Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To prove my point nitrous does help make things worst during a fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006 | 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last night, I put nitrous in my mouth and was spitting fireballs...
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:17 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Ok I will not bang on any tests but this test is flaud, from what i can see.
1st. I did not read what was in the can. ( a little gasonline ?)
2nd. from what I can see you are injecting nitrous into the button of this can that has something burning it. correct?

IF you spray air pressure into this type of test you will get this huge flame throwing effect. Just like blowing on hot coals they glow more, not becuase of nitrous becuase you are moving more air to the flame. You are spreading the burning media around, hence a larger flame.
Nitrous has to release its oxygen to help the fire. MOST fires I have seen are where you have a back fire, and we all know what happen there, and then the nitrous can spread the fuel around.
Now at XXX? heat the oxygen will get released, So in a CAR fire that got burnt to the ground the nitrous play in this would be the spreading of the burning material until the temp got XXX hot, then there will be more oxygen to make a better fire.
A true test would be to put the fire in a sealed enclosure, then add nitrous to the enclosure and see if the fire stays lit.
Back fires are nasty little problems that can happen and do happen from time to time, just like crossing the road, a piano could fall on you.

Ricky
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Srsnow..how are you getting the liquid nitrous to play with?
I could tell you but then I would have to kill you, no but seriously its pretty easy. I was doing it at home to show my roomates what nitrous does. Take your bottle and a short pice of line. I used a 32oz water bottle but anything can work the more insulated it is the better. Hook the line up to the nitrous bottle and put the other end in the water bottle now crack the valve on the nitrous bottle. Once the container you are using cools off enough you will be able to keep a small amount of liquid in it. It is a good idea to wear clothing that will cover your skin you can get little splashes that come back up and get on your hands, also a good insulated glove the bottle will get cold.
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:48 PM
Launching!

A lot of people keep bringing up the suggestion that the reason the fire got bigger in his video is that it was because he was "fanning the flame" so to speak and the same thing would happen with compressed air. But that isn't necessarily true nitrous will increase the burn rate and support combustion. And as I said earlier will do it in a liquid form as well which should alleviate any question as to whether the effects witnessed were from a fanning of the flame effect or from the fact that the nitrous is actually breaking down and releasing oxygen.

In fact if you read the label on nitrous bottles it will usually say that it will support combustion.

From the label on an NX bottle.
"WARNING: HIGH PRESSURE OXIDIZING LIQUID AND GAS. VIGOROUSLY ACCELERATES COMBUSTION"

The fact is that introducing nitrous to a fire will cause the fire to burn hotter and faster. Which is why you need to retard timing with nitrous, it increases the burn rate. The other thing is that in an oxygen rich environment a lot of things that normally would not be considered a fuel can become a source of fuel for a fire. If you took a coal or piece of wood that was just smoldering because it had burn all the fuel it could in its current environment and poured liquid nitrous on it it would cause it burn again until it had used all of the oxygen that the nitrous introduced.
Old 08-08-2006 | 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Ok I will not bang on any tests but this test is flaud, from what i can see.
1st. I did not read what was in the can. ( a little gasonline ?)
2nd. from what I can see you are injecting nitrous into the button of this can that has something burning it. correct?

IF you spray air pressure into this type of test you will get this huge flame throwing effect. Just like blowing on hot coals they glow more, not becuase of nitrous becuase you are moving more air to the flame. You are spreading the burning media around, hence a larger flame.
Nitrous has to release its oxygen to help the fire. MOST fires I have seen are where you have a back fire, and we all know what happen there, and then the nitrous can spread the fuel around.
Now at XXX? heat the oxygen will get released, So in a CAR fire that got burnt to the ground the nitrous play in this would be the spreading of the burning material until the temp got XXX hot, then there will be more oxygen to make a better fire.
A true test would be to put the fire in a sealed enclosure, then add nitrous to the enclosure and see if the fire stays lit.
Back fires are nasty little problems that can happen and do happen from time to time, just like crossing the road, a piano could fall on you.

Ricky

Ricky,

The can has a hole in the bout 2 inches up from the bottom. I filled the bottom bout a 1" with kerosene. I used some hardline I had laying around bended it 90 degrees so that the nitrous is pointing straight up. So it's not blowing on the flame. It's just adding more air to the unburnt fuel making it bigger. The line is bout 2 inches taller than the top of the fuel. I lit it the fuel let it burn for a bit then hit the nitrous. It's definitly doing something. It's bringing in a different colored flame. kinda like greenish/blue colored.
Old 08-08-2006 | 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ricky
your talking bout an air tight container?
Old 08-08-2006 | 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like the gas in the can you are burning is being forced out of the top due to the pressuse from the nitrous. that is what it looks like to me nitrous is non flamable.
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:06 PM
Launching!

I'm surprised that this is such a controversial subject. What do you think happens when you put nitrous in an engine? Nitrous is an oxidizer it will support combustion that is a fact. Like I said earlier pour some liquid nitrous on a fire and see what happens. And to be completely honest I am surprised that the people that work for some of the nitrous companies aren't more aware of what nitrous is and how it works. The idea that introducing nitrous to a fire can cause it to burn faster is a very basic principle of nitrous oxide and should be understood by anyone who is designing and selling nitrous kits. The video that Red90cobra posted is exactly what nitrous does it aids in combustion.
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
Looks like the gas in the can you are burning is being forced out of the top due to the pressuse from the nitrous. that is what it looks like to me nitrous is non flamable.
yes it's not flamable but with the proper fuel it accelerates.
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by srsnow
I'm surprised that this is such a controversial subject. What do you think happens when you put nitrous in an engine? Nitrous is an oxidizer it will support combustion that is a fact. Like I said earlier pour some liquid nitrous on a fire and see what happens. And to be completely honest I am surprised that the people that work for some of the nitrous companies aren't more aware of what nitrous is and how it works. The idea that introducing nitrous to a fire can cause it to burn faster is a very basic principle of nitrous oxide and should be understood by anyone who is designing and selling nitrous kits. The video that Red90cobra posted is exactly what nitrous does it aids in combustion.
you won't believe how much crap I get for trying to say that. I know from first hand experience, lol. lets say I toasted a 27k truck.
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by srsnow

You cant compare an engine cylinder to an open engine bay. EVERY bit of nitrous that is ingested into a cylinder WILL be broken down and the oxygen will be utilized in the combustion of the fuel. The nitrous cracks quickly under compression, is swirled around and is spread out evenly.

An open engine bay full of fuel is completely different. If you have an open -4 line hooked to an open 15 lb bottle of nitrous and its spraying through the middle of a flame ( not near the base where the fuel is) it likely will have minimal effect on the fire. As a matter of fact I would bet that the majority of the nitrous will exit the opposite side of the flame. Iam sure a small amount on the fringes would reach the temp needed to crack the bond and release the usable 02 molecules.

Now compare that to an open -4 line pointed at the base of a superhot engine with puddles of fuel everywhere anf possibly fuel coninueing to be pumped in the engine compartement. The effect of that nitrous IMO would be two fold.
One would be the agitation of the fuel, making it a finer spray. Obviosuly a fine mist of fuel will burn alot quicker than a pool of fuel.

Second would be the actual heating of the n20 until the 02 molecule would be released. Again...under most curcumstance, in an open engine bay I seriously doubt that 100% of the nitrous would reach that temp. So what % would actually become usable o2 to suport the flame? Who knows...depends on the EXACT situation. And since N20 only contains a little bit more 02 than regular air...to make the fire worse...it would have to be a high % 02 released from n20 to exceed what would normally be in the air.

IOW...the amount of heat an engine fire may impart on a high velocity jet of n20 shooting through a flame likley would not come close enough to extract 100% of the o2 from the n20.

I personally think the agitation of fuel and the "stoking" of the fuel/fire from the high velocity n20 plays as big or likely bigger part to the fire than the increase 02 content.

Thats why the MSDS sheets say fire hazard is negligable. Its somewhat of a trade off.
Old 08-08-2006 | 08:15 PM
Restricted User

Holy schnickies.. I seriously think some of you need to learn yourselves up on WTF your putting into your engines. Since the begining of this discussion, including the other thread, there are several things that are FACT, but disclaimed by backdoor chemists and myths being presented as facts.
1. Race gas burns slower than 87 octane pump gas! Fact! Dont believe me, go fill your empty tank up with C16 and make some NA runs, compare to 92 octane (or wtf ever octane you run in your mom's car) and see how much slower your times are.

2. Nitrous Oxide, although an oxidizer MUST meet the 572*F before the oxygen is released from the Nitrogen molecules. It simply will NOT add to a fire blowing across it, as Al stated, it would most likely, under the recommended pressure, push right across the flame front with little if any broken down and consumed.

3. Liquid Nitrous Oxide DOES NOT Enter your combustion chamber. When used in an internal combustion engine, the juice goes from a liquid to a gas! GAS man, vaporific type substance, not a solid, not a liquid. It also goes thru phase changes along its path to the chamber, everytime it encounters a difference in line I.D., across the solenoid orifice, and once released from the jet (or open line) it is allowed to expand and thus changes from liquid to GAS. Even the reference above is flawed about holding an open line into water bottle...sure you may get liquid nitrous settling...ONCE THE BOTTLE REACHES LOW ENOUGH TEMPERATURE TO SUPPORT REALIGNMENT OF PHASING BACK TO LIQUID. BUT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE!

4. Now, in the story of the car with a backfire, and open nitrous line, the nitrous being exiting the line is a GAS, and unless the engine fire temp reaches over 570* it WILL NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTENSITY OF THE FIRE BY ADDING OXYGEN (i.e. being and oxidizer)...however, having a 900pound per square inch breeze if you will, blowing across an open fuel line with fuel escaping, will contribute by virtue of the fanning effect.

In the slim chance the fanning, from the release of such a pressurized GAS across the race fuel reached over 570*F, then and ONLY then could the open nitrous line contribute in a OXIDIZING manner.

Just think about the experiments and if you're really wanting to PROVE anything of the such, reinact the mishap to the best of your ability.
Old 08-08-2006 | 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAT3
Holy schnickies.. I seriously think some of you need to learn yourselves up on WTF your putting into your engines. Since the begining of this discussion, including the other thread, there are several things that are FACT, but disclaimed by backdoor chemists and myths being presented as facts.
1. Race gas burns slower than 87 octane pump gas! Fact! Dont believe me, go fill your empty tank up with C16 and make some NA runs, compare to 92 octane (or wtf ever octane you run in your mom's car) and see how much slower your times are.

2. Nitrous Oxide, although an oxidizer MUST meet the 572*F before the oxygen is released from the Nitrogen molecules. It simply will NOT add to a fire blowing across it, as Al stated, it would most likely, under the recommended pressure, push right across the flame front with little if any broken down and consumed.

3. Liquid Nitrous Oxide DOES NOT Enter your combustion chamber. When used in an internal combustion engine, the juice goes from a liquid to a gas! GAS man, vaporific type substance, not a solid, not a liquid. It also goes thru phase changes along its path to the chamber, everytime it encounters a difference in line I.D., across the solenoid orifice, and once released from the jet (or open line) it is allowed to expand and thus changes from liquid to GAS. Even the reference above is flawed about holding an open line into water bottle...sure you may get liquid nitrous settling...ONCE THE BOTTLE REACHES LOW ENOUGH TEMPERATURE TO SUPPORT REALIGNMENT OF PHASING BACK TO LIQUID. BUT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE!

4. Now, in the story of the car with a backfire, and open nitrous line, the nitrous being exiting the line is a GAS, and unless the engine fire temp reaches over 570* it WILL NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTENSITY OF THE FIRE BY ADDING OXYGEN (i.e. being and oxidizer)...however, having a 900pound per square inch breeze if you will, blowing across an open fuel line with fuel escaping, will contribute by virtue of the fanning effect.

In the slim chance the fanning, from the release of such a pressurized GAS across the race fuel reached over 570*F, then and ONLY then could the open nitrous line contribute in a OXIDIZING manner.

Just think about the experiments and if you're really wanting to PROVE anything of the such, reinact the mishap to the best of your ability.

i agree on what your saying. it depends on the situation I guess.
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by red90cobra
your talking bout an air tight container?
YEs air tight. This will show that n2o will not help the fire stay buring, the flame will go out.
Now I really need to learn how to type those long explanations, like 383 and CAT.

Ricky
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

YEs air tight. This will show that n2o will not help the fire stay buring, the flame will go out.
Now I really need to learn how to type those long explanations, like 383 and CAT.

Ricky
lol i think i've seen you type them out before lol
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

the problem with air tight is the increase atmosperic(sp) pressure.
Old 08-08-2006 | 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

well...try to make it close to airtight...and have nitrous fed in at a slow enough rate that it doesnt stoke the flames...but fast enough that it will eventually displace all or atleast most of the ambiant air that would be in the enclosure.

Like maybe a BBQ grill with the lid on, the bottom vent closed and the top vent as the nitrrous feed line. Now if you could just find one with a window so you can see what happens...lol.
Old 08-09-2006 | 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
well...try to make it close to airtight...and have nitrous fed in at a slow enough rate that it doesnt stoke the flames...but fast enough that it will eventually displace all or atleast most of the ambiant air that would be in the enclosure.

Like maybe a BBQ grill with the lid on, the bottom vent closed and the top vent as the nitrrous feed line. Now if you could just find one with a window so you can see what happens...lol.
lol, would be an interesting test.
Old 08-09-2006 | 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lafngas98Z
Havent you guys seen "The Fast and The Furious"? when the Eclipse gets shot up and Dom runs from the car and yells NAWS!!!! Duh, need I say more!! LOL

I can't help but wonder 'why' that DVD was not incuded with my kit...
Old 08-09-2006 | 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

I agree that in 99% of the backfires you see, the nitrous itself will not contribute to intesifying the fire other than the fanning of fuel that was mentioned.

However, check out this nasty backfire from piedmont last year, http://video.ls1tech.com/video/21b31...17014ae5ea.htm . Check out the intense flame that erupts from under the scoop. I can't help but wonder if this was a situation where the nitrous did act as an oxidizer.