Notices
Non-Automotive Classifieds Sell almost anything here, with the exception of firearms and ammo

Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27 LAPTOP (CHEAP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27 LAPTOP (CHEAP)

This laptop worked great up until today....

I'll give you the specs.. and then the symptoms...

Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27
Hard Drive Capacity: 40 GB
Chip Type: Intel Pentium 4
Screen Size: 15 inches
Model: Operating System Included: Yes
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD-Burner Combo
Memory (RAM): 512 MB

Today.. the computer started to give me the blue screen of death. I tried using the XP Pro disk to format and reinstall the operating system, but I continue to get that blue screen. You comp experts may be able to easily figure this out. I'm done with it, and someone will get a great deal on a great laptop... The battery holds a charge with no problem.

$400 shipped and it's yours. I'll even include a Targus carrying case. There is nothing physically wrong with this come. Just the issues that I started having today.

I'll try and answer any questions that you may have.

Asking $400 shipped...

Old 11-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sending Pm
Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Teching In

pm sent
Old 11-29-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

So far there are 2 people interested.

Order:
ArticGMC
My98Z

If ArticGMC doesn't take it, its yours My98Z.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Sold...
Old 11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

It's just a bad hard drive. You could replace for under 100$ yourself... they plug in just like a battery.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6shifter
It's just a bad hard drive. You could replace for under 100$ yourself... they plug in just like a battery.
thats more then just a hard drive problem, i would say video card memory or system memory
Old 11-29-2004, 10:51 PM

no its a hard drive, most likely can be fixed with just reinstalling windows, its most likely a driver but could have damaged the HD... had the same problem with my desktop... it could also be a dll file and XP is making it screw up...
Old 11-30-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
no its a hard drive, most likely can be fixed with just reinstalling windows, its most likely a driver but could have damaged the HD... had the same problem with my desktop... it could also be a dll file and XP is making it screw up...
Yes a missing or corrupt dll or bad hard drive could cause a dump like that but what about the video corruption on the screen?

These Vaio’s are known for video problem... I should know I have three of them and work on them all the time. ATI IGP are known to fail, Look at the 1st picture again and tell me why there are odd little lines all over the screen?

I’m not trying to start a fight and maybe you’re on the design team for Sony but I know a bad video card when I see one. The only other thing it could be is the LCD controller is having problems. YES THE HARDDRIVE IS BAD but we can’t tell anything about it until some diagnostic test are ran on the hard drive and other components. I just have a feeling its a little more then just a HD. I did not buy it and I would not buy it, I’m just trying to watch out for other people.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Why does it matter?? I am the one that bought the notebook. Are yall trying to stop him from selling it to me?? Money has been sent and he posted that it was sold.

Yes, it could be any of what yall have stated. I hope to have it in my hands soon so I can find out.

Dissonance-- Have you ever tried to take a picture of a TV or a monitor while it was on. If the camera is not set right you will get a picture of the screen refreshing which looks just like that.

Larry
Old 11-30-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArticGMC
Why does it matter?? I am the one that bought the notebook. Are yall trying to stop him from selling it to me?? Money has been sent and he posted that it was sold.

Yes, it could be any of what yall have stated. I hope to have it in my hands soon so I can find out.

Dissonance-- Have you ever tried to take a picture of a TV or a monitor while it was on. If the camera is not set right you will get a picture of the screen refreshing which looks just like that.

Larry
I'll email you the tracking number this evening...
Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ArticGMC

Larry
Your talking about refresh rate of the monitor 60 Hz etc. "CRT" the lines on his picture are not sync lines, anyways LCD monitors are unaffected by this.

The lines you see on a TV are from the picture redrawing it’s self over and over again refresh HZ, if your camera is slow or faster you will be able to see the lines… the lines do not go side to side like the picture of the laptop screen they go down the screen and depending on the HZ you might see one line slowly or what looks like a large numbers of lines but is really only one line over and over gain just faster.

Again I’m just looking out for people, Buy and Seller

Z28Venom,
Do these show up only when taking a picture or did they show before the picture was taken? Do they also show when the computer is posting? Bios screen? Viao logo?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dissonance
Your talking about refresh rate of the monitor 60 Hz etc. "CRT" the lines on his picture are not sync lines, anyways LCD monitors are unaffected by this.

The lines you see on a TV are from the picture redrawing it’s self over and over again refresh HZ, if your camera is slow or faster you will be able to see the lines… the lines do not go side to side like the picture of the laptop screen they go down the screen and depending on the HZ you might see one line slowly or what looks like a large numbers of lines but is really only one line over and over gain just faster.

Again I’m just looking out for people, Buy and Seller

Z28Venom,
Do these show up only when taking a picture or did they show before the picture was taken? Do they also show when the computer is posting? Bios screen? Viao logo?
When I took that pic.. it was the first time that I'd ever seen those lines on the screen. They were never there before..
Old 12-01-2004, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

The machine is fairly new and should be under warranty. Your best bet is to try and get Sony to warranty it. If the hard drive is bad then its obviously not the only problem. Just by the picture you can see that the video portion of the main board is bad. The problem with laptop is that everything is integrated on one main board so if a portion is bad then you have to replace the whole thing. VERY DIFFICULT even IF you could get the part(s). It's not worth much if you can't get it fixed under warranty even if the hard drive is ok. If you can't get it fixed under warranty then part it out and get what you can out of it. You can sell the CD drive, hard drive (if ok), power adapter, RAM module (if removable), etc. But really try hard to get Sony to fix it. That's your best bet. Let us know how it goes. Maybe you can get it fixed, sell it and make a little off the deal. But do it quickly because these things lose their value real quick. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tekprodave
The machine is fairly new and should be under warranty. Your best bet is to try and get Sony to warranty it. If the hard drive is bad then its obviously not the only problem. Just by the picture you can see that the video portion of the main board is bad. The problem with laptop is that everything is integrated on one main board so if a portion is bad then you have to replace the whole thing. VERY DIFFICULT even IF you could get the part(s). It's not worth much if you can't get it fixed under warranty even if the hard drive is ok. If you can't get it fixed under warranty then part it out and get what you can out of it. You can sell the CD drive, hard drive (if ok), power adapter, RAM module (if removable), etc. But really try hard to get Sony to fix it. That's your best bet. Let us know how it goes. Maybe you can get it fixed, sell it and make a little off the deal. But do it quickly because these things lose their value real quick. Good luck.
Alright..
The comp is already sold..

Its not under warranty anymore. This specific unit actually has a seperate video card. It can be swapped out if that is the problem. The buyer knows that the comp has issues, and obviously believes he can fix it. I'm not trying to get over on anyone here.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
This specific unit actually has a seperate video card. It can be swapped out if that is the problem.
Can you substantiate this claim? I don't believe this is true. And If it can be swapped out then where can the part be purchased. I couldn't find it anywhere.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

IGP = Integrated Graphic Processor
This mean the GPU in integrated in to the chipset of the notebook… ATI did this because they are reducing production cost for laptop manufactures and pushing a new product to the market.

How does this reduce cost? Only one die is made and houses the I/O controller and video controller. So in stead of making two chips and taking up more space inside the laptop they reduce the size by adding the two together. Intel, AMD, SiS, NVIDIA, ATI and many more have done it.

Now that PCI Express mobile has been released all of this is changing, but is only offered in a limited number of notebooks at this time.

Sony has a 1 year standard warranty on notebooks.

The Seller clearly stated the laptop had problems and took pictures that clearly showed the problems… I don’t think the seller is in the wrong and as the seller said the buyer knows the laptop has problem and feels he can fix them…
Old 12-02-2004, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Well the seller did disclose the issues and may have misrepresented some things out of ignorance which is ok. But I am finding it hard to believe that he had issues and decided to sell it the same day. Most people try to fix a PC for weeks or even months before giving up on it and taking a big loss. I also don't think the buyer is fully aware of what he's getting into. I'll try to help but it doesn't look good. It seems like it may not be worth fixing and out of warranty.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tekprodave
Well the seller did disclose the issues and may have misrepresented some things out of ignorance which is ok. But I am finding it hard to believe that he had issues and decided to sell it the same day. Most people try to fix a PC for weeks or even months before giving up on it and taking a big loss. I also don't think the buyer is fully aware of what he's getting into. I'll try to help but it doesn't look good. It seems like it may not be worth fixing and out of warranty.
Dude.. let it go..
The PC started acting screwy on Sunday, Nov. 28. I'm in the military and getting ready to transfer. I don't have the time to put this thing in the shop and hope they can figure out what the deal is with it. Nor do I feel like dumping cash into something that I wouldn't really use as much anymore. I mainly used it for surfing the the net and watching DVDs.. Since I can't surf the internet on US Navy ship (no access for personal pcs). I just said to hell with it.. sold the laptop and bought a portable dvd... Are there any other questions that you'd like for me to answer for you.

The laptop has been sold. It clearly has issues from the pictures and description.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

OK, It's all good bro. I hope the buyer can get some value out of it. No skin off my back. I was just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Sony Vaio PCG-FRV27 LAPTOP (CHEAP)