Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband controller question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Default Wideband controller question

Well I finally have my HSW dry kit (Sudden Impact), TR6 plugs, and my Dynotune window/TPS switch installed. I am planning on taking my car to a local Dynatech dyno before I start spraying so that I can make sure my air/fuel is good with the different shots. I am not getting a dyno tune, I am just making some runs with the various nitrous shots (75, 100, 125). I am hoping to use the 100 shot on a regular basis.

My question is, do you think I should get a wideband controller w/ gauge to continue to monitor the air/fuel ratios? I do not have any tuning software such as HP Tuners. I would get the wideband controller just to keep an eye on the air/fuel while driving the car. If so are all wideband controllers going to work for this type of setup, or should I get a specific one such as the Innovate LC1? THANKS.
Old 01-25-2007 | 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

BTW I meant Dynojet dyno not Dynatech. I must be working too hard. Is it Friday yet?
Old 01-25-2007 | 03:42 PM
Banned

Once you step into that 100 (+) range, you're going to want to monitor your AFR. The $300 for a LC1 is cheap insurance. The investment in HPtuners (or similar) is well worth it once you start playing around. It gets REAL addicting.. REAL SOON.
Old 01-25-2007 | 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Would it be sufficient to just get the LC1 without getting any tuning software such as HPTuners? Or is it pointless to only monitor AFR in real-time without the ability to log? At this point, I am only planning on using a 100 shot. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007 | 04:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ARCTICWHITE98Z28
Would it be sufficient to just get the LC1 without getting any tuning software such as HPTuners? Or is it pointless to only monitor AFR in real-time without the ability to log? At this point, I am only planning on using a 100 shot. Thanks.
You can log with the LC1 you just have to have it hooked up to a laptop to do it.

Dean
Old 01-25-2007 | 04:53 PM
Banned

That would be like watching ****... you get the idea, and know what you're supposed to do.. but you can't do anything about it!!

- IMHO.. Start with the 50 shot and work your way up. Once you're on a dyno, it will tell you everything you need to know. You're just kinda stuck with the results. Talk to some fbody guys (and Matt) about fuel delivery with 125 shots and over.
Problem is: every car seems to be a little different. Even the 'stock' tune files are different. No one has crystal *****. I had a narrowband afr gauge at first. ($40 on ebay) I got really really close with that (everyone said it wouldn't work). Now I have the LC1 from Dynotune (why theirs?? cuz they give a way free stuff on here) and found that I was SPOT ON. AFR is at 12.2 with the 150 shot. Now I get to start checking my VE tables.
Old 01-25-2007 | 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Dean. I think I will just get the LC1 and use my laptop for logging. I guess I will find out at the dyno shop if I need to do any tuning. Hopefully I will not need to do any further tuning because I don't have the $500 for HP Tuners right now. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007 | 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Todd157k - Maybe I will step over the 125 shot someday. I guess I will consider HP Tuners at that point in time because tuning will most likely be needed. Until then I will just go with whatever shot is in the safe AFR range without tuning. I'm still not sure which wideband controller to get. What is everyone using? Is LC1 the only decent one?Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007 | 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The LC1 and the LM1 are prob the most used. Great stuff.
Robert
Old 01-25-2007 | 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are going to get a wide band take a hard look at an FJO 2 channel. Not cheap but you can select air fuel ratios and if it gets too rich or too lean it will shut the nitrous off. Also since it has a built in window switch and TPS you do not need them seprate. Their tech support is great also.

Watching the guage and logging are great but if it goes lean for some reason it can happen so fast you may never see it on the guage at all and if you do you probably cannot react fast enough to save the motor. If you are data logging and it goes lean you can see it but if the motor is toast it won't save you any $$$.

If it ever saves you one time it will be the cheapest thing you ever bought. It can eliminate the need to go to the dyno when changing jets or adjusting the AFR. You can data log to see what changes you need to make and have the cut off safety net if you make a mistake. I have not spent a penny on dyno time and see no reason for me to do so.

Also if after you leave the dyno there is no guaratee the AFR will not change from time to time. In fact I will guarantee you it will.

Great product. I won't leave home with out it.

Last edited by terry s; 01-25-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2007 | 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Having done an LC-1 I would probably go with an LM-1 next time around.
LC-1 is a tough lil bastard to get right with the grounds, the LM-1 plugs into a lighter and would be way easier to hardwire than the LC-1.

DynoTune likely has both of em in stock.

LOL Todd and I have the tuning bug now.
Nothing like logging your VE in PE making sure you have the right PIDS to nail down that AFR.
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

i highly recommend what they say. i didnt do it and almost paid the price for it. this time round im doing everything right and will be getti nga lc1, hptuners full bolt ons and a cam then a dry shot for ***** and giggles, plus an intake pump and injectors.
Old 01-26-2007 | 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by terry s
Also if after you leave the dyno there is no guaratee the AFR will not change from time to time. In fact I will guarantee you it will.
How would the AFR change after the dyno if I don't do any mods or make any changes to my current setup? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007 | 11:18 AM
Banned

Injectors will vary with age. The sensors get a little "off" with age.. etc. In the industry, it's called PLANNED OBSOLESENCE.
Old 01-26-2007 | 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Injectors will vary with age. The sensors get a little "off" with age.. etc. In the industry, it's called PLANNED OBSOLESENCE.
I see. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007 | 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ARCTICWHITE98Z28
How would the AFR change after the dyno if I don't do any mods or make any changes to my current setup? Just curious. Thanks.
Like Todd said. The fuel pressure can change. Also your nitrous pressure will change which changes the AFR. There may be other variables, but the AFR will change.
Old 01-26-2007 | 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 105
I'm also trying to decide on a controller. Right now I'm leaning towards the FJO 2 channel because of the lean/rich cut off and the included window switch, but I have a couple questions on it. Is the wideband sold seperately and do i need to buy extra software like HPTuners if I want data logging?
The software comes with the wideband. The guage and the 02 sensors are seprate. You can check their website. Data logging capability is included. Also they give free updates if they ever change the software. For example they just added the window switch and TPS features last year. If you had an earlier version they would give you the up date for free.
Old 01-26-2007 | 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

i am interested in this fjo controller but how do i know if i need a 1 channel or 2 channel and what else does this thing do

sorry to hijack but i am curious too
Old 01-26-2007 | 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mushroom281
i am interested in this fjo controller but how do i know if i need a 1 channel or 2 channel and what else does this thing do

sorry to hijack but i am curious too
1 channel has a single wide band 02 sensor - 2 channel has 2 (each bank is monitored) i'd rather have both...
Old 01-26-2007 | 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 105
Cool man, thanks for the info. I saw it on the site and it does pretty much have everything I need as far as logging, window switch, lean/rich cutoff. Where can I get one of these and for how much? The only thing I could find on other sites is the Maximizer. Thats not supposed to be the same thing is it?
I got mine from Nitro Dave @ Nitrous Outlet. Also Gerald @ FJO tech support is great. (FJO makes the Maximizer if you did not know.)