Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NX bottle opener and bottle question (sticking)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NX bottle opener and bottle question (sticking)

My 15lb NX bottles are about 3 years old, not until this season am I having problems with the nx opener not opening them. I have to do it manually (oh the horror) and they are still tough to open. I tightened the clutch on the opener, but still the same thing. It's not just one bottle, its 2 of my 15lbers - the others are fine but they are newer. Any way to lube or get these things to lossen up like they were when new?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

my opener sticks as well on a new bottle and a new opener
Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a new NX opener and a new 10lb NX bottle. The opener will stick open and won't close. It was somewhat intermittent but if left open for any length of time it would not close. I adjusted the clutch from very loose to very tight and no luck. NX was very nice & they sent me a new opener. But same problem.

So I decided to do some testing. I took a nut for a 5/16" bolt and filed a square hole in it so it would just fit over the square part of the shaft. I found that it took 8 inch pounds of torque to turn the shaft in either direction. I tried various torques but the results were similar. If I closed the bottle to 20 inch pounds of torque it would take a little less that 20 inch pounds to start to open it. But if I opened the bottle to 20 inch pounds of torque it would take about 40 inch pounds to get it to start to close.

Apparently I have a defective bottle valve. After I told them what I found NX sent me a new bottle valve and it is so easy to open and close that when rotating the valve it barely registers any torque at all on the beam type torque wrench. When I torque the new valve open or closed to 20 inch pounds it takes just a little less than 20 inch pounds to get it started the other way.

Yes I did have a defctive valve as any company can have, but NX was very good to work with and their customer service gets a from me

The clutch applies the same torque in both directions. So if you have a bottle valve that is harder to open than it is to close or vice versa the opener will not work.

You may want to call NX and see what they say about older valves getting hard to turn.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good info Terry

Maybe NX can chime in for the rest of us
Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

how can i take the neck off the lube these things?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
how can i take the neck off the lube these things?
Make sure the bottle is empty.

NX told me to hold the bottle between my legs (I think it might be easier with 2 people.) and put a big wrench on the square part of the valve. Then hit the end of the wrench with a big hammer to break it loose. Then do the same thing to finish tightening it.

Call NX and ask. I have a valve out of the bottle and from looking at it I do not think it will help to take it out. It looks like it may come apart from the top.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you adjust the clutch?

I just installed a used nx kit and am having the issues too.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
how do you adjust the clutch?

I just installed a used nx kit and am having the issues too.
Take the 4 screws off the top & lift the motor assembly off. You will see under there some plastic teeth with a screw in the center. There is a nut on the other side of the screw. Hold the screw head firmly and tighten the nut to make the clutch tighter and loosen it to make it weeker.

Did you mount the opener correctly? Before the assembly is mounted on the bottle the bottle valve is supposed to be all the way open.

Remember the clutch has the same force (torque) both opening and closing where ever it is adjusted so if the valve after being opened and closed with the same torque and it is harder to close or open than it is to go the opposite way you will not be able to get the clutch adjusted to work right. It will either stick open or closed.

Note: If the gear is dry you might want to put some grease on it. If the clutch it's self is dry call NX and ask but the new ones look like they have grease between the clutch plates.

Also with my defective valve when I tried to rotate the valve stem using my fingers on the aluminum adapter I could turn it but it was pretty stiff. The new one rotated very easily with my fingers.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

just started a new thread