Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

It's alive!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004 | 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default It's alive!

Finally finished the cam swap and fired her up today! And on open headers! My god it was loud! The deaf lady 3 houses down came out to see what was going on because it was shaking her whole house! I have to say that this is the first time I've done any major engine work on one of my cars and there were no leaks afterwords. Totally cool. When I fired her up the second time, I heard a real nasty tapping from the passenger side valve cover. I started thinking the worst and shut her off, took off the valve cover (burning myself several times) and checked the torque and the rocker bolts and checked the springs. Everything was good. Turned out the header bolts had vibrated loose. That was a huge relief! Didn't actually drive it, since I still have to drill the holes so I can mount the hangers on the bullets, but it sounds real nice. I'll try to get a clip up tomorrow.

The Torquer actually idles pretty well, though it does take a little finessing with the gas pedal on hot starts. It's a real nice, lopey idle, you can definitely tell it's got a healthy cam in there. Not sure whether or not I want to mess with the set screw, or just wait for a tune. Ram-it said some time ago that he already had one that should work pretty well with my set-up (wink wink, ram-it), so I'll see if I can hit him up.

P.S.- Anybody know of a good (and free) video compression/editing program? A 1 minute clip from my camera is like 30 megs, or some other ungodly size, so I need something to compress that down.
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet. Good job. Can't wait to see you at the track this comming season.
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Awsome, I recently did mine as well. It was the first time on this type of engine. I was pretty jazzed when I started it. What kind of exhaust do you have, you mention bullets did you get TSP duals?
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Nice man! Can't wait to see it run
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by code4
Awsome, I recently did mine as well. It was the first time on this type of engine. I was pretty jazzed when I started it. What kind of exhaust do you have, you mention bullets did you get TSP duals?
Yep, got the TSP duals. They sound real nice. Doesn't muffle the lope of the cam at all. It just tones down some of the "OMFG my skull is throbbing" open header sound.

Oh, and what did you put in yours?
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Congrats! Feels good to start that puppy up for the first time, don't it? I remember when I started mine up for the first time, the neighbor across the street came over to bitch about how loud it was.
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
Yep, got the TSP duals. They sound real nice. Doesn't muffle the lope of the cam at all. It just tones down some of the "OMFG my skull is throbbing" open header sound.

Oh, and what did you put in yours?
The same thing! I can keep it kind of civil with limited throttle but go WOT and OMG! I went WOT the other day here in town & my friends wife was in a gas station nearby. She said that several people went outside to see what the heck was screaming by. It's loud, but I love it.
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Congrats! Feels good to start that puppy up for the first time, don't it? I remember when I started mine up for the first time, the neighbor across the street came over to bitch about how loud it was.
Yeah, gotta love the neighbors!
Old 12-17-2004 | 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Congrats!
Old 12-17-2004 | 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Dang And I keep mine pretty quite for the same reasons

Quick Reply: It's alive!