Sponsored by:

To prove my point nitrous does help make things worst during a fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To prove my point nitrous does help make things worst during a fire

My test

I did this to prove a point. The flames would have been bigger but I didn't want to catch my house on fire. This is just the bottle cracked then closed to fill the line. You people who say take a lighter crack a bottle and flame goes out. You just don't understand. So when you have a nitrous back fire and the car is on fire the nitrous will help burn it to the ground if you do not turn it off. I'll make a better vid later. Gonna see how high of a flame I can shoot up.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

without nitrous it wouldn't burn as fast or as hot
Old 08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

That really doesnt prove anything just yet. I know nitrous has to be heated to relese the oxygen and I doubt its heated to that degree in your test. I would think that your test and the "poof" is more similair to stoking or blowing on a flame.

I would do something a little different. I would put a plug in the end of a line and just snug it down so it "seeps" gaseous nitrous in the vicinity of the flame without Blowing on the flame with alot of velocity. Hopefully a cloud of gas nitrous will displace the normal air around the fire. See if it increases in size and temp. If it does not increase in size and temp its not helping in oxidizing. A laser thermometer would be ideal for this.

And better yet....do this on a log or some other fuel that has a slow burn rate and cannot be affected by the jet of nitrous disturbing the liquid fuel causeing a larger surface area of fuel for the vapors to escape.

If you have ever seen the oxygen side only of an oxy/acetaline torch blown onto the tip of a cigerette youll know what i mean.

I personally think an open nitrous line blowing into and engine compartement full of fuel just makes it more difficult to put out because of the velocity and agitation of the fuel in that compartment will release alot more vapor to burn with the surrounding air. Under some curcumstances i would bet that some amount of the nitrous oxide would be split and help sustain the fire...but not much.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 08-07-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Nitrous can make a fire a lot worse. I was just doing this last night. Take liquid nitrous and pour it on a fire and see how much hotter and brighter it will get. Pour liquid nitrous on a smoldering coal or pice of wood and watch it catch back on fire. Take liquid nitrous and pour it on a paper towel and then put the paper towel in a fire and watch burn almost instantly. The nitrous will cause things to burn a lot hotter.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Nitrous Oxide MSDS

http://www.cise.columbia.edu/clean/m...trousoxide.pdf

Coming out of the bottle, its not liquid.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Srsnow..how are you getting the liquid nitrous to play with?

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 08-07-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm..according to Beers MSDS it sais fire hazard is negligible
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/nfpa.html

Check out what 0 means for Flammability

0 Materials that will not burn.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Instability it sais 0 as well. Seems pretty stable.

Normally stable, even under fire exposure conditions, and are not reactive with water
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS

I personally think an open nitrous line blowing into and engine compartement full of fuel just makes it more difficult to put out because of the velocity and agitation of the fuel in that compartment will release alot more vapor to burn with the surrounding air. Under some curcumstances i would bet that some amount of the nitrous oxide would be split and help sustain the fire...but not much.

I was really just trying to prove it aids in a fire and doesn't go out. Plus it seems the majority thinks it'll just put the fire out. I'm gonna do like you suggest. I'm gonna find a plug. and find a laser thermometer. i'll post back up.

Originally Posted by Area47
:::holds up lighter and cracks a nitrous bottle open:::

hmmm
flame went out

carry on
Originally Posted by Hocky
Nitrous isn't going to make the fire worse... only the fuel will.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent you guys seen "The Fast and The Furious"? when the Eclipse gets shot up and Dom runs from the car and yells NAWS!!!! Duh, need I say more!! LOL
Old 08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lafngas98Z
Havent you guys seen "The Fast and The Furious"? when the Eclipse gets shot up and Dom runs from the car and yells NAWS!!!! Duh, need I say more!! LOL
lol. jeeze maybe I should just posted that.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Large fires: Use regular foam or flood with fine water spray.
FIRE FIGHTING: Move container from fire area if it can be done without risk. Cool containers with water
spray until well after the fire is out. Stay away from the ends of tanks. For fires in cargo or storage area: Cool
containers with water from unmanned hose holder or monitor nozzles until well after fire is out. If this is
impossible then take the following precautions: Keep unnecessary people away, isolate hazard area and deny
entry. Let the fire burn. Use extinguishing agents appropriate for surrounding fire. Cool containers with
water spray until well after the fire is out. Apply water from a protected location or from a safe distance. Do
not get water directly on material. Reduce vapors with water spray. Avoid inhalation of material or
combustion by-products. Stay upwind and keep out of low areas. Consider downwind evacuation if material
is leaking.

would suck to put one of these fires out
Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 PM
7 Second Club

n20 is an oxidizer... how come cylinder temps sky rocket when its injected in a motor...

the chemical it self may not be flammable.. im really not sure but what it does is draw oxygen to it... so if its near a fire it will help it burn hotter because it draws oxygen to that specific point where the n20 is released.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Launching!

no nitrous oxide does not "draw oxygen".nitrous oxide chemically breaks down when it reaches a certain temperature. i dont know the temp off hand but i believe its somehwere it the range of 6xx degrees. what it does is it breaks down from nitrous oxide into 2 parts oxygen and 1 part nitrogen. hence why you must add fuel with nitrous because when it breaks down the content of oxygen in the cylinder is greatly increased
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

this is the best thread I've ever started lol it's sad I know.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lafngas98Z
He was right!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I had a candle lit, and I had my nitrous bottle next to me, so I decided to see if it would make the flame bigger. Well the 1st time I opened the bottle too fast and it put out the flame, but the 2nd time I cracked it so you can barley feel it coming out, and the flame definatly started burning hotter.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Restricted User

B/w the temperature and pressure inside the cylinder, nitrous breaks its nitrogen to oxygen bond and result is more oxygen available for more fuel to be consumed. An open nitrous line under the hood of a car with an engine should not increase the fire, unless the temperature rises to the point of molecular separation. Is it possible, yes, probable, not really.
Continue with the experiments though, I find them quite entertaining. p.s. you might get similar results by shooting Carbondioxide over a burning can...candle etc...

BTW 572* F.

Last edited by CAT3; 08-08-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAT3
B/w the temperature and pressure inside the cylinder, nitrous breaks its nitrogen to oxygen bond and result is more oxygen available for more fuel to be consumed. An open nitrous line under the hood of a car with an engine should not increase the fire, unless the temperature rises to the point of molecular separation. Is it possible, yes, probable, not really.
Continue with the experiments though, I find them quite entertaining. p.s. you might get similar results by shooting Carbondioxide over a burning can...candle etc...

BTW 572* F.
lol i actually have a carbon dioxide bottle here with some left in it lol. i'll check on it tomarrow. I wish i had a metal barrel. I think that like mention earlier if its not breaking down to help fuel it'll help blow on the blaze like a small camp fire. I've proved the point I wanted to make about the matter. I'll look into the advice given though.