Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Clutch...how hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch...how hard is it?

Hey guys i was wondering how tough it is to change the clutch in the f-bods. Ive only owned lt1 autos and fords before this car so i was wondering if it's just about the same job?

I think that jason (tranzor z28) said he had a master cylinder for 25 bucks or a slave and ill just buy the other one i need. Also you think i should get an aluminum flywheel?

Im thinking about the spec 3i or 3f or whatever they call it and i plan on spraying it. Whatever you guys think im game on hearing it.

Im looking to buy this week or next.

Nate
Old 03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I pulled my T56 a couple years ago when I lost reverse (pin holding the fork to the shaft popped out). While I was in there I replaced the clutch. Did it in an afternoon. Pulled the tranny myself and had a buddy help me steady it when I put it back in.

It's not too bad.

EDIT: Have a chunk of 2x4 handy to jam in between the tranny tunnel and the motor. It helps when getting the pressure plate bolts off. You'll understand what I mean when you do it. Air helps too.

Last edited by greenz28in503; 03-07-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 freaking tranny R&Rs later its REALLY freakin easy. Actually the T56 is really easy to get out I don't even use a tranny jack just put it on my chest and scoot it over. You unbolt the tranny from the bell housing then all the bell housing bolts are easy to get to, installing the clutch itself is a breeze.

I get the whole car pretty high in the are with ramps and wood in the back and 3ton jack stands for the front. That way you have room to work if you were closer I'd help you I have the damn bolts memorized.

Now an auto is a freakin mess..

I had the 3i with billet flywheel, it was a chattery bitch the first 500 miles but was OK after that. I'd get a flywheel too if you have any mileage on yours, there is not alot of room for resurfacing.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
20 freaking tranny R&Rs later its REALLY freakin easy. Actually the T56 is really easy to get out I don't even use a tranny jack just put it on my chest and scoot it over. You unbolt the tranny from the bell housing then all the bell housing bolts are easy to get to, installing the clutch itself is a breeze.

I get the whole car pretty high in the are with ramps and wood in the back and 3ton jack stands for the front. That way you have room to work if you were closer I'd help you I have the damn bolts memorized.

Now an auto is a freakin mess..

I had the 3i with billet flywheel, it was a chattery bitch the first 500 miles but was OK after that. I'd get a flywheel too if you have any mileage on yours, there is not alot of room for resurfacing.
just wait till you have to do the Vette LOL!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

True the WHOLE freakin drivetrain comes out. Might as well just take the motor out too and clean the frame I figure the clutch can wait until next fall or winter!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

bate its not that hard, we could do it at the hobby shop in a couple of hours.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in for that modfest. Of course we'd have to wait till I get back Nate.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 AM
Banned

Yeah i told the wife the throwout bearing was bad and that i might as well do the clutch while im in there. hehehe i think she bought it. Thanks for the help guys ill put out an all call when the clutch gets here. WOOHOO no more burnt clutch for me.

Nate

Quick Reply: Clutch...how hard is it?