Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Nitrous Oxide

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Making Nitrous Oxide

So I figured out how to make N20 over the weekend, and actually made my first batch. Whether or not it is illegal, immoral, or just plain stupid, I dont give a hoot. This is purely for "scientific" reasons, or basically, just to see if it can be done.
What Im curious to know is, how do I break it down into a liquid. Obviously I have to compress it, but how do I do so to a pressure of 1200 or so psi to get it into a bottle? Anyone here work at a chemical plant?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

Now get your car running so you can use it.

-Chris
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
Now get your car running so you can use it.

-Chris
Let me borrow Casper to see if it will actually work in a car...
Old 01-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

I think i'll let you test on the Firehawk first then put me inline for the special Steve N20.

-Chris
Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a pump would probbaly compress it.. but how did you do this,and what was the cost and time involved, I doubt it's worth the time and expense you have to go through but i'm curious
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I definately know it wouldnt be worth the time to produce little amounts at a time. The substances needed to make it are dirt cheap. I dont want say what the main ingredient is so I avoid getting in trouble, but all your basically doing is heating up fertilizer.
Basic tools needed are a burner, some beakers, some clear glass tubes and rubber tubing.
Like I said, compressing it to 200 psi wouldnt be a problem, but I think this stuff requires at least 400 psi to be in a liquid state. Like most people know, psi is relative to quantity is a gaseuos state, and a bottle would probably only hold enough gas for one run at 200 psi if jetted correctly.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, at 75 degrees you get 800psi vapor pressure from N2O. I believe if you take what you have in gaseous form and compress it to 800 psi you should be able to get the N2O to condense out into a liquid at that pressure. Or do it at a colder temp, and lower pressure would suffice - ie ~600psi at 50 degrees. I believe that should work.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
I definately know it wouldnt be worth the time to produce little amounts at a time. The substances needed to make it are dirt cheap. I dont want say what the main ingredient is so I avoid getting in trouble, but all your basically doing is heating up fertilizer.
Basic tools needed are a burner, some beakers, some clear glass tubes and rubber tubing.
Like I said, compressing it to 200 psi wouldnt be a problem, but I think this stuff requires at least 400 psi to be in a liquid state. Like most people know, psi is relative to quantity is a gaseuos state, and a bottle would probably only hold enough gas for one run at 200 psi if jetted correctly.
If you can chill it enough, you need to get to about -25F to get it to liquify at 200 psi.

I have a Matheson Tri-Gas book in front of me with the Nitrous Oxide Vapor Pressure vs. Temp chart staring me in the face...I work with compressed gases. I'll see if I can find any on-line chart for you.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Have you been watching Mythbusters. They made some n2o one day.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

As others have already stated, the N2O turns to a liquid when it is compressed.

I took chem. eng. for a couple years before I switched majors so I have a very good idea exactly how and what you used.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

I'd put it in a weather baloon $5 a hit.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont want say what the main ingredient is so I avoid getting in trouble, but all your basically doing is heating up fertilizer.
Ooooo...secret ingredient Knowledge is free in this country
I'm a research chemist, although working on antibiotics each chemist can tell you that Industrial grade nitrogen-rich Fertilizer = Ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3)

So, N2O (Nitrous Oxide) is commonly made by heating ammonium nitrate. This method was developed by the French chemist Claude Louis Berthollet in 1785 and has been widely used ever since. Unfortunately, the method poses a potential explosion risk from overheating ammonium nitrate.

NH4NO3(aq) → N2O(g) + 2H2O(l), ΔH = −36.8 kJ

The addition of various phosphates favors formation of a purer gas. This reaction occurs between 170 - 240°C, temperatures where ammonium nitrate is a moderately sensitive explosive and a very powerful oxidizer (perhaps on the order of fuming nitric acid). At temperatures much above 240 °C the exothermic reaction may run away, perhaps up to the point of detonation. The mixture must be cooled to avoid such a disaster. In practice, the reaction involves a series of tedious adjustments to control the temperature to within a narrow range, which it will not naturally tend to stay in. Professionals have destroyed whole neighborhoods by losing control of such commercial processes. Examples include the Ohio Chemical debacle in Montreal, 1966 and the Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. disaster in Delaware City, Delaware, 1977.

The direct oxidation of ammonia may someday rival the ammonium nitrate pyrolysis synthesis of nitrous oxide mentioned above. This capital-intensive process, which originates in Japan, uses a manganese dioxide-bismuth oxide catalyst. (Suwa et al. 1961; Showa Denka Ltd.)

2NH3 + 2O2 → N2O + 3H2O:

Higher oxides of nitrogen are formed as impurities. Note that uncatalyzed ammonia oxidation (i.e. combustion or explosion) goes primarily to N2 and H2O. The Ostwald process oxidizes ammonia to nitric oxide (NO), using platinum; this is the beginning of the modern synthesis of nitric acid from ammonia (see above).

Nitrous oxide can be made by heating a solution of sulfamic acids and nitric acids. A lot of gas was made this way in Bulgaria (Brozadzhiew & Rettos, 1975).

HNO3 + NH2SO3H → N2O + H2SO4 + H2O:

There is no explosive hazard in this reaction if the mixing rate is controlled. However, as usual, toxic higher oxides of nitrogen form.

Colorless solutions of hydroxylamine hydrochloride and sodium nitrite can also be used to produce N2O.

(NH3OH+Cl-) + NaNO2 → N2O + NaCl + H2O:

If the nitrite is added to the hydroxylamine solution, the gas produced is pure enough for inhalation, and the only remaining byproduct is salt water. However, if the hydroxylamine solution is added to the nitrite solution (nitrite is in excess), then toxic higher oxides of nitrogen form are produced.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

That WAS english.. right?

I'm not going to bark about $4.75 / lb anymore.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

sounds like you could either make N2O or a pretty strong bomb.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lot of work, I guess I'm lucky though, its only $3 a pound where I live.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AdamSS
Ooooo...secret ingredient Knowledge is free in this country
I'm a research chemist, although working on antibiotics each chemist can tell you that Industrial grade nitrogen-rich Fertilizer = Ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3)

So, N2O (Nitrous Oxide) is commonly made by heating ammonium nitrate. This method was developed by the French chemist Claude Louis Berthollet in 1785 and has been widely used ever since. Unfortunately, the method poses a potential explosion risk from overheating ammonium nitrate.

NH4NO3(aq) → N2O(g) + 2H2O(l), ΔH = −36.8 kJ

The addition of various phosphates favors formation of a purer gas. This reaction occurs between 170 - 240°C, temperatures where ammonium nitrate is a moderately sensitive explosive and a very powerful oxidizer (perhaps on the order of fuming nitric acid). At temperatures much above 240 °C the exothermic reaction may run away, perhaps up to the point of detonation. The mixture must be cooled to avoid such a disaster. In practice, the reaction involves a series of tedious adjustments to control the temperature to within a narrow range, which it will not naturally tend to stay in. Professionals have destroyed whole neighborhoods by losing control of such commercial processes. Examples include the Ohio Chemical debacle in Montreal, 1966 and the Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. disaster in Delaware City, Delaware, 1977.

The direct oxidation of ammonia may someday rival the ammonium nitrate pyrolysis synthesis of nitrous oxide mentioned above. This capital-intensive process, which originates in Japan, uses a manganese dioxide-bismuth oxide catalyst. (Suwa et al. 1961; Showa Denka Ltd.)

2NH3 + 2O2 → N2O + 3H2O:

Higher oxides of nitrogen are formed as impurities. Note that uncatalyzed ammonia oxidation (i.e. combustion or explosion) goes primarily to N2 and H2O. The Ostwald process oxidizes ammonia to nitric oxide (NO), using platinum; this is the beginning of the modern synthesis of nitric acid from ammonia (see above).

Nitrous oxide can be made by heating a solution of sulfamic acids and nitric acids. A lot of gas was made this way in Bulgaria (Brozadzhiew & Rettos, 1975).

HNO3 + NH2SO3H → N2O + H2SO4 + H2O:

There is no explosive hazard in this reaction if the mixing rate is controlled. However, as usual, toxic higher oxides of nitrogen form.

Colorless solutions of hydroxylamine hydrochloride and sodium nitrite can also be used to produce N2O.

(NH3OH+Cl-) + NaNO2 → N2O + NaCl + H2O:

If the nitrite is added to the hydroxylamine solution, the gas produced is pure enough for inhalation, and the only remaining byproduct is salt water. However, if the hydroxylamine solution is added to the nitrite solution (nitrite is in excess), then toxic higher oxides of nitrogen form are produced.
I got scared at Oooooo. This is why I buy the pre-mixed stuff.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow what a wealth of information! Did you write this article? Or did you just copy it?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DUH, of course I copied it !

Do you really think I'd remember who in what year wrote it, as it's mentioned in the article ? There is a LOT of misinformation on the internet, and I made sure that equations are balanced before I posted it. Hence I worte, "knowledge is free" - cause it's everywhere...not all of it is correct though... It's important to distingish "fact" from "myth"

EDIT: chemistry makes a lot of sense, but when it comes to purity of your product, limiting reagent is critical, so please do the math before your "experiment" Also, get manufacturer's CoA (Certificate of Analysis) and never assume 100% "as is" reagent. !!!
Remember, in every chemical reaction weight is conserved but not moles...

Last edited by AdamSS; 01-26-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
So I figured out how to make N20 over the weekend, and actually made my first batch. Whether or not it is illegal, immoral, or just plain stupid, I dont give a hoot. This is purely for "scientific" reasons, or basically, just to see if it can be done.
What Im curious to know is, how do I break it down into a liquid. Obviously I have to compress it, but how do I do so to a pressure of 1200 or so psi to get it into a bottle? Anyone here work at a chemical plant?

I'd tell you how to get it into a cylinder in a liquid state but I'm not confident that you could do It safely. I would definatley recomend getting your end product tested before you start putting 1200 psi on it or doing anything else with it. Just plain dangerous even if your a chemist....

If you know someone in the HVAC-R feild pick their brain about how they get liquid refrigerant into and out of an airconditioner.......

You might also wish to be careful if you decide to manufacture nitrous oxide in your basement. Applying heat to solid ammonium nitrate, which is the customary method of preparation, is a bit tricky, and periodically results in explosions. Two shiploads of the stuff blew up once at Texas City, leveling the town. Fortunately, due to the enormous amount of gas released, no one really cared.

Check out -----> http://en.wikipedia.org/ Search for "Condensation" , "Subcool" , "States of Matter"

Be Good!

Last edited by wws699; 01-27-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

If you can tell me how you would go about boiling water at 55F I'll help with another hint.......