molecule has disassociated, technically it’s no longer nitrous oxide, rather a mix of nitrogen and oxygen.

From basic chemistry we know that oxygen is required for combustion / oxidation to take place. Where it comes from isn’t all that important, it can be the fuel itself or from the outside (air, nitrous). We also know that the higher the oxygen concentration the more rigorous that combustion will be, both in speed and intensity. You might recall the experiment where by you lit a Popsicle stick, blew it out, then introduced it to an oxygen rich environment and it flamed back up and burnt brightly. This effect will be the same regardless of the source of oxygen. Nitrous is unique in that it won’t give up its oxygen (disassociate) until it’s heated to a significant degree, if it didn’t we’d have many more backfires and carnage as the intake charge would be very volatile, vulnerable to the slightest condition favoring combustion (stray spark, etc).

All this should make it clear that nitrous will accelerate combustion under almost any circumstance, no, not ALL circumstances, but most. As to the dangers of a runaway nitrous hose after a backfire, it should be clear that it is a very real one. One has only to ask Arnie “The Farmer” Beswick or Bill Kuhlman and a litany of others that have had the misfortune of experiencing it. What tends to happen in the most severe cases is that a backfire will damage a fuel line causing a fire, next the Teflon liner of the nitrous hose melts and starts to feed the fire the extra oxygen mentioned above. This will create a fire that will resist most efforts to extinguish it until the nitrous is shut off or the bottle goes dry.

So, in closing, the experiment, while not scientifically accurate, is a valid example of what happens when an oxidizer, in this case nitrous oxide, is introduced to the combustion process.

BTW, a little about myself. After completing the Racecar Technology program at Chaffey College (now sadly defunct), I went to work for NOS as a tech advisor (1994), this progressed to manager of the tech/customer service dept and the go-to guy for conducting training and seminars for our dealer’s tech staff as well as our own. I continued to work for NOS through the buy-out by Holley, but left to manage the Earl’s Race Store in Lawndale. Shortly after that, Mike Thermos (one of the owners of NOS) opened Nitrous Supply, which is where you’ll find me today. I’ll not get involved in any flame wars or arguments, I don’t have to prove anything to anyone, my interest here is merely to help correct some misconceptions about nitrous and how it works. If anyone would like more in-depth info, feel free to contact me or one of my guys here at Nitrous Supply.

Mike Flynn
Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IgnoranceKills
BTW, a little about myself. After completing the Racecar Technology program at Chaffey College (now sadly defunct), I went to work for NOS as a tech advisor (1994), this progressed to manager of the tech/customer service dept and the go-to guy for conducting training and seminars for our dealer’s tech staff as well as our own. I continued to work for NOS through the buy-out by Holley, but left to manage the Earl’s Race Store in Lawndale. Shortly after that, Mike Thermos (one of the owners of NOS) opened Nitrous Supply, which is where you’ll find me today. I’ll not get involved in any flame wars or arguments, I don’t have to prove anything to anyone, my interest here is merely to help correct some misconceptions about nitrous and how it works. If anyone would like more in-depth info, feel free to contact me or one of my guys here at Nitrous Supply.

Mike Flynn

Welcome to the site friend. We appreciate the input that we get around here from the 'Pro's'...

(just wanted to be the first to say 'welcome to the site'.)

It's awesome, The number of 'enthusiasts' that we have here at LS1-TECH.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Launching!

We just took some videos and some pics that people might find intresting. The quality is kind of crapy but it gets the point across. If anyone is intrested i hosting them let me know. I will go through them tonight and pick out some good ones.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

just upload them on the ls1tech video section. its free and pretty easy.

And Mike Thanks for posting. Very Informative.

The way i picture it now is like this.....the answer to me lies in the question: on a fire of a certain size and certain temp....how much of that nitrous coming out of the open line will be heated so that the 02 could be utilized? Seems like that would vary from case to case. Size of the fire. Temp of the fire. Location of the fire. Amount of fuel available. Direction of spray of the nitrous in relation to the fire. etc etc. In some cases it seems the open nitrous line may have little effect beyond what normal air would sustain...in others...with the conditions just right...im sure it could be nasty and practucally impossible to put out.

Seems the larger the fire and the more available fuel....the more heat will be available to crack the n20.
Imagine an engibe bay fire with a 1 foot flame and a few ounces of gas and thats it. A -4 line open and blowing on it doesnt seem like it would have much an effect and much of what was coming out of the -4 line would remain nitrous oxide. The amount that was able to reach the temp to crack the n20 obviously would be utilzed in combustion. But it would be small.

In the other hand a nasty engine fire billowing 12 foot tall flames and several gallons of fuel everywhere...with an open -4 line right smack in the middle of it would be nasty. Likley all of that n20 would reach the temp needed to extract that 02 providing a substantial increase in available o2 over ambient air. That fire would be nearly impossible to put out in the vicinity thats being fed by the n20 line

By the way Mike...I like to think of these as "discussions". Not really a pissing contest that goes no where. Generally we have enough people that can get a grasp of ideas here and a concensus will form. I just try to state my case as I see it. if parts of that are wrong it will not stand up to scrutiny and I will hopefully learn something. I actually like the lenghty discussions as long as all sides stay open, try to grasp the arguement presented, and keep the name calling out of here. So feel free to post in the furure. The more factual info presented...the better off we all are.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 08-09-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Launching!

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/5e888...18016e4b59.htm

Paper towel half soaked in nitrous

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/844a6...1801709dbe.htm

Coke Can with nitrous in it

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/37270...180171c6b4.htm

Stick that was on fire then went out then came back to life.

Some pics (Hopefully)

Making liquid nitrous

Nitrous in a cup

Whats left of the can

Hopefully the videos work if not I will try and post them again
Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Restricted User

Welcome Mike, and I actually feel better right now...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all for making me feel welcome! I don't normally have a lot of time to spend on-line, so you won't hear too much from me, but I like to lend a hand when I can. Most of my time with NOS was spent training and helping customers understand what nitrous is really all about, regardless of brand or a customer's level of knowledge. I don't think of anyone as stupid, just maybe ignorant, which isn't a put down, I'm plenty ignorant of animal husbandry, but I can learn about it if I choose. That's my goal, to help folks learn, if they want. Will I have all the answers, definitely not, but I'll tell you that and find out what I can, that's all anyone can ask really.

Mike

Last edited by IgnoranceKills; 08-09-2006 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=383LQ4SS]just upload them on the ls1tech video section. its free and pretty easy.

The way i picture it now is like this.....the answer to me lies in the question: on a fire of a certain size and certain temp....how much of that nitrous coming out of the open line will be heated so that the 02 could be utilized? Seems like that would vary from case to case. Size of the fire. Temp of the fire. Location of the fire. Amount of fuel available. Direction of spray of the nitrous in relation to the fire. etc etc. In some cases it seems the open nitrous line may have little effect beyond what normal air would sustain...in others...with the conditions just right...im sure it could be nasty and practucally impossible to put out.

Above you touch on something that I didn't cover and that is the effect of the velocity and direction of the nitrous as it enters the "party". This can be significant, but more often than not just serves to stir up the fuel, be that gasoline, fiberglass, plastic, aluminum, etc., making a bigger fire. While it is possible to blow-out a fire (basically you push the flame away from the fuel at a rate faster than the flame front travels); but almost any time this happens, there will be something in the way that causes enough turbulence to keep the flame close enough to the fuel to prevent success. Also, in the case of nitrous, that front will be moving faster (this is why we need to retard ignition timing in our cars) making success that much more difficult. That's not to say it won't happen or can't be done. If I have time I’ll see if I can break out my home-made propane flame thrower and make a video to illustrate this effect. It makes a hell of a flame and keeps getting bigger as you turn up the “wick” until the mix is moving away faster than the flame can travel and then- flame out! If I get around to it, I’ll install the turbulence generators that will slow down enough of the flame front to keep it lit (same thing they do on afterburners). It should make a good video if nothing else! Thanks again for the welcome!

Mike
Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Sweet! lol. That will make a great video. Definately post it if you do it!

Just dont become one of those internet "accident" videos where they are rolling you around trying to put you out.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=IgnoranceKills]
Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
just upload them on the ls1tech video section. its free and pretty easy.

Above you touch on something that I didn't cover and that is the effect of the velocity and direction of the nitrous as it enters the "party". This can be significant, but more often than not just serves to stir up the fuel, be that gasoline, fiberglass, plastic, aluminum, etc., making a bigger fire. While it is possible to blow-out a fire (basically you push the flame away from the fuel at a rate faster than the flame front travels); but almost any time this happens, there will be something in the way that causes enough turbulence to keep the flame close enough to the fuel to prevent success. Also, in the case of nitrous, that front will be moving faster (this is why we need to retard ignition timing in our cars) making success that much more difficult. That's not to say it won't happen or can't be done. If I have time I’ll see if I can break out my home-made propane flame thrower and make a video to illustrate this effect. It makes a hell of a flame and keeps getting bigger as you turn up the “wick” until the mix is moving away faster than the flame can travel and then- flame out! If I get around to it, I’ll install the turbulence generators that will slow down enough of the flame front to keep it lit (same thing they do on afterburners). It should make a good video if nothing else! Thanks again for the welcome!

Mike
Thanks for the great explaination. I know my test was flawed just was trying to prove it doens't blow out like some say. the best quote ever take a match crack a n20 bottle the flame blows out lol
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by srsnow
http://video.ls1tech.com/video/5e888...18016e4b59.htm

Paper towel half soaked in nitrous

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/844a6...1801709dbe.htm

Coke Can with nitrous in it

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/37270...180171c6b4.htm

Stick that was on fire then went out then came back to life.

Some pics (Hopefully)

Making liquid nitrous

Nitrous in a cup

Whats left of the can

Hopefully the videos work if not I will try and post them again
The coke can video was a GREAT test. SInce with the liquid nitrous at the bottom..it would be 100% full of nitrous oxide liquid and vapor. So the fuel that was being burned (in this case it looked like a paper towel?) would have gotten its 02 strictly from the oxygen realeased from the nitrous as it reached the critical temp. And the fire is certainly more intense than what ambient air would allow.

Excellent video.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

So the heat from any fire can get to the magic number of o2 being released. And once release what ever can but will burn.
Nice Videos, and good thing Mike does not work for NOS anymore.
Ricky
Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM

Ok got a question just tried my own little burn test.. Shhhh dont tell the boss.. haha
Poored gas onto the ground caught it on fire, aimed the hose at turn the bottle on and blew the flame out.
I guess the fire was not hot enough for the small amount pushed at it. Now its not a true liquid seeing how we jsut turned the bottle and had white cloud coming out.
So I will say this
Don't catch your car on fire.
Rickyk
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
So I will say this
Don't catch your car on fire.
Ricky
Ya what you said But you forgot to add a "Confucus say" infront of it lol..

Last edited by David@TNT; 08-10-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its to my understanding that it takes heat and compression to completely release the oxygen, I could be wrong "and have been before" .. My experience with fires is that the nitrous dosent intenisfy the fire it merely distributes the fumes that are buring allready.. If it dramatically increased the oxygen I would think the fire would illuminate a white flame instead of a bigger orange glow.. The can test does show a low content of oxygen present but very very little.. David@TNT
Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Ricky what you probably were experiencing was that the nitrous was moving to fast for the burn rate of the gas. Mike touched on this aspect of it in a previous post Also if you are past the lean limit it won't burn either. And I would say yes most fire will have some part of them that is hot enough to crack nitrous. If you look at the one video we took a stick that was burning and stuck it in the nitrous. Even after the fire had gone out and was just smoldering it still had enough heat to break it down and start burning again.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Nitrous doesn't require compression only heat to separate. And you can't partially release the oxygen it either does or does not. The fire did get much brighter the camera takes pretty crappy video but if you watch the videos you can see the camera goes dark because of how bright the fire burns. It is hard to see on the video but when the paper towel burned it was so hot and intense that it actually burned part of the piece of wood it was sitting on, as in removed material from it. Explain what you mean by distributes the flames? If you are referring to the "fanning effect" talked about earlier this is why we used liquid nitrous. The videos clearly show that nitrous does in fact intensify the fire. Look at the size and brightness of the fire on side of the paper towel with no nitrous vs. the side with the nitrous. Also how much faster it burned which is the increased burn rate that requires timing to be taken out when using nitrous on an engine.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 PM

gotcha, agreed,,,, now was it me or did I hear some voices on the video that sound a little nervous at the start.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Us nervous? Never we were in complete control the whole time. But I do tend to get a little excited when doing stuff like this, the bigger the fire and the bigger the boom the better.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

nice vids. definitely does better than my test.