Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno #'s w/HSW 150 wet... runs RICH. Re-jet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno #'s w/HSW 150 wet... runs RICH. Re-jet?

Hey all-

Hate to say this, but I posted this over at "another site" and didn't get much of a reply... hopefully you guys can help out!

Went to the dyno yesterday... 101* and 52% humidity...

My NA pull made 316hp 323tq. The A/F ratio is a little fat, but its a nice flat line and the car ran well there - any leaner and it looses power.

My N2O pull made 394hp 486tq... you'll notice no A/F chart on this sheet... because it ran SUPER fat. So fat indeed that the moment the nitrous hit, the A/F #'s fell below 10 and the machine couldn't chart them! With 150HP jets installed, I only increased 78HP and 163TQ.

Bottle pressure was at 1000psi and it was 101*F in the dyno building.

With the increased bottle pressure, I'd expect to see it a little lean... not so damn rich that it bogs down the car when the n2o hits (still strong, but I'm leaving 20-30hp on the table I'd bet.)

I need to jet the fuel down a bit since the A/F is linear and fairly close to correct NA... but falls thru the floor and goes FAT on the juice. Question is, how far do I go? I'm currently running n20=.062 fuel=.034. Wish I could have re-jetted it on the dyno, but that wasn't an option unfortunately. I still dont have a wideband either.

Here's some vid of the dyno time:

NA pull vid:
http://media.putfile.com/NA-Dyno-Pull---AFM-Aug-07

N2O pull vid (listen for the bog right when the window switch goes on):
http://media.putfile.com/NA-Dyno-Pull-AFM-Aug-07

-Eagle
Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

I just tried to open the graphs but didn't see a A/F curve. Double check the jets that are installed, N20=.062 Fuel=.034 should be around 11.9 to 12.2, I have never seen that jet combo run that rich. the missing HP is tied up in the rich A/F ratio.

Matt

Originally Posted by Eagle02
Hey all-

Hate to say this, but I posted this over at "another site" and didn't get much of a reply... hopefully you guys can help out!

Went to the dyno yesterday... 101* and 52% humidity...

My NA pull made 316hp 323tq. The A/F ratio is a little fat, but its a nice flat line and the car ran well there - any leaner and it looses power.

My N2O pull made 394hp 486tq... you'll notice no A/F chart on this sheet... because it ran SUPER fat. So fat indeed that the moment the nitrous hit, the A/F #'s fell below 10 and the machine couldn't chart them! With 150HP jets installed, I only increased 78HP and 163TQ.

Bottle pressure was at 1000psi and it was 101*F in the dyno building.

With the increased bottle pressure, I'd expect to see it a little lean... not so damn rich that it bogs down the car when the n2o hits (still strong, but I'm leaving 20-30hp on the table I'd bet.)

I need to jet the fuel down a bit since the A/F is linear and fairly close to correct NA... but falls thru the floor and goes FAT on the juice. Question is, how far do I go? I'm currently running n20=.062 fuel=.034. Wish I could have re-jetted it on the dyno, but that wasn't an option unfortunately. I still dont have a wideband either.

Here's some vid of the dyno time:

NA pull vid:
http://media.putfile.com/NA-Dyno-Pull---AFM-Aug-07

N2O pull vid (listen for the bog right when the window switch goes on):
http://media.putfile.com/NA-Dyno-Pull-AFM-Aug-07

-Eagle
Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
I just tried to open the graphs but didn't see a A/F curve. Double check the jets that are installed, N20=.062 Fuel=.034 should be around 11.9 to 12.2, I have never seen that jet combo run that rich. the missing HP is tied up in the rich A/F ratio.

Matt
Thanks for the reply, Matt!

Yeah, there is no curve on the N2O graph because it was flat lined at <10 the entire pull... the guy @ the dyno didn't bother to add it to the graph because it didn't even draw a line on the graph like the NA pull did...

I pulled the jets on Sunday, checked them - and sure enough they are .062 and .034 as the jetting card specified. With my pressure at 1000 psi - I didn't expect to be rich rather lean - which didn't happen.

I really need to get a wideband to hook into my HPT Pro box, so I can just scan true a/f at any given time I guess...

Could the 101*F temps in the shop caused it to fatten up for some reason?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:52 PM
FormerVendor

No, the air temp wouldn't have anything to do with the A/F on nitrous. You didn't by chance run any of the other size shots did you? I would have to say since the jetting has been verified that there is some kind of obstruction in the nitrous path. Basically the correct amount of fuel is being added but not enough nitrous, therefore allowing the A/F to go rich. There could be trash on the screen of the nitrous solenoid not allowing enough nitrous to pass, or something caught in one of the nitrous hoses. We know some nitrous is making it out as you are picking up power; I would start at the screen and work back from there.

Matt

Originally Posted by Eagle02
Thanks for the reply, Matt!

Yeah, there is no curve on the N2O graph because it was flat lined at <10 the entire pull... the guy @ the dyno didn't bother to add it to the graph because it didn't even draw a line on the graph like the NA pull did...

I pulled the jets on Sunday, checked them - and sure enough they are .062 and .034 as the jetting card specified. With my pressure at 1000 psi - I didn't expect to be rich rather lean - which didn't happen.

I really need to get a wideband to hook into my HPT Pro box, so I can just scan true a/f at any given time I guess...

Could the 101*F temps in the shop caused it to fatten up for some reason?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Does the car have an after-market MAF installed?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TwistedSS
i think i know were your going with that but its a wet kit so it wouldn't matter
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwistedSS
Stock MAF installed, the screen is intact too. I just ran some MAF cleaner through it too very recently...

I have thought the same thing Matt, and have pulled the line off the solenoid and purged a bit through... its a strong blast... but for whatever reason, I did not check the screen on the solenoid... I'll head out to the garage right after dinner and tear it down again and see what I can find.

Thanks for the additional thoughts fellas, keep them coming!

-Eagle
Old 08-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Ouch..I thought mine was bad making 120rwhp on a 150 shot because of being too rich.

I would just lower the fuel jet, but maybe that's just me. Mine was too rich so I'm going from a .024 to a .0225(dual nozzle HSW kit).
Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Im not telling you to do this without a wideband but I had to go 3 jet sizes down on fuel side to achieve a 10.8afr with a duel nozzle 150shot