Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Grundy Collector Car Ins

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grundy Collector Car Ins

You were right about the prices Steve. The rate was just about what Allstate charges me, and I got to pick the value. I went with $35k thinking that would just about allow me to replace it as it sits. Now all I need to hear is that they cover the car during races (or offer a rider policy) and I'm in. Thanks dude!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah for cars that are not dailey drivers it's a great deal you not only save a little cash but the agreed value policy is real piece of mind.

Don't cancel your Allstate policy until you get your policy back from Grundy, it takes awhile.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Grundy doesnt offer Racing insurance as a matter of fact They ask you that when you apply & when you say yes they will decline your insurance.
Most insurance companies will drop you faster then anything if they find out you are racing your car.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
Grundy doesnt offer Racing insurance as a matter of fact They ask you that when you apply & when you say yes they will decline your insurance.
Most insurance companies will drop you faster then anything if they find out you are racing your car.
Thanks cowgirl. I know there is an insurance company like Grundy that offers coverage for racing. My Allstate agent told us it was available, but she couldn't remember the name. She knows we race & thinks it's cool. And she didn't drop us. But she did tell us that if we wad the car up racing, it aint covered.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Thanks cowgirl. I know there is an insurance company like Grundy that offers coverage for racing. My Allstate agent told us it was available, but she couldn't remember the name. She knows we race & thinks it's cool. And she didn't drop us. But she did tell us that if we wad the car up racing, it aint covered.
Same with State farm agent as a matter of fact hes thinking about racing his C4 Vette Vert.

When Sovern or the big NHRA races are around you might want to go check out in the venders they might have insurance companies down there that do the racing as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get coverage for your car during races. ANY insurance co. will give it to you. But just picking up the phone and calling your local agent isnt going to do it. Standard agents have set peramiters that they work with and are only allowed to write certain types of policies, so calling a local auto insurer will get you no where.

To get race insurance it would normally fall under a type of policy that would be in the P&C arena (property & casualty). And instead of saying "I need auto insurance" you say "I need insurance on a dollar value of a vehicle" (much like the case with Grundy). However you arent insuring the car for driving (liability, AD&D, deductible etc). Just the value of whats in the car. In essence it is like insuring your wifes wedding ring.

When the company looks at it they will always weight the risk involved in insuring the car. Speed, # of events, $ value etc. Cost of the policy will be directionaly proportional to those things. For standard co.'s like snake farm, prud., all fake, USAA etc. The is just to much risk involved for them to write the policy, that is why they decline any coverage of any kind.

Unbeknowced to ALOT of people you HAVE to insurance on race car for certain types of events. 24 hour Daytona, Le Mans, Speed GT and a few others.

Its kind of tough to describe how this works so none of what I said may make sense. But if anyone is serious about value only insurance I can put you in touch with "Lloyds of London". Probably the worlds largest and oldest insurance co. They can and will insure just about anything.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

LOL....take that as a pun intended. I can imagine what that would cost. Is that what you did? And speaking of that, isn't it a requirement for me to have the car insured for the PE? But from what you are saying, any of these Specialty Ins places (Grundy, Hagerty, etc) SHOULD be able to cover my car for 1 race. I requested info from those 2.

I'm not worried about drag racing. I figure the likelyhood of me having a hi-$ wreck there is pertty low. Break something yes, wreck the car no. But something like the PE is different. While wrecks are rare, ANY failure could end up in totaling the car. That's a risk I am not excited about taking.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

This is what Hagerty Ins said:

In order to be eligible for our program, a vehicle that is newer than 19 years old must be a limited production vehicle with a very low odometer reading. Additionally, we do not consider vehicles that are raced.

On to the next company.....
Old 01-05-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

And this just in from Grundy:

Thank You for contacting GRUNDY WORLDWIDE's web site. Unfortunately, we are unable to insure vehicles that are used for racing. Best of luck in your search for proper coverage on your vehicle.

Maybe I will have to call LOL....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

I did run across this insurance for NHRA members who want to insure their drag race car:

http://www.racecarinsurance.net/disclaimER.htm
Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me know what you hear back..

I wonder if my car qualifies as a limited production vehicle? Probably not they made quite a few...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm Hagarty just gave me a quote of 839 a year for 36k don't know if my car will qualify or not though that would save me 40 a month..
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Let me know what you hear back..

I wonder if my car qualifies as a limited production vehicle? Probably not they made quite a few...
I have Grundy on my 2000 SS. I have an agreed value policy for $31,000.
Car is not to be used for work, school work or errunds, must be kept in locked garage, no mileage limitations. Premium $ 413.00 year.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

DAMN I just checked its only 520 for a year!!! No mileage limitations at all? I don't drive it to work hardly ever, I do drive it alot in only nice weather to the store or what ever. Is in a locked garage. Hmm I'll have to call and see if I qualify that would be pretty sweet!

Anybody try to have a claim with them?? If an SS can get on then a Z06 should they made alot of both..

Thanks!

Bobby
Old 01-05-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know what its costing us for our two (Dans 95 & his 67 C-10) but I know its no where near $500 for both cars. I think its only like $300 for both (NOT EACH)
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah but I'm insuring 36K agreed value plus there maybe a difference in prices in WA and OR. I'm paying more like 1300 right now for just the vette through American Family. My 01 WS6 was only 1000 a year full time driver...
Old 01-06-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

I think my quote from Grundy was $435 / yr for $35k for the TA. That's less than what I pay thru Allstate & it's officially in storage for 6 months out of the year. But since they do not cover it for racing, I'm still looking. I kinda hope to get a rider for the race & then insure it with Grundy.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

I was all excited about Grundy but they turned me down. I have to own a vehicle newer that the one I am insuring QUOTE: "you have inadequate daily transportation" reguardless that I have 6 vehicles & a new company ride. If I was to overcome that hurdle then they won't insure the camaro unless I have two collectables insured through them.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by code4
I was all excited about Grundy but they turned me down. I have to own a vehicle newer that the one I am insuring QUOTE: "you have inadequate daily transportation" reguardless that I have 6 vehicles & a new company ride. If I was to overcome that hurdle then they won't insure the camaro unless I have two collectables insured through them.
Thats odd because my husband was going to insure our 95 Camaro with them long before we insured the 67. & they had approved us already.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah my drivers are older as well. It did take awhile for my policy to be approved and when I asked my agent they explained that it was because my drivers were older than the SS.

Quick Reply: Grundy Collector Car Ins