Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous spraying before WOT

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous spraying before WOT

This weekend I decided to double check my nitrous settings by pulling the nitrous line from the airlid and sticking the open end up by my windshield with some tape. I have a Dynotune window/TPS switch. I currently have the switch set for no 1st gear lockout and to come on between 3,000 - 6,000 RPM. It is also configured to use the TPS for the WOT setting.

So I started up my car with the bottle open and then armed the nitrous system. I ran the RPMs up slowly to 3,000 RPM and low and behold it began spraying!!! I then ran through the programming process again for the switch and made sure that I had it at WOT during the step to set the TPS signal. (step 8 I believe). I then started the car again and ran the RPMs up to 3,000 and it sprayed again.

I have already sprayed a few times and no damage appears to have occurred. I believe this is because I made sure the pedal was to the floor when I had the system armed. The last couple of times that I sprayed it seemed to not hit very hard, but I believe that is because the bottle is only about 1/8 full and was at 800 PSI. Would that make it much weaker than a full bottle at the same PSI?

Below is the wiring diagram. As you can see I opted to connect the WOT wire to the TPS wire on the PCM versus using an actual mechanical WOT switch. I just ordered an LS1 WOT switch from HSW so hopefully that fixes the issue. What do you guys think?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

From the picture you have two power sources coming in on #86 relay so the nitrous would activate all the time when you switch your main toggle energizing your relay. When hooking mine up i made my window switch, switch on and off the relays ground with an msd switch; and my switched power went to a WOT switch then from their to your power in on the relay. I don't know if in your case you can make your toggle switch energize your window switch then that could run current to your #86 only. Hopefully others will chime in.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

I also see your relay doesn't have a ground hooked up. I'm curious which wire that is supposed to be on that relay.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

The yellow wire is the ground for that set up. The tps/window switch box will send a ground signal to the relay thus sending power to the noid from the batt. He also doesnt have two power sources coming on the relay, the white wire is the power wire for the tps/window switch box. Its wire that way so that the realy and the box will both have power when its armed.

articwhite...when you set the box did you see a rise in voltage when you set it for your TPS. You should see like 4.6v, that tells the box to only work when it sees 4.6v plus what ever you set it at for the window switch.

I have one of these too and Im having some issues with mine aswell.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
The yellow wire is the ground for that set up. The tps/window switch box will send a ground signal to the relay thus sending power to the noid from the batt. He also doesnt have two power sources coming on the relay, the white wire is the power wire for the tps/window switch box. Its wire that way so that the realy and the box will both have power when its armed.

articwhite...when you set the box did you see a rise in voltage when you set it for your TPS. You should see like 4.6v, that tells the box to only work when it sees 4.6v plus what ever you set it at for the window switch.

I have one of these too and Im having some issues with mine aswell.
So the yellow wire from the window switch should be connected to the relay (85)? Or should it be grounded?

I am not sure what my voltage is reading for the TPS signal. I am at work right now, but I will check it tomorrow morning and let you know.

Any ideas on what is wrong with my setup? Thanks.

Dennis
Old 04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

your wiring is correct...I would check the setting of the TPS portion of the window switch and what activation method you have selected
Old 04-24-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would check where you've got your tach signal coming from, and also make sure the setting on the controller is correct for that pickup. If I recall, a different setting is used taking the signal from the input at the PCM, vs picking up one of the coil packs.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Step 7 needs to be set to 002 if you are using the TPS activation...if you have step 7 set to 003 it will activate anytime the kit is armed and inside the RPM window.
Step 8 needs to read the same voltage as the TPS is seeing for the wire you have tapped into.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
Step 7 needs to be set to 002 if you are using the TPS activation...if you have step 7 set to 003 it will activate anytime the kit is armed and inside the RPM window.
Step 8 needs to read the same voltage as the TPS is seeing for the wire you have tapped into.
Step 7 is set to 002. I am not sure what the voltage is reading at step 8. I will check that and let you know. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

Are you sure you have the correct blue wire to the window switch tps wire? It looks like there're 3 wires on the blue connector that are the same color as the tps wire. Looks like it should be pin12 on http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=55
Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry about the bad info guess i was looking at it wrong
Old 04-24-2007, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AzzHauler
Are you sure you have the correct blue wire to the window switch tps wire? It looks like there're 3 wires on the blue connector that are the same color as the tps wire. Looks like it should be pin12 on http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=55
I did use the pin 12 (dk blue) wire. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

after you arm the system, what does your readout show. It should show 0 0 0. If your first digit is a 1 it is thinking the tps part is on. When you go into set up mode for tps the read out will show what it is seeing.
So to recap if all is set right, slowly increasing your throttle to the start of your window and NOT being at tps trip point. your read out would show 0 1 0.

the first digit is TPS
the second digit is 1st stage, and
the 3rd digit is your 2nd stage.

you see a 0 that feature is off
you see a 1 that feature is ON
you see a L that feature is in Lock out. this one only applies to the 2nd and 3rd digit.

hope this helps.

Ricky
Old 04-24-2007, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pddye
Sorry about the bad info guess i was looking at it wrong
No problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
after you arm the system, what does your readout show. It should show 0 0 0. If your first digit is a 1 it is thinking the tps part is on. When you go into set up mode for tps the read out will show what it is seeing.
So to recap if all is set right, slowly increasing your throttle to the start of your window and NOT being at tps trip point. your read out would show 0 1 0.

the first digit is TPS
the second digit is 1st stage, and
the 3rd digit is your 2nd stage.

you see a 0 that feature is off
you see a 1 that feature is ON
you see a L that feature is in Lock out. this one only applies to the 2nd and 3rd digit.

hope this helps.

Ricky
After I arm the system the readout shows 0 0 0. I will have to check what it reads when slowly increasing the throttle to the start of the window and NOT being at tps trip point. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Make sure you are on the corret TPS wire as well.

Quick Reply: Nitrous spraying before WOT