Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Just got a speeding ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a speeding ticket...

Guess I had to get one sooner or later.

This is my first speeding ticket so looking for a little bit of advice. I got clocked doing 53 in a 40, which I know for a fact I wasn't going that fast, but I wasn't about to argue with the officer over 4 or 5mph. The ticket is for $154 which isn't a huge deal, just more worried about my insurance going up.

Since it's my first ticket should I try to go the mitigation hearing and fight it to see if I can get the ticket deferred and possibly not have to pay the ticket, or should I hire a lawyer to fight the battle for me? I know that with a lawyer in the mix I have a better shot of winning but also have to pay lawyer fees.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

I usually would just hire a lawyer. Mitch Greene is down in that area and Jeannie Mucklestone is good as well.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It being your first offense, just go and get sent to traffic school and pay the fine..
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

You'll pay a couple bucks more (not a lot) right now if you hire a lawyer that can get it tossed out.

Believe me, if you've got a clean record try to keep it that way.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go in and ask for a "Differed ticket". What that does is put the ticket on hold for 2 years. If you complete the 3hr driver safety class and stay clean for the 2 years the ticket gets dropped. I did this for a neg ticket. I did the class and stayed clean for the 2yrs and now it never existed. Only problem is you can only do this once in a 5yr period. Something to look into!

Troy
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

you guys get off easy in washington. My first speeding ticket I was doing 39 in a 25 and it was like $350. Later that year they made the road I got a ticket on 35mph.If the driving school is the same as oregon i would do the driving class, Its so easy that you could do it while you were trashed it just takes forever.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a lawyer for sure. Save the defered for when you really need it...Not to mention they can turn it down and hit you with the fine any ways.

A lawyer is good money spent IMHO.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Get a lawyer for sure. Save the defered for when you really need it...Not to mention they can turn it down and hit you with the fine any ways.
That and even being deferred, it'll still be on your record. Maybe not insurance-wise but it'll be visible to all judges that you may later encounter.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by iansane
That and even being deferred, it'll still be on your record. Maybe not insurance-wise but it'll be visible to all judges that you may later encounter.
They can even see tickets that have been dismissed. I got a neg 2 from an Everett cop for something that wasn't even a neg 2, judge dismissed it without any word from me. Went to fight my ticket in Lynnwood and the Judge was a dick about the fact that I wanted a continuance citing that I obviously knew the system and some how got a neg 2 dismissed, and wouldn't grant me the continuance.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I got a 70 in a 55 in Tacoma and it was like $160 but i sent a letter sayin it was first affense and was new to the area and i sent in a ticket stub to the zoo since we were goin to Point Deviance and they deffered it. So its off ur record unless u get another ticket within a year of the first one then it goes on.

If its ur first one fight it sayin its ur first affense/ticket since uve been driving and if it gets dropped or deffered itll be set aside on ur record until a year passes then its wiped clean, but if u get another ticket it shows up and u cant get another defferal for awhile.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

A lawyer is good money spent IMHO.

Word!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I STILL have two Negs on my record from 84 and 85. Had I beat them then they could not use them against me now.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badass99ss
Go in and ask for a "Differed ticket". What that does is put the ticket on hold for 2 years. If you complete the 3hr driver safety class and stay clean for the 2 years the ticket gets dropped. I did this for a neg ticket. I did the class and stayed clean for the 2yrs and now it never existed. Only problem is you can only do this once in a 5yr period. Something to look into!

Troy
does that differ by county? here in the tri-cities (Benton County) you only have to stay clean for one year and no driving school, but you only get to use one every seven years. In any case deferrals are your best bet usually.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 5SiX1
does that differ by county? here in the tri-cities (Benton County) you only have to stay clean for one year and no driving school, but you only get to use one every seven years. In any case deferrals are your best bet usually.
Not sure, I did this maybe 4 years ago for a Neg 2. Maybe it is different now or they have changed it.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 19torch99
Guess I had to get one sooner or later.

This is my first speeding ticket so looking for a little bit of advice. I got clocked doing 53 in a 40, which I know for a fact I wasn't going that fast, but I wasn't about to argue with the officer over 4 or 5mph. The ticket is for $154 which isn't a huge deal, just more worried about my insurance going up.

Since it's my first ticket should I try to go the mitigation hearing and fight it to see if I can get the ticket deferred and possibly not have to pay the ticket, or should I hire a lawyer to fight the battle for me? I know that with a lawyer in the mix I have a better shot of winning but also have to pay lawyer fees.
Show up because your infraction will more then likely be cut in half..as far as them maybe dropping it, not gonna happen because you were clocked on the radar gun. Your Insurance Co. will bump your due's up but they usually don't do this or get notified for a few months if not more.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Get a lawyer and get it dropped or reduced, dont just pay it. Its real easy, only real work is the phone call and the check you write. Or you can just pay it like someone said and your insurance company will be richer!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by iansane
I got poped 10 years ago doing 70 in a 50 and its still on my record for the judge to see CALL A LAWYER! 206) 623-3343

http://www.mucklestone.com/index.htm
Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Go ahead and hire a lawyer but I've noticed a trend in Washington. To keep revenues up and court dates under control, I'v seen where they over your attorney a deal usually a deferral like people have mentioned, they don't take it, they go to court, the judge listens and gives them the same deal they turned down.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

I'll keep you guys posted. I actually hired a lawyer that someone on here had good things to say about a few months back. Sent my ticket and check to him today, so hopefully good things will happen and I'll continue to have a clean record
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Please tell me you have a radar detector, it has saved my butt and paid for itself many times over. I once made the Kessel Run in 18-parsecs!

Quick Reply: Just got a speeding ticket...