Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Autocross/Roadcourse near NorthWest Washington

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Autocross/Roadcourse near NorthWest Washington

hey guys, is there a track or autocross place anywhere near the Seattle area? i like the drag strip and all but i would like some track time where i have to turn left and right every once in a while/ i am looking for a nice road course to test my baby on with my new heads and cam that i am installing next month. anybody know of one or do you guys meet up at one for some practice or contest? thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacific raceways holds the best road racing in your area. I've run a track day with the nw corvette club there. I had a blast. I have run numerous events at PIR with my camaro. I like running with some of the smaller clubs like the lotus club or alfa romaeo club. They have less cars, more room / time on the track, and they are alot more low key than the Porsche and or BMW clubs. There's definitally a few must haves before you head out for a track day if you haven't already Been out on one before. I have been running my f body on a road course for 3 years now. I love it!! It's the most fun you'll have with your pants on.... Legally.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

you have to wear pants....darn!

on the other note, i am about to do a heads and cam install using PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads and the LSR 227/235 .614/.621 113LSA cam, i have all the bolt on suspension from UMI and picked up a TA girdle the other day, out back i have the Nitto NT05R tires, what else will i need? i still use the stock WS6 springs and shocks in good condition.

this car will see some drag racing but more road racing cause i was hoping to keep my crappy 10-bolt for as long as possible with the stock 3.42 gear in it. any other suggestions before going to the road coarse?

this will be my first road course so any advice is welcome, thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yes. Brakes, and tires are the two things that must be in perfect condition. Stock brakes will make for very scary and not so fun track day. Stock calipers and rotors are fine, but trust me, if you want to have fun, and you will, buy a new set of stock rotors, some EBC yellow brake pads, stainless soft lines, and change your brake fluid over to DOT 5. The brake fluid and pads are an absolute must! It will ruin your day without them. another issue is the power steering. These cars will boil the power steering fluid and overflow it within 2-3 laps. I ran a remote catch can for the fluid, with s breather, and synthetic fluid and it kept that contained. Tires are another issue. You want lots and lots of tire! Even tires. The whole 275's up front and 315's put back doesn't work nearly aswell as 285's all the way around. But brakes are your biggest fear.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have the WS6 store slotted and drilled rotors all around with HAWK HPS pads on all 4 corners, are those good enough? i have 275 BFG G-force T/A sports up front and Nitto NT05R out back (for summer and BFG G-force T/A all terrains out back for winter).

now i have been told in the past to not run synthetic fluid (dot 5) in LS1 cars cause they are not made for it. is this true and if so why would i run this over dot 3 fluid?

Thanks for all the info, it really helps

Also do stainless braided brake lines really make that much of a difference, cause they are like $160 for my car (traction control)?

Last edited by trans_am7935; 02-17-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

just bought stainless steel braided brake lines and talked to the manufacture about their product and they recommended dot 5 fluid as well after changing the brake lines. now all i need to do i put my sway bars on and i should be ready to go (after my heads and cam install that is!)
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Hawks are oookay. I personally wouldn't take a car with that much power on the road course with mismatched tires. Sounds like a plan for failure to me!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charlie6178
Hawks are oookay. I personally wouldn't take a car with that much power on the road course with mismatched tires. Sounds like a plan for failure to me!
ok, tire suggestions the please, some that i can run in the track and the street?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

How often do you drive the car?? I love the toyo R888's. They grip ever so nice. My second choice would be KDW2's
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i drive the car like 6 months out of the year, and i have a set of spare Nitto NT05 (non drag) for the front and can use my NT05R (drag tires) out back if that will work, cause i would rather not pay 600 bucks for tires when all mine are in good condition. so i would probobly just run my tires and see how they do then if they dont do to well then i would switch.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

You're going to try nitto drag radials on the road course??I wann be there to watch that! With how wild these cars are to drive on the road course abs how fast pacific is I would no want to cut short on tires or breaks. I've seen 2 fbodies wrecked on the race track simply because of tires, and inexperience.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Stick to 1/4 mile drags
Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

buy matching tires, dont use 05's PERIOD, and you are right about the dot 5 fluid being a bad idea. That synthetic crap is garbage! I read that dot 5.1 is good though: it's not synthetic therefore doesnt have all the moisture issues of synthetic.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

DOT 5 is crap??? Looks like we have a real road racer here... Lol yes DOT 5 dies have moisture issues, and generally you only use it on the race track, then you flush the system. DOT 5 can withstand 5 times the temperature that standard brake fluid can. You can garuntee to overheat the brake fluid, and have extereme pedal fade by lap 3-4 especially on a fast track like pacific, even with the best driver and light braking and zero trail braking. DOT 5 is your absolute best option.

Oh and todd (02WS6TURK) says he's gonna bring that chicken out to PIR with me and Tyler and beat on it for a couple laps this year. 1/4 mile is a waste for these cars. It's sooo much fun on the track! I like road racing because it's just a series of drag races.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charlie6178
DOT 5 is crap??? Looks like we have a real road racer here... Lol yes DOT 5 dies have moisture issues, and generally you only use it on the race track, then you flush the system. DOT 5 can withstand 5 times the temperature that standard brake fluid can. You can garuntee to overheat the brake fluid, and have extereme pedal fade by lap 3-4 especially on a fast track like pacific, even with the best driver and light braking and zero trail braking. DOT 5 is your absolute best option.

Oh and todd (02WS6TURK) says he's gonna bring that chicken out to PIR with me and Tyler and beat on it for a couple laps this year. 1/4 mile is a waste for these cars. It's sooo much fun on the track! I like road racing because it's just a series of drag races.
Ok now Im offended, I dont even get an invite... I see how it is Remeber I will have my man pedal and can join.

As far as DOT 5.. There a reason that highend motorcyles use it... Like Charlie said. Can with stand higher temps and better performance. As far as moisture. I have been running it for a while and have not noticed it in either my cars or bikes, but then again I am weird and change my fluids often and regularly.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

David that would be a blast if you cane out for a session! That would be way cool if we could get a group of guys to go out and all get on the track together! So far we have; me, my dad in his 98 SS, Tyler in his SS, and I think Todd said he'd go out and beat on his chicken a lil bit! Then if we could get like 3-4 more cars, or a total of atleast 8-10 cars they would probably give us a session of our own to go out and all run with eachother! That would be an absolute blast! I could probly even talk my GF into running my 1LE 3rd gen road race car with us! She probly wouldn't run it super hard but she might come play!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I'm game to try it out. Sounds like fun. I'm going to own that Z06 around the bends Charlie
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ha! The way you drive your cars I'd pull on you in a stock LT1 car lol Todd I wanna see you actually beat on the chicken!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Owned!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

LOL Iam so down. Of course I have to get the man pedal in first. i have auto crossed an auto well tried and failed.. That would be sick to have a dozen out there. Iam pretty sure Tmoney would be down. Sounds like a good time, then we just need to find a good steak house for afterwards

Quick Reply: Autocross/Roadcourse near NorthWest Washington