Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me outsmart the welding shop!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help me outsmart the welding shop!

I just recently bought a HSW wet nitrous kit for my LT1. The closest places for me to fill up the bottle are both an hour and a half away, both in different cities. So this leads me to my problem...I found a local "speed shop" (and I use the term loosely) that will fill it up for $4.50 a pound. But it is a rundown $hitty looking shop so I really don't trust them filling it up. I mean I don't know if they even have the right equipment to do it correctly since I have never had nitrous before! Plus the owner showed me his knowledge by showing me his "race car" for next season, it was a LT1 Firebird Formula and he called it a Camaro.

There is also a welding shop here and they carry medical grade nitrous but they said it was different than the one for my car. I tried to explain to them the only difference was the sulfur in the automotive type because you could buy it without a license so they add miniscule amounts of sulfur to keep kids from huffing it. Not to mention this place is wwwaaayyy cleaner then the previous local shop. Anyway I'm hoping to get them to start filling up my bottles if I can convince them its the same nitrous and if they have the correct equipment to fill up my bottle. What should I do? I'm thinking to call up a rep for a nitrous company so they can ask themselves. Also what should I be looking for when they fill up the bottle? They deal with ALL gases in bottles so its not just welding stuff. Should they already have the equipment for filling up or is there something special for a nitrous bottle?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your bottle isn't rated for medical so they won't fill it.

A lot of tracks will fill your bottle up on site.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^damn!!! what tracks are you going to!?!?! lol i'd wish they had service like that out here in cali
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

There are alot of tracks out there that can fill. I think the best thing the OP can do is rent a bottle for the year, and order nytrus+. It doesn't take anything really special to do a hot/cold fill other than a line and a scale.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you planning on something similar up here jmill?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

bring a digital scale to the "speed shop" 10lb bottle should start around 16 pounds and end at 26. he should have a fill station/pump assembly
Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XLR8N
Are you planning on something similar up here jmill?
Why yes I am
Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that there's no real difference in medical grade nitrous vs what we generally use, but the liability of possible drug use is what will keep you from being able to have your bottle filled. Believe me, I work at a doctor's office and we have the stuff for freezing off warts and the such. I've never even thought of taking any of it due to the serious consequences of having medical grade nitrous without the proper documentation. You wouldn't run around with ten pounds of weed in the back of your car..... Even if you could talk them into filling your bottle (unlikely) don't risk it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Well it looks like I'm gonna have to make the trip to shops an hour away. I'd rather not have the local place do it because I don't want to risk them filling my bottle with crap and it clogs my solenoid and sticks open.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
hashtagBMW

Run a nitrous filter.

Now you can go to that shop with your scale and make sure you get a full fill.

Or save up for a refill station and go rent a mother bottle from Norco and fill your own stuff
Old 12-29-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 cut out the middle man and just fill it yourself . i mean if you got to go that far to fill up hell you could make some money filling up everybody elses .

Quick Reply: Help me outsmart the welding shop!