Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

2008 Z06 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Z06 Build

Thought I would post a thread about whats new today. I got a local owners new 2008 Z06 in the shop for a blower build. The engine is out at the local machine shop getting a 4340 forged crank, Oliver billet rods, custom Arias Pistons and some bottom end work. Its also getting a custom ECS fuel system. Here are a few pictures of the progress.

Drivetrain about to be dropped

Drivetrain dropped onto my custom made carts

Separation of parts

Bye Bye LS7

Bullet proofing bottom end with LPE Billet Steel Mainline Girdle

Its getting a AA Corvette YSI trim blower kit, in the end its going to make a conservative 750+ to the wheels when its all done.

Last edited by tjwong; 02-25-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wizzow! Badass man.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Wa wa we wa!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow good to see some people are not strapped for cash!! Thats gonna be a beast keep us posted tom!!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

"Conservative 750+"....awesome!

Congrats on becoming a sponsor
Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by potac
"Conservative 750+".......

Congrats on becoming a sponsor
Yep, conservative equates to pump gas power. No methanol injection to dick with. These combos have been known to make over 850 easily, Andy has one that has made 900+, and get this on a stock bottom end, we are not even going there but it goes to show what is possible with a YSI trim blower. This engine has all the right parts plus a mild cam, well mild for a 427 The last one that Andy did made just shy of 800 on pump gas with a similar grind cam, forged Diamond pistons and stock LS7 heads. We are keeping the heads basically stock, they are however getting new Ferrea Super Alloy exhaust valves to head off any issues with the OE valve leaving its head where it don't belong, namely buried in the top of a piston

Here is a picture of a Oliver billet steel rod next to a stock Ti rod, also notice the rod bolts, and how small the shank of the OE Ti rod bolt is as compared to the ARP bolt that comes with a Oliver bolt.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

So can you pick up the chassis with a couple guys and move it around now?

Are the LS7 crank or rods known to fail..?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Poik
So can you pick up the chassis with a couple guys and move it around now?

Are the LS7 crank or rods known to fail..?
I know of none that have failed, but in this case I am not taking any chances. I can tell you that if you take two LS7 engine builds, one with factory crank and Ti rods and similar weight pistons versus an aftermarket build with heavier steel rods and pistons, same cam, the engine with the heavier guts will make less power. Not a lot less, but neverless it will be less, I recently tune two similar Corvettes, one a Z06 with my typical head, cam, intake, and header/exhaust combination the second Corvette a 07 C6 with a mail order LME LS7 will Callies internals. This was the mail order engine that was the oil burner that LME didn't take care of, that is another story. It has been rebuilt locally and the pistons were replaced with custom pistons and the oil usage issue is history. Both engine has the same camshaft, same compression ratio and same head porting. However the LME engine with its heavier internals made about 20 to 25hp less power from 3500 RPM and up.

In this particular build with Andys blower kit, the extra (about 300g) weight isn't going to matter much. We lost more than the total extra weight of the rods and pistons with a new RPS lightweight billet twin clutch with a aluminum flywheel. It will be interesting once the engine is done, broken in and back on the dyno for final tuning. I may need to borrow some bodies to sit in the rear compartment for additional traction
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

tj you have a local machine shop that you trust? Those can be hard to find are they reasonably prompted in doing the work?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike13
tj you have a local machine shop that you trust? Those can be hard to find are they reasonably prompted in doing the work?
The machine shop I use is in Portland, they have been in business for over 50 years. I personally have been doing business with them on and off since 1979, and lately they have been doing all my engines. They are currently working on 2 LS7 builds for me now. And have built 6 in the last 2 years all of which has turned out great. They are not the cheapest in town by no means, he is one of the most meticulous machinists I know. A Corvette forum member that lives in your area and is a Boeing employee is bringing his LT4 down to have my machnist do the final fit up and assembly. I would think that there would be some decent machine shops in the SEA-TAC area. George at TT Inc should know someone in that area, I know George builds seveal LS engines thoughout the year so he must have someone in your area. If you want to use my machinist I can PM you with their contact info.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

George has a good engine builder/machinest, the problem we see is the drag racers usually keep them very busy and have large backlogs. Reason I was asking about your machinest is because you can have the fanciest websites with drop down menus for engine combinations, etc but without a good machine shop none of that means anything. More for information when someone asks if a know a good shop to have something built.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike13
George has a good engine builder/machinest, the problem we see is the drag racers usually keep them very busy and have large backlogs. Reason I was asking about your machinest is because you can have the fanciest websites with drop down menus for engine combinations, etc but without a good machine shop none of that means anything. More for information when someone asks if a know a good shop to have something built.
I don't even have a website I always tell customers not to get drawn in by fancy websites. There's lots of fancy websites with questionable shops behind them, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

DAYUM - that looks like a fun project Tom! Keep us posted on how it goes. And let us know if you need someone to watch gauges on the test drives.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn Nice Quality build Tom! Nice job!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Nice build. Nice shop!

I hope to stop by up there one of these days.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your shop looks really nice and clean Tom. I can't wait to get the car in soon for a tune after Cody get's the fuel pump done! And man, I'm jealous of that Z06. That's going to be one hell of a ride after the build.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Your shop looks really nice and clean Tom. I can't wait to get the car in soon for a tune after Cody get's the fuel pump done! And man, I'm jealous of that Z06. That's going to be one hell of a ride after the build.
Its actually a mess right now! I am swamped and have no time to clean up after myself, I just took two more orders for AA Corvettes blower kits! I can't beleive this, I am glad someone has some cash!! I still can't decide on if I want a AA kit for my car, a Maggie TVS 2300 or Georges TTIx twin turbo kit for my car. A blower is much easier than a TT kit but a TT kit gives me adjustability from a "mild" 700+ on pump gas all the way to 1000+ on race fuel and or meth. which way should I go, bad thing is that I am so busy I may never get to do my own Z
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Hey TJ you dont happen to know the Chun's at Supetune down in vancouver do you? I know a few guys that bracket race down there, my mom dated Steve Kelly who won the Pro ET world final in pomona in 08. but if none of these names ring a bell then sorry for jacking your thread haha
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man Get Geo's kit and never look back!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Go with the George's TT kit. I am still sporting wood after riding in Mark's... and that was "only" 700rwhp.

Quick Reply: 2008 Z06 Build