Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limit of Nitrous on stock Aluminum Block

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limit of Nitrous on stock Aluminum Block

...i have a question .. whats the most amount of nitrous a stock ls1 aluminum block will handle ... it will have rods and pistons with stock crank ...

the question is whats the limit of the aluminum block it self... what kind of damage will occur if a 300 shot is used on a motor making somewere between 430-450rwhp...the pistons will be custom nitrous only .

if the aluminum block will not hadle the juice what other options do i have to builda 346 with stock lenght rods and bore..

i need the help as soon as possible...trying to get the internals done on my project as soon as possible.. thanks to all in advance ..
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

i personaly reckon it will take 300 on standard factory engine-so on a well built forged+rod combo -no worries

but the real ? is the head work or efficent to take 300 hp worth of n20

cyclinder pressure is the key-not to much and not to small-

i am a strong beliver of valve-train effiency-not forced it in if it cant use it-

300 hp at a worst of 30% drivetrain lost equals 210 bhp gain-

30% is the worst case

do a search on this topic- i am new here and i have seen this topic somewhere before-

if the cyclinder heads are not up to the task u are wasting money everytime u use it-
Old 07-04-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

you cant really say how much can it hold. everything can be a factor in this. like the above posted, heads are going to be a huge factor. i think with a 300 you should be ok but honestly you should be talking to a speed shop about this. or call a nitrous place. good luck
Old 07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

... the heads will be tsp 2.5 5.3L....with a ms4 cam ..

i have Talkd to a few shops .but everyone is telling me a few different things... so wow im a lil confused.....

when and if i go ahead and squeeze that size of shot it will be only on 116 oct race gas and on a wideband all the time ...

whats everyone think? will it handle it .. is any one doing it ?

and if it wont handle it what kind of block will hold that presure .. what kind of damgae will the stock aluminum block recieve ??
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

I think the heads lifting is your biggest worrie, with the ls1. make sure you got just water in cooling system.
116 is a must -a little insurance imo
Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by streetvet
I think the heads lifting is your biggest worrie, with the ls1. make sure you got just water in cooling system.
116 is a must -a little insurance imo

100%

cyclinder pressure is the enemy -good cyclinder pressure is good-too much= lifting-

cyclinder head is a must-

u got the octane level covered if u running that octane-

block will be fine-but funny things happens when cyclinder heads and engine short's don't get along-

best to speak to 1.nitrous outlet 2.head person 3.whoever is doing the short or long motor-

nitrous is cheap and works at its best if everything get's along-if not it's your worst freind-

i am from australia and its hard to get some of the parts u guys have at your finger tips-use it to your advantage-
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

well i was gonn upgrade the head bolts also... but i guessits a must now huh ... well is there any methods poeple use to preven head lifting ..??

god i wish i could just type in a question in a lil line and get an exact suuuper accurate response from god.... cause of course thats probably his engine of choice also =) ha ha LOL...
Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSx007
well i was gonn upgrade the head bolts also... but i guessits a must now huh ... well is there any methods poeple use to preven head lifting ..??

god i wish i could just type in a question in a lil line and get an exact suuuper accurate response from god.... cause of course thats probably his engine of choice also =) ha ha LOL...

simple-get a good short combo sorted out and killer heads that will work with the amount of n20-

i am in the process of getting a 440 from lme-so it should really be easy for u as u are already in the us-

pick-up the phone and start ringing-
Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Its all going to depend on the tune-up. You can have 150 on it, and kill it just like you could if it had 300 on it. All depends on how good you are with nitrous. Just be sure to gap the rings accordingly. That is going to be a major factor here.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

another thing... with a 300 shot, why would you use the ms4???? you shuld look into a different cam that is made for nitrous. just my 2 cents
Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transamfreak01
another thing... with a 300 shot, why would you use the ms4???? you shuld look into a different cam that is made for nitrous. just my 2 cents

I thought a cam that had a decent exhaust duration was good for nitrous either way? i dont know tons, but if you were setting up a car, wouldnt you choose a cam that you wanted, and then just have nitrous as a kicker? or will the car only be at the track? in that case i guess i would go with a "nitrous cam".
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

well like i said most of the spray will be on the track ... the car dosent weight much and with that much power im sure traction in any gear will be a problem .. the ms4 will handle the nitrous and will make good power when off the bottle .. nitrous will only be used at the track and on the second stage .. it will most likely have a 2 stage 150 shot ... second for the track and first for the streets....

im trying to make a good amount of power on motor only . around 450rwhp ... and the rest on nitrous.... it might take a while before the nos reaches the 300 mark but thats the total goal for the engine .. for now..... =)
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the limit is the fuel system and your heads lifting and a good tune. The crank ,rods with aftermarket bolts and block are not your limited factor. A stand alone fuel system is going to be a must
Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
A stand alone fuel system is going to be a must
yup
Old 07-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

whats the kind of fueling ima need?

size injectors ? pumps?
i have a 255 walbro in tank already .. but i was thinking of getting a twin in tank pump set up ... and maybe 50lbs injectors ...think there enough ?
will i need more ??fuel lines in line pump .. regulator ?

does anyone have a sure way to prevent the heads lifting at the size of shot ??
Old 07-06-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

whats the kind of fueling ima need?

size injectors ? pumps?
i have a 255 walbro in tank already .. but i was thinking of getting a twin in tank pump set up ... and maybe 50lbs injectors ...think there enough ?
will i need more ??fuel lines in line pump .. regulator ?

does anyone have a sure way to prevent the heads lifting at the size of shot ??
going by my set-up-walbro 700 hp intank pump-36 pound injectors and i get 550 bhp. on a wet 175 spray-

duty cycle is 65 percent-

so to be safe for u on your spray level-get 42 pound injectors-some bigger fuel lines+regulator-yes and no but u never know what the future holds so a reg is okay

get good heads+killer gaskets+arp head-studs-like i have been saying keep the cyclinder head pressures down and u will be good-

like stated before the heads is the main issue here-so dont worry about the other parts u can get at a click of your fingers-

my next engine is a lsx 440 and the builder reckons etp make killer heads so maybe try them if the money is the problem-

the aim of the game is make the engine eat what u are giving it-
Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

well i was planing on getting TSP 2.5 5.3L milled heads and a cometic set of head gaskets .. and arp head studs.. think they will hold up to the juice ?

the fueling will be looked at when i get the engine runing and start spraying in small amount increments to see what kind of feuling requirementswill be needed ......

what else am i missing any other methods are people using to acomplish my goals ??
Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

I used a 300 rwhp shot on mine along time ago and it would lift the heads with MLS gaskets and arp studs. I assume the block was distorting alittle. Made 695 rwhp pushing alittle water!!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i was planing on getting TSP 2.5 5.3L milled heads and a cometic set of head gaskets .. and arp head studs.. think they will hold up to the juice ?

the fueling will be looked at when i get the engine runing and start spraying in small amount increments to see what kind of feuling requirementswill be needed ......

what else am i missing any other methods are people using to acomplish my goals ??
LSx007, get the ARP l19 head studs, 40% more clamping force than standard arp studs, they cost, but it's really your only chance of living a long life. Do a search of threads started by Robert56, and you find the thread on my built short block. This can give you an idea of what your looking at if you really are going to spray 300 and live for any time. Some of the info given is somewhat correct, but sometimes out of context, and some a little missleading. I would do my home work in order to get the facts of the matter. Read, read, read and then read some more. You'll find all the info you need if you research a little bit. To answer all your questions in one post would be overwhelming. Knowledge is power, in more ways that one. Good luck on your venture, as I am sure you'll get a good combo that works for your needs.
Robert
Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

thankf robert.. i have been reading and reading ... and i got a good clue of the parts im going to need ... justa a few more questions and a few good answer and ill have most of the info i need .. thanks to those helping out ..

iwill get those arp head studs .. i think there worth the cost .anything that could prevent a catastrophy is worth it in my book ...
any other info people running lots of nitrous have that i could use ???

Quick Reply: Limit of Nitrous on stock Aluminum Block