Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm getting F'd!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think I'm getting F'd!

So this makes no sense to me. I had my bottle filled not too long ago, before the heads/cam. All I had used it was on a short burst through PART of 2nd gear to see if it activated. Then I sprayed it 3 times on the dyno, that's it. Lastly this past sun I wanted to see what it felt like on the street so I flipped it on and notta. I go home, weigh the bottle and it's like 19 lbs. A 15 lber weighs 18 lbs 13 oz. empty. So what is the deal? It never lasts no time. I don't leave it on, and I don't have leaks. It's just a dry hit, NOS 5177 with the 125 fwhp jets. All I can think is that the performance place I go to is screwing me and not filling it all the way up. At 59.xx a fill, I am really about to say this ****
Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't weigh it when it was filled I assume? You should have noticed that it didn't weigh that much after it was supposedly filled.

As for your leaks, I check mine almost every week with a liquid soap solution and watch for bubbles. Even minute leaks show up.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you watch them fill it or do they take it to the back?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

ya, always watch them fill it on a scale
Old 11-01-2006, 09:15 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Bring your track scale, and check it in front of them before paying. When they see you walk in with your scale, they will know you know what you're doing. Mark your bottle empty weight in paint so you & they see what's what. Keep records, you might of went thru more than you thought on the dyno.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Bring your track scale, and check it in front of them before paying. When they see you walk in with your scale, they will know you know what you're doing. Mark your bottle empty weight in paint so you & they see what's what. Keep records, you might of went thru more than you thought on the dyno.

they wont take this as an insult either...just lets them know your not a tard
Old 11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$59 a fill !!! I hope they give you a kiss.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

In Rochester Mn, i pay 6.50 a pound for nitrous. Comes out to be like 70 bucks to fill a ten pond bottle. I should get a freaking handjob for that too. I heard people are paying low as 3 bucks a pound down in IL.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Restricted User

Near chicago i pay $3.48 a lb but there are other places i have heard that it is under $3.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

2.69 in orlando...american motorsports rocks
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Launching!

If it’s a 5177 kit than the valve is a SHF valve and it is not uncommon for them to leak a little around where the gauge or the 1/4 plug goes. Also check the gauge if it was liquid filled make sure it still is I have seen those leak sometimes. If it was a new kit and was the first time it was used this is something to look in to. If the kit has been on the car and used before with out these problems it is less likely but not impossible. And if it's none of those things than like everyone else said bring a scale next time.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

I have seen more than one nos(holly) bottle leak when new. I don't think they have any qc.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have been clipped a few times on refills. I take my scale and weigh before and after. They may not be doing it to burn you, some places can't ever seem to get a bottle totally full, for different reasons. Yea, filling my 2 15lb'ers is $$ affair. I had a purge noid that leaked and empty bottle was the result next time I sprayed.
Robert
Old 11-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Default Nitrous fill's

If bottle is put in a freezer before filling it will get a better fill. My nitrous guy puts mine in a chest freezer for a few hours then tops it off. After doing this I weighed it & wrote the weight on the bottle
of what a full bottle weighed. I weigh my bottle after racing and always know how much is left. He also knows when he see's the numbers I know what a full bottle weighs. I run 2 bottles both with pressure adjustable heaters set to come on at 1050 psi & shut off at 1100 psi. Running 2 bottles into a Y-fitting 2-4 an's into a 6an line to the front. This system lets me purge to 1050 psi and my drop is no more the 100 psi after I run. The bottle heater is already on so I am back up to pressure before the next run. I run 2 stage 75 HP & 100 HP. I use a hand button for stage one & a delay timer for stage 2 (2.6 sec, delay). Using the hand button allows me to get into it or out when I like. I also purge into the fendor wells on the passinger side so it is not noticed. I don't run every run full nitrous
maybe just a couple. I sometimes run motor & just enough nitrous to win. You know how fast your best run can be & don't waste nitrous or tear stuff up as much. Two stage is far easier on everything then even a smaller single stage. I run 75 HP & 100 HP with less stress then a 125 HP single shot also no traction issues on Nitto's NT555R's. Running 2 bottles you can take each down to 2 lbs. where as with 1 bottle you can only go to 4lbs before having pressure issues. The hand button stage one allows for even bad or good prepped tracks also the delay used. Old time nitrous user (15 years).
Old 11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am certain there are no leaks. And as someone stated, no, I didn't weigh it after the fill, but it always fills alot heavier than before. But something isn't right.

I don't have a "track scale" as someone suggested. All I have is a bathroom scale that would look cute packing in....

They fill it in the back, behind closed doors, and this last time, I had it on the A/C register in a Hotel I had stayed in and it was damn cold.

From now on I am going to go back there and watch them fill it. I'll just tell em the deal and if they don't oblige then I'll go elsewhere. Hopefully I will be able to get my own fill station going for next year, just have to find a bulk supplier.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I meant the scale you take to the track, mine is a bathroom scale also, that way you have a consistant record of what you use & get. I get N2O from a sponsor now, but when I was buying from speed shop's, I didn't care how I looked, I race to win, and good records, and consistant equipment is all that matters.

I also freeze my bottles, (good tip) it does fill much easier, and you can use less air pressure to fill.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Default Nitrous medical grade for refill.

Most states let you buy or rent medical grade nitrous if you get a refill station. Most of the nitrous I have bought has been medical grade without the bad smell. If the nitrous you use does not stink it is probable medical grade. On a bottle from the freezer you can bet you have 10 to 11 lbs for sure. It takes a long time to fill a hot bottle and it won't always top off. A cold one is a easy fill. Some people will not sell less then a charge for 10lbs. even if you have 4lbs you still get charged for 10 lbs.
I only get charged for what is added so it pay's to ask. A good bathroom scale is a least a way to check about how much is left in the bottle. UPS or one of those mail places will usually let you use thier scale for free. Most guy's that fill thier own after bottle rental end up filling for less then $2.00 a lb. so if you get a fill station & scale with some buddies it can save some money. Big *** bottle is a pain and you will need a compressor. Make sure the filler uses a big canister nitrous filter for no trash.
I use a canister filter under the hood of all my set-ups & NX makes the best solenoids period with a life time warrenty. Call them ea. race season & they will check and rebuild for frieght only cost. Stay
away from Zex crap of any kind . One of the best bottle heaters I have seen is this one from Harris or the one from Dynatune both fully adjustable pressure.
http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=269&page=1