Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need help w/ DEQ in portland area

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ DEQ in portland area

Hey guys, any of you know any ways of getting around having to go through DEQ?? I know that if you have an address outside of the DEQ testing area, you don't need to pass emissions. I'm wondering if anyone lives in Salem or around here out of the DEQ zone that might volunteer their address for a couple cases of beer? PM me if you might be able to help a fellow F-body guy out...OR if not, then do any of you guys know any other ways around it, I need to get my Oregon tags asap. I called and since I am fairly new here with no previous residency, I don't even need proof of residency, just an address. My last resort is selling my LTs and buying some shortys, which I am in the process of actually, but I haven't sold or bought yet, so it would be nice to avoid that altogether if possible. Thanks! I post mostly on camaroz28.com, but hardley anyone posts in the Northwest forums over there so I was told to come back here!
D
Old 02-18-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think Oregon has any kind of visual testing... as far as I know, they're just like here in Washington, just an OBDII scan. If you aren't throwing codes, you pass.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I don't think Oregon has any kind of visual testing... as far as I know, they're just like here in Washington, just an OBDII scan. If you aren't throwing codes, you pass.
But they do a sniffer test and I won't pass that part....my car is a 95 so it's still OBDI
Old 02-18-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you sure about that? They don't do sniffer tests here in Washington unless you fail the OBDII... I thought Oregon and Washington were the same, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Teching In

100% sure they sniff for my car. Newer cars might be different.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FastWhiteTA
100% sure they sniff for my car. Newer cars might be different.
Ah, now I see that you have a '95... that's OBDI, if I'm not mistaken. Then yes, they do sick the sniffer on you.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Launching!

You might suprise yourself. A local repair shop should be able to check to see how close you are to a passing level. If you are close enough, you could try some of that HEET, or whatever it is that you put into the tank to run just a little extra clean for a short while.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I am cammed (not a huge cam, it's a CC305, but it's quite a bit bigger than a stock cam) AND have no Cat. So I'd be VERY surprised if I could pass.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

I known people in Utah with a CC305 and no cats and they pass.

Shhhhhh but I still have my Idaho tags and plan on running them for a while where it isn't my everyday driver. BTW no emissions testing in Idaho where I'm from.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I passed once with a CC306... but I had cats.
It was in Maryland, and they even ran it on the dyno.... I was totally shocked when it passed.
Those LT1s werent as dirty as most think.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

You will need ONE cat and that cam will pass. My 93 passed the roller sniffer barely but it did. It had ported heads and hot cam which is similar to the CC305 in size duration etc I think they are both 112s. I had an offroad pipe I could bolt in and swap with a cat with my macs. If you have longtubes you may need two smaller cats to pass and a custom y-pipe is about 150.

You could also get a PO box in Salem or something but that is illegal...
Old 02-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Teching In

HMMmmm I guess I could try to pass it w/ no cats...just can't see how that would happen!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

You aren't going to pass without cats that is not what I said. You will barely pass with cats but you should although you may need a little tuning.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think if you raise the idle a little, that is supposed to help too....but I think some places limit the idle to some level....don't know really....never had to worry about it
Old 02-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Teching In

I know, I was referring to the post that rockin made, he said he knew someone in Utah who passed w/ a CC305 and no cats, I don't see how that would happen though. And yeah, I'll probably just go the legal route...more hassle, but at least I won't have to worry about anything once I get it done.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FastWhiteTA
Hey guys, any of you know any ways of getting around having to go through DEQ?? I know that if you have an address outside of the DEQ testing area, you don't need to pass emissions. I'm wondering if anyone lives in Salem or around here out of the DEQ zone that might volunteer their address for a couple cases of beer? PM me if you might be able to help a fellow F-body guy out...OR if not, then do any of you guys know any other ways around it, I need to get my Oregon tags asap. I called and since I am fairly new here with no previous residency, I don't even need proof of residency, just an address. My last resort is selling my LTs and buying some shortys, which I am in the process of actually, but I haven't sold or bought yet, so it would be nice to avoid that altogether if possible. Thanks! I post mostly on camaroz28.com, but hardley anyone posts in the Northwest forums over there so I was told to come back here!
D
What is the reason why you are failing? Is it the LTs or because you fail the sniffer test. Also Oregon uses an enhanced BAR 31 test procedure which is very tough to pass if you have a cammed up car. One way is to mix a 10% mix of Denatured alcohol with the gasoline. The ratio is 1:10 alcohol/gasoline. That will reduce HCs to a very low number. And you also need your CATs in order to pass this test. The only other way around the BAR31 test is to drive to Medford where you can just pass a sniffer test. Your 305 cam is a baby cam ground on a 114 LSA. Your cam should not be an issue at all. Long tubes are generally not a problem here in Oregon as long as your smog devices are intact. For the most part as far as I have seen these dumba$$es don't even look anymore.

Here is a link to the Oregon DEQ:

http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/vip/index.htm

You can input the test station and model year car and see what test that you have to pass. Oh, one thing to mention. If your tags are current and are not due to expire any time soon. You can drive on them until the expire. Oregon isn't as picky on out of state tags as some states are. Just retain your out of state drivers license and if stopped just tell the cop that you are temporaily assigned here. I lived in New Mexico for over 9 years and never changed my tags or drivers license. In fact I purchased two new suburbans there and a Corvette and I had them all licensed here in Oregon via the mail I was never stopped for anything other than speeding

By the way I have a Sun 4 gas emissions analyzer, I can sniff it for you and tell you if its going to pass a sniff test or not. If it does pass, and if you fail the BAR31 test, you could always take a road trip to Medford and take the basic sniffer test and get your tags. That is what one friend did with a ZR1 that would not pass the BAR31 test.

Last edited by tjwong; 02-20-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ DEQ in portland area