Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Hesitation Between Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Hesitation Between Shifts

H/C/I on 99 FRC w 150 - 175 shot wet thru a plate+NitroDaves TPS and a MSD window switch .generally run between 900psi and 1000 psi. Problem is hesitation off/on the spray transition... hits pretty hard off the line but 1-2 shift.. 2-3 shift..3-4 shift all has a long hesitation between nitrous shutting off during the throttle lift to shift and back to full throttle.. like a little less than a second delay between WOT and actually feeling the hit.. thought the plate would eliminate some of this vs the old nozzle setup.. but its still very distinct.. im planning to move solenoids closer to plate and use 12 inch lines from solenoids to plate eliminating the 24 inch lines from solenoids to plate in place now.. any other suggestions? shitting TPS signal? Any other specific wiring to check?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. I'm sure it was the lines. They send lines that are so damn long. The shorter ones should fix your problem I'd assume. I will be running as short as lines as possible to my plate. With the solinoids mounted on top of the fast, I'd assume 6-8"... Good luck!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I had hesitation issues with my old kit and decided to bypass the MSD digital window switch to first see if that was it. Sure enough, kit hit hard and was fine after that. My car was an auto though, so I got by just fine without it.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Have a few questions:
What do you have the window switch set at?
What are you shifting at?
Are you lifting to shift or a full power shift?

All of these will vary the delay. I have zero delay as my kit never shuts off from launch to finish line. 3500 stall, 3000 on, 7000 off, 7200 rev limiter, 6800 shift point, my foot never leaves the floor board.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 6 speed the line length of the fuel side will cause some nasty lean spikes, but hesitation, shouldn't. The nitrous side because of the pressure can be quite long and still hit in micro sec, and thus the normal lean spike from fuel being later. Unless you have your on rpm set real high your MSD should be fine, because shifting you should be dropping to about 4500rpm, so should come back on instantly. Logging I have seen less than .065 shifting time, so it should seem to be a continues hit down the track, and I do also lift on each shift (to keep tq from blowing parts). I would try a WOT SW in place of the TPS. Myself, and this is just my opinion, try to avoid the TPS stuff as it's just one more thing in line that can go wrong, and the wot SW seems much more reliable and trouble free. Check for loose or bad grounds, jump all grounds to the battery and see if it goes away. Run a WB if ya have one, for insight and safety if nothing else.
Robert
Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
Have a few questions:
What do you have the window switch set at?
What are you shifting at?
Are you lifting to shift or a full power shift?

All of these will vary the delay. I have zero delay as my kit never shuts off from launch to finish line. 3500 stall, 3000 on, 7000 off, 7200 rev limiter, 6800 shift point, my foot never leaves the floor board.
On @ 3000 off @ 6000 ..shift @ bout 6100-6200..lifting to shift
Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

My thoughts exactly..the delay is around a second or so.. i've logged and will address any spikes with lengths of line

Originally Posted by Robert56
On a 6 speed the line length of the fuel side will cause some nasty lean spikes, but hesitation, shouldn't. The nitrous side because of the pressure can be quite long and still hit in micro sec, and thus the normal lean spike from fuel being later.
Robert
Old 12-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by Dr.Accumulator
On @ 3000 off @ 6000 ..shift @ bout 6100-6200..lifting to shift

sounds like you have a few things going on....

1) your kit shuts off @ 6
2) you shift @ 6200
3) full lift on shifts
4) drive by wire TB blade delay compared to pedal location.

For a M6 I would set the off point to the shift point or higher....if you are lifting to shift you will not be spraying through the new gear engagement.

When mine was still a T56 I used the nitrous off point as a "shift light"....
Old 12-31-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
sounds like you have a few things going on....

1) your kit shuts off @ 6
2) you shift @ 6200
3) full lift on shifts
4) drive by wire TB blade delay compared to pedal location.

For a M6 I would set the off point to the shift point or higher....if you are lifting to shift you will not be spraying through the new gear engagement.

When mine was still a T56 I used the nitrous off point as a "shift light"....
^ Top notch customer service! Thanks again for pin pointing the problem!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

glad we got it figured out

Quick Reply: Nitrous Hesitation Between Shifts