Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Looking at getting out of ca

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking at getting out of ca

Hey guys I live in socal and im officially tired of being here, like to move into OR, or WA
But mainly OR And looking for a little advise
Ive never been to either state and plan on taking a trip soon

Some of my main reason for the move (other then our terrible gov) is that I hate the heat and want green scenery with rain/snow, I also prefer country style living (i don't care for the city)
Ive recently have got back into offroading and i'm considering selling my car before the move

I work in the solar industry but am a plumber and hydronics heating tradesman as well as mechanic but i'm all going to take this opportunity to go back to school

If you guys don't mind kinda giving me a heads up on things I would appreciate it
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you are looking for rain most places in OR or WA will be good, there are lots of places to live where you can be in the country and if you want there are many places that are in the country however easy to get to town. If you want a more dry with some rain and more snow in OR its going to be best in central/eastern or parts of southern OR. if you have any specific questions post them up.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Hey guys I live in socal and im officially tired of being here, like to move into OR, or WA
But mainly OR And looking for a little advise
Ive never been to either state and plan on taking a trip soon

Some of my main reason for the move (other then our terrible gov) is that I hate the heat and want green scenery with rain/snow, I also prefer country style living (i don't care for the city)
Ive recently have got back into offroading and i'm considering selling my car before the move

I work in the solar industry but am a plumber and hydronics heating tradesman as well as mechanic but i'm all going to take this opportunity to go back to school

If you guys don't mind kinda giving me a heads up on things I would appreciate it
Corbett, Sandy, Boring and Damascus are great "country living style" areas here in Oregon. Decent distance away from City life, yet not too far if you wanted to hop in the car and make a short 20-30 minute drive into the city. Great locations for a short drive to the mountain, plus the majority of them don't require/have emission testing. Beautiful areas to live w/ lots of land.

I did outside sales for a plumbing & heating company for almost 10 years. I've got multiple contacts/connections in that industry and would be more than happy to introduce you to some of them. My dad retired a few years back and got restless shortly after, so I got him hooked up with a local plumbing company delivering parts to the plumbers at job sites. The guy he works for is always looking for good help. Hit me up if you move or come into town.

Todd
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i want rain u picked the right place
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Over here in yamhill county is where a lot of the good ol' boys live. We are not far from the mountain's where you will find controlled wheeling trails and the coast is just an hour away.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Not to mention browns camp and sandlake.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Not to mention browns camp and sandlake.
I went to Browns Camp and Diamond Mill OHV a couple weeks ago. Awesome areas. Did some serious shooting, riding, camping and beer drinking! Only took me roughly an hour to get there from my house.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome guys thanks you so much
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Corbett, Sandy, Boring and Damascus are great "country living style" areas here in Oregon. Decent distance away from City life, yet not too far if you wanted to hop in the car and make a short 20-30 minute drive into the city. Great locations for a short drive to the mountain, plus the majority of them don't require/have emission testing. Beautiful areas to live w/ lots of land.

I did outside sales for a plumbing & heating company for almost 10 years. I've got multiple contacts/connections in that industry and would be more than happy to introduce you to some of them. My dad retired a few years back and got restless shortly after, so I got him hooked up with a local plumbing company delivering parts to the plumbers at job sites. The guy he works for is always looking for good help. Hit me up if you move or come into town.

Todd
Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
Over here in yamhill county is where a lot of the good ol' boys live. We are not far from the mountain's where you will find controlled wheeling trails and the coast is just an hour away.
To look for these towns in craigslist which major city should I be looking at ?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Couple more questions , if I were to keep my car , how arr the road condtions ? On low boost it make 500hp and with the current r888 I dont have much traction issues, also is there any mountian/canyon roads worth driving? This will be the one thing I would really miss about cali , I have a dozen good cayons with in 15min of me
Also what is boating/watersports like up there? I also have a ski boat
sorry for all the dumb questions
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

To look for these towns in craigslist which major city should I be looking at ?
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/hhh/

Start with Clackamas County and work your way to the Columbia Gorge. The City Of Sandy/Boring/Estacada are good areas.

Couple more questions , if I were to keep my car , how arr the road condtions ? On low boost it make 500hp and with the current r888 I dont have much traction issues, also is there any mountian/canyon roads worth driving? This will be the one thing I would really miss about cali , I have a dozen good cayons with in 15min of me
Also what is boating/watersports like up there? I also have a ski boat
sorry for all the dumb questions
You would be in luck with the roads because 90% of them just recently got repaved. The road conditions are normally pretty nice and clean. Being you have a boat and are looking for some nice mountain roads to drive on, I would say your best bet living wise would be out East. Like out in Sandy, Boring or Corbett like I mentioned. Hood River Oregon is a short drive from these two areas and that area pops off during the summer months with all kinds of boating and water sports. If you like to ski/snowboard/snowshoe, then all this is minutes away. There are so many places to boat around here as well. It's a great central point to live. Short drive to the mountains and beach. Traffic in these areas isn't bad either. The Westside of town is terrible traffic wise and I would personally avoid that area.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Longview is a decent area. The Columbia river is right here and is good for boating or what have you. There are also good Rivera for tubing. Close to Portland, close to Seattle, the coast. It is an all around good central location. We are also right next to mt st Helen's. We have no emissions testing or requirements. Dirt bike tracks if you are into that and a list of other great things. This is in Washington but Oregon is just 5 minutes away. Which is good because u can get cheap cigs In Oregon so u get the best of both worlds
Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

not trying to hijack tripblackls1, but since we're talking about OR, i was thinking about moving out that way from the Nashville area.....the south is getting so populated and like the OP, i prefer country living and being outdoors (4wheelers, car, guns, hunting, boats).....What could you tell me about Brookings and Grant's Pass......i've always wanted to be near the beach.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Grants Pass is nice and quiet. I visited there a couple times this summer. Lots of country, but not much of anything else. There are several tourist spots to visit. Crater Lake, Rogue River and it's not far from Shasta/California.

Slayer, nobody wants to live in Longview lmao
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Grants Pass is nice and quiet. I visited there a couple times this summer. Lots of country, but not much of anything else. There are several tourist spots to visit. Crater Lake, Rogue River and it's not far from Shasta/California.

Slayer, nobody wants to live in Longview lmao
LOL but job wise longview has a better job market for what hes looking for. I didnt mind it i just cruised threw longview when i went to the end of the world rod run.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SalvageZ28
LOL but job wise longview has a better job market for what hes looking for. I didnt mind it i just cruised threw longview when i went to the end of the world rod run.
Plumbing & Heating wise you'd be wrong. I know of several successful plumbing and heating companies located here in Oregon/Vancouver looking to hire knowledgeable hard working people. Companies that are hella busy with work and have several different jobs lined up into next year. That industry is starting to pick back up where it once was several years ago. And you did a "cruise" through there....you don't live there. Big difference.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Todd u have probly never even been to Longview lol
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Btw I DO live here, and I say it's not too bad. It's no different that any of the towns you mentioned. The reason I like it here is the location, it is close to everything that is important. It's a big enough town that it has most everything one needs. It's not so bad Todd, it is ever but ad good as any of tw towns u mentioned=)
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
Todd u have probly never even been to Longview lol
I lived in Longview/Kelso area for about 9 months. That was plenty long enough for me lol...

Mike
Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

U should know that it is in a good location then ; )

Quick Reply: Looking at getting out of ca