Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

the big three bailout....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default the big three bailout....

http://www.buffalobeast.com/133/bigthree.jpg

I couldn't get the img tags to worl on my blackberry.

Last edited by KrautBurner; 12-10-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: link the img
Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats funny ****!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Teching In

It might be funny if it wasn't so pathetic and inaccurate. Frankly I'm tired of all this bailout BS and even more tired of watching the big three dragged through the mud with glee from every corner of government, the media and most alarmingly to me the public.

The imports must be delighted to sit back and watch this all play out knowing full well that the with respect to the product they put out versus what the domestics puts out they are no better and in many cases worse off.

If this spiel is seen as unnecessary in this thread then please ignore it. 15+ years of having the wonders of imports shoved down my throat and the recent mob mentality towards the very foundation of what is left of American manufacturing (read not assembly) makes me just a little angry.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so why dont we tell gm to get their biggist engine assembily plant out of mexico, and back in america. if they stopped importing and started exporting they would make more money.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

I say let them declare bankruptcy. It worked for the airlines and they are better than ever. Some failed and the strong survived. I cannot, in my wildest imagination, believe that they think that congress will do a better job of overseeing any restructuring when congress cannot oversee **** without smelling the place up.

I’m sorry if this offends some of my friends here, but I have to say it.

The problem with US automakers is the UAW – pure and simple.

Bankruptcy could break the UAW grip and maybe allow the big 3 to survive. Congress can’t possibly do it because the Democrats are addicted to union $$$.

!

Last edited by NWDragRacer; 12-11-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: moved a comma
Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer

I say let them declare bankruptcy. It worked for the airlines and they are better than ever. Some failed and the strong survived. I cannot, in my wildest imagination, believe that they think that congress will do a better job of overseeing any restructuring when congress cannot oversee **** without smelling the place up.

I’m sorry if this offends some of my friends here, but I have to say it.

The problem with US automakers is the UAW – pure and simple.

Bankruptcy could break the UAW grip and maybe allow the big 3 to survive. Congress can’t possibly do it because the Democrats are addicted to union $$$.

!
most unions are trash, IE: The teachers union and UAW. So +1
Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NW94Z
The imports must be delighted to sit back and watch this all play out knowing full well that the with respect to the product they put out versus what the domestics puts out they are no better and in many cases worse off.
I agree with you that in general import quality is not any better than domestic.

but, then again, what's domestic? and what's an import?

My Pontiac GTO came to the US by ship
my buddies subaru (toyota, mazda, ect..) were all built here in the US
Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 AM
Launching!

I was watching The Tonight Show with Leno a lil while ago, he had Wanda Sykes on there and she said the big three shouldnt be bailed out due to them making bad vehicles etc. So Jay asks what she drove and she said a Lexus SUV, and he's like "Well I'll race you in my corvette and we'll see who wins" made me chuckle.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KrautBurner
I agree with you that in general import quality is not any better than domestic.

but, then again, what's domestic? and what's an import?

My Pontiac GTO came to the US by ship
my buddies subaru (toyota, mazda, ect..) were all built here in the US
Russ take a look where the money goes. Don't ******* get me started on this again...
Toyota has 8 plants in the US, they sure as **** don't make everything they sell here, here.
Honda has has 5 they to ******* suck
Nissan 1 ******* plant whoop de ******* do.
Hyundai 1 ******* plant whoop de ******* do.
Subarun 1 ******* plant whoop de ******* do.
BMW 1 ******* plant whoop de ******* do.
Mazda has one 1 ******* plant big whoop de do.
I think your buddies need to check their VINs again.

GM by itself has 24 plants in the US alone VS 18 for the import companies making cars here. That doesn't include Ford or Mopar.
I am not impressed.

The import companies employ right around 118,000 employees in their factories.
The big three employ 239,000 in there factories.

GM employees more then 3xs the amount of people in RD in the states then Honda and Toyota combined

Shall I continue? I think I ******* will.

Honda and Toyota still import most of the items they need to assemble the cars here and they still import over 60 percent of the assembled cars here.

Just look at the ports filling now with useless ******* imports.

The Media is a bunch of dumb liberal america sucks ******** who don't know a ******* thing about cars except they like to bash American ones.

If one more stupid god damn mother ****** tells me that there Honduh, Turdyota or the like is American. I will end up in jail.

I love Jay Leno.

If you walk outside this morning and see an import name plate car in your driveway that you bought, do me a ******* favor keep right on walking to the airport get on a ******* plane and leave.

Have a good day.

Last edited by My1st Truck; 12-11-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NW94Z
It might be funny if it wasn't so pathetic and inaccurate. Frankly I'm tired of all this bailout BS and even more tired of watching the big three dragged through the mud with glee from every corner of government, the media and most alarmingly to me the public.

If this spiel is seen as unnecessary in this thread then please ignore it. 15+ years of having the wonders of imports shoved down my throat and the recent mob mentality towards the very foundation of what is left of American manufacturing (read not assembly) makes me just a little angry.
Not unnecessary at all, just read mine.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Don't forget bringing the pay scales of the CEOs in line with reality Don.

And eliminating the tax breaks to corporate America for every job they outsource.

And stopping the oil price gouging WHOEVER is doing it.

Then maybe it would be better.

Only problem is by then they all be out of business....and that would be a VERY BAD thing for our country.

Sadly I think we have no choice but to save them at this point. Just like Wall St. It sucks, but the outcome of doing nothing would be much worse for ALL of us.

I say pull out of F-ing Iraq & invest that $10B a month in OUR country.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Don't forget bringing the pay scales of the CEOs in line with reality Don.
Who do you think sets those saleries? Its the boards of those companies that have to attract the brightest and the best with saleries and benefits. If they don't offer attractive packages, then they don't get people who are qualified.

And eliminating the tax breaks to corporate America for every job they outsource.
Interesting. Now you are stating this as fact. Source?

And stopping the oil price gouging WHOEVER is doing it.
My wife made a similar statement the other day and I asked her to remember when we were selling our first house. It was crazy! We listed it at 5:00 PM and by 9:00 that night we had 5 written offers in our hands - several for more than we listed it for. I asked her if we were bad for taking the highest o.

It's the same with the oil companies. They have worked and invested billions of their own $$$ to develop and produce crude oil. When the market went crazy, they had product to sell to the highest bidder. That's where their profits came from - not from the gas pump like everybody thinks.

Then maybe it would be better.

Only problem is by then they all be out of business....and that would be a VERY BAD thing for our country.

Sadly I think we have no choice but to save them at this point. Just like Wall St. It sucks, but the outcome of doing nothing would be much worse for ALL of us.

I say pull out of F-ing Iraq & invest that $10B a month in OUR country.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer

It's the same with the oil companies. They have worked and invested billions of their own $$$ to develop and produce crude oil. When the market went crazy, they had product to sell to the highest bidder. That's where their profits came from - not from the gas pump like everybody thinks.
I wont disgree but we paid what $4 per gallon and now pay less than $2 in a span of what 1 maybe two weeks and what has changed? (new president and if you want to read conspiracy theory good ole boy wont get investigated network with the old one go ahead..LMAO! j/k) Someone made some money from the pump sales, it wasn't all investor trading or was it.

Question is: is the bailout in the best interest of the country?
What will it change ? Isn't the arugument or could it be about nafta? I'm not saying it is just saying there are so many things to look at that the blame game can would and will go on for ever.

Its going to get worse before its gets better unfortunately.
People being allowed to buy homes that they cant afford through irresponsible loans didnt help anything.

Its a mess no doubt, I wish the best for eveyone in the coming year
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

I didn't disagree with you Don, the unions do share the blame. But they are NOT the only problem. I'm tired of people making the poor working guy the scape goat when it's every bit as much about the greedy corporate leaders & the oil companies & our F-ed up politicians (Dems & Reps alike).

We ALL share the blame for this. And we will ALL have to pay for it. I'd prefer to pay some more taxes & keep things running while it gets fixed than let the economy collapse & try to live with no job, house, car, retirement account, etc etc while it takes care of istelf.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

The biggest problem is we are a nation of consumers, not producers. There is a huge problem with that picture.

We outsource so much of our total product package it's no wonder we are having to pay more in taxes (see S&L bailout if you are old enough to remember that fiasco) to keep an in name only consumer product around.

So what if some guy in China is getting paid $4 a week for what could be done here at $400 a week - the more people make the more they spend (no brainer there). NAFTA screwed us royal but we've done nothing to force change, boycott (and I mean a true boycott, Don would know what I mean on that) would put Wallyworld outta business along with quite a few other companies. There is no downside to that if jobs opened up to make the same items *here* and then sell it off the shelf.

Yeah. I'm pretty wound up about it to not make any sense right now.
Old and crabby is my motto.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right, one day we will not be able to make a damn thing here. That is really a shame.
When I look at the Big 3, I am looking at something that makes more than just cars. They supply a lot of parts to the Defense industry. Something foreign companies don't do. We are not talking about some company in Bangladesh that makes a 1.00 pack of dish towels here.

Don't think for 1 second Japan has not or does not help it's companies, because it does and it has. It for the interest of self preservation.

Having said that, I don't mind shelling out the cash if it means a secure future.

Who is to blame? Who the f cares at this point, focusing on that won't solve a damn thing.

Congress and Senate need to learn that too.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I wont disgree but we paid what $4 per gallon and now pay less than $2 in a span of what 1 maybe two weeks and what has changed? (new president and if you want to read conspiracy theory good ole boy wont get investigated network with the old one go ahead..LMAO! j/k) Someone made some money from the pump sales, it wasn't all investor trading or was it.
The price of crude oil changed. Caution - black heliocopters hovering overhead....

Question is: is the bailout in the best interest of the country?
What will it change ? Isn't the arugument or could it be about nafta? I'm not saying it is just saying there are so many things to look at that the blame game can would and will go on for ever.
**** NO!

Its going to get worse before its gets better unfortunately.
People being allowed to buy homes that they cant afford through irresponsible loans didnt help anything.
Because the government FORCED banks to give those loans.

Its a mess no doubt, I wish the best for eveyone in the coming year
Me too.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I didn't disagree with you Don, the unions do share the blame. But they are NOT the only problem. I'm tired of people making the poor working guy the scape goat when it's every bit as much about the greedy corporate leaders & the oil companies & our F-ed up politicians (Dems & Reps alike).

We ALL share the blame for this. And we will ALL have to pay for it. I'd prefer to pay some more taxes & keep things running while it gets fixed than let the economy collapse & try to live with no job, house, car, retirement account, etc etc while it takes care of istelf.
Mark, I was talking specifically about the Auto industry Big 3 in this case. The unions certainly have little blame for the banking bailouts except, maybe, for supporting the politicians that caused it. The rank and file are not the ones to blame.

What we have is a severe crisis in confidence – the Left believes that government is the solution to the economic woes and the Right believes that the free market is best equipped to deal with the problems.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it was squashed in the Senate but I'm sure its not the end of it.

I have a chopper overhead right now
Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Right, one day we will not be able to make a damn thing here. That is really a shame.
I own three GM products with only one being made in the USA......37 years ago. The cHiNeSe-made chrome valve covers on it still shine though.

Here's to globalization

Quick Reply: the big three bailout....