Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Speed Channel - Buick Regal/GNX

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Channel - Buick Regal/GNX

Today at 4 pm (EST or PST depending on who you get your TV from) has a 30 minute special on the show "American Muscle Cars" about the GN/GNX.

I know it isn't an F-Body/LSx equipped vehicle, but for the 80's, it was one BBBBBAD *****.

Just thought I would let y'all know in case anyone was interested.

It actually STILL is a bad *****, and was also the engine they used for the 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am (Turbo TA). Fastest 2 production cars from GM in ages..........
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

No arguement, the GNX is one BAD *****!!! And until they made the first SLP FireHawk, that Turbo TA was the fastest production car Pontiac ever made (I believe). And now of course the 4th Gen Birds are even quicker.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
No arguement, the GNX is one BAD *****!!! And until they made the first SLP FireHawk, that Turbo TA was the fastest production car Pontiac ever made (I believe). And now of course the 4th Gen Birds are even quicker.
I would give up various body parts for either an 89 TTA or an 87 GNX.........or Courtnie.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Old 01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And your point would be?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Why do they call the Turbo Buicks "Bufords"?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Oh you Buick Grand National folks are going to love this...

Short Video

It does not get any better. If anyone can top this dyno, post it.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
Oh you Buick Grand National folks are going to love this...

Short Video

It does not get any better. If anyone can top this dyno, post it.
DAYUM!!!!! Mind if I smoke................

Would those two items sticking out of the hood be twin turbos by any chance?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
DAYUM!!!!! Mind if I smoke................

Would those two items sticking out of the hood be twin turbos by any chance?
I guess, man I never heard\seen anything like that before on a dyno or video.

I always thought PAiN had the best dyno video. Now I guess it needs to be NA and FI to keep him in the rankings, lol.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I can better this video or not, but I do have a pretty awesome vid of a 1000+ rwhp Buick T-type doing 200+ mph in ORR that I'll post up in about 5 minutes

That is a pretty awesom dyno vid though

Last edited by Racehead; 01-09-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

If you go here and download the vid called "200 mph" you see kind of a so-so vid of an awesome T-type
Old 01-09-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

OMg.. he just smoked the tires on the dyno..
Old 01-09-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Well that ties it, if a 6 cyl is that much faster than my V8, I'm modding my sons 4 banger! As for which vid is more impressive.....um....uh.....BOTH!

Bills does give you an idea of what it's like to run at HIGH speed. LOTS of noise & vibrations you just aren't expecting. I will say after hitting 140+ the 3rd time in my car it wasn't scary anymore. But the first time WAS!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

btw if i remember right the guy smokin the tires on the dyno swapped a v8 in it's not the V6 anymore
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racehead
If you go here and download the vid called "200 mph" you see kind of a so-so vid of an awesome T-type
Took me forever to download, that was a sweet car and video. 200mph is a little to fast for me. Damn just think you were only 22mph slower. I watched your vid again, that was sweet as can be.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, to think Bill did 172 in an almost-stock F-body kinda taints the 205 by the Super GNX huh Todd? But that was in the 1 mile top speed event too (that they didn't have last year!). And from what I understand, that elevation kills turbos. I wonder what it would do on the Salt Flats with 2.73 gears?

I'm hoping to find out what my car will do in a *****-out, 1 mile, flat-to-the-floor run. There is a nice long straight-away at the starting line of the Pony Express. I wanna see how close I can get to my tech speed of 140mph in 1 mile. Figuring I run 113 in the 1/4 mile here, I hope to get close to 140 in a mile. But that is at 6,000' of elevation. It's amazing how much power you lose up there. I couldn't even spin my tires last year!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

That t-type had a 2 mile run at the 3rd mile, and the 3rd mile was the mile that the "average" speed was taken from. I wonder how fast he was going in the last 100 yards ?! I know one thing .... if he'd been running my rwhp he wouldn't have gone anywhere near 172 mph lol ! Aerodynamics are your friend and those cars are friggen' bricks.

Anyway the differance between his speed and mine is actually 33 mph. And that last 33 mph would feel like the differance between trolling for trout going across grandpa's lake and taking a trip in Miss Budweiser. There's one thing that my vids ( or any high mph vids for that matter ) cannot convey to those watching them, and that is how differant differant speeds feel to the occupants of the car. The differance between the way that 160 mph and 170 mph feels would shock you. It's like the differance between going 70 mph in the express lanes and going 120 mph in the express lanes.

When Mike ( my Nav ) and I did the 10 mile practice runs I hadn't gone over 130 mph in 2 years. I hadn't done a single lapping day prior to the PE so I wasn't in any way shape or form attuned to high speeds ( never will I do this again ). So anyway I knew that I'd be running at least 165 mph during the race and so felt it was very important that I get up to speed during the practice runs to both, get myself acclimated to these speeds, and also to check my car out since I still had a day to make any changes that I might deem necessary. Any way we left the starting line and since 10 miles goes by pretty quickly in ORR we didn't waste any time getting up to about 160 mph ( 1st 1 1/2 miles or so ) from there we kind of crept up near our tech speed to about 165ish mph. Holy crap it felt fast . I was trying to smoothly offset the wind gusts that were pushing the car side to side and get my eyes far enough out in the horizon ( very key to going fast ) so that I was recognizing things a few seconds before I got there. About 5-6 miles into it I was starting to get my "speed legs" under me and at this point Mike called out my current speed which was 167 mph. I looked over at Mike ( ok so I did one of those eye dart things that take about 1/10th of a second ) and asked him "Mike ya wanna see what 170 feels like ? ....." Now as Mark or Boyce or anyone who knows Mike can tell you, he's about the nicest, mellowest, most layed back guy you'll ever meet ... but there IS this other side to him haha !..... He instantly said "YEAH !" So I pinned the throttle and just let it wind out with Mike calling out each MPH . One sixty nine...one seventy ...... one seventy one.........one seventy two. I gotta tell you that it felt like I was going 200 mph. The hood was vibrating and shaking, the window wipers were fluttering around, differant outside parts are whistleing differant notes, the road got 6 ft narrower and there's this underlying "roar" of wind that forces you to yell to be heard, even thru our Nady communicator setup. The car itself felt smooth, but the parts bolted on to the outside of it were taken a major hammering just from the air. I wasn't moving the steering wheel I was "breathing" on it. In other words it felt like another world from 160.

I'd would seriously like to sneak one of you guys into my car for a practice run as my Nav during next years PE. It would be an eye opener for you, your adrenaline would flow in buckets, and you'd be sucking your thumb while rolled up in the fetal position by the time we got stopped LOL!!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

I did the Richard Petty. When I drove they let you get up to 140 MPH. Then I did a ride along with the instructor and he did 170 MPH, like Bill said big big difference. When he hit 170 MPH I was starting to pucker
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I did the Richard Petty. When I drove they let you get up to 140 MPH. Then I did a ride along with the instructor and he did 170 MPH, like Bill said big big difference. When he hit 170 MPH I was starting to pucker
Imagine if you had done this on a narrow 2 lane hwy with no shoulders, no barriers, with bumps and dips and corners that you didn't know were there, and 15-25 mph wind gusts pushing you around ?! And oh yeah, medical help is NOT around the next corner.

PS I've always wanted to do this school. How was it ? How much track time versus class time etc. You might want to do the Proformance Race School at PR. It's a great school.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Yep there is a lot to take into consideration, a little wind here or there is huge.

Quick Reply: Speed Channel - Buick Regal/GNX