Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drag racing

Reading up on how to race one of these Z06's and came across this. Now, I have only went to the track three times in my life. I prepared, researched and asked you guys. I remembered most of it once I got in line but this here is going to cause brain overload. After reading this, you must be REAL good to hit 12.0 in this thing. http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53940
Old 03-26-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

To clarify, I by no means anticipated hitting the low 12's my first time or two out even before I read this.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you, I thought for sure power would carry me through, guess in my case NO. There is a lot to it, I need a brain overhaul the next time I go.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have new wheels and tires going on this week after my driving school. I will be willing to use them up in order to learn how to lay down the perfect launch. BTW, my brother in law is going to film my track day for me this Tuesday. He asked if I would run in the ran. I quoted their website to him that says that the run rain or shine. That rain just makes you a better driver. I will know soon.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

What school are you going to? Really practice the "feather techique" for drag racing. I can get out of the hole but if you go WOT into 2nd you just spin, you also have to ease into 3rd a little bit.

I anticipate when I can get to a track and get more than 3 runs in and 5 hours I'll get the 2nd gear shift down and get the car in the mid 12's. There was a guy with just LG's and tuning and he was running 12.2's and PIR is a horrible track IMHO, I've always had better runs at Woodburn.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Hitting a 12.0 isn't easy in ANY car, that's for sure. I think a Z06 has the power to weight ratio to be able to. But it's suspension really wasn't designed with drag racing in mind. It's a road race car. Kind of like Boyce's car. It has the power to weight ratio to run well into the 11s, but it probably never would, becauee it just isn't setup for it.

To get a good 1/4 time, the biggest / best mod you could do would be tires Eric. If you strapped some Nittos on that car, it would run low 12s. Then the question would be how long the driveline would stand up to it. That IRS doesn't like shock & awe. But it handles like a bitch, as you well know.

Todds car is another example. His car COULD run 11s, IF it was setup for it. My car finally is. But I have $5k in the driveline, and another $2k in suspension parts. The thing holding my car back is power to weight. I could probably run 11.5 if I wanted to take a bunch of stuff off the car, but I don't want to. So I'll run what I run in full dress & be happy with it. It's all about choices.....

Damn, that article has a TON of good info!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ram-it
I have new wheels and tires going on this week after my driving school. I will be willing to use them up in order to learn how to lay down the perfect launch. BTW, my brother in law is going to film my track day for me this Tuesday. He asked if I would run in the ran. I quoted their website to him that says that the run rain or shine. That rain just makes you a better driver. I will know soon.
Eric,
I wish I was going to be there to participate, or even to watch you. You're going to have a great day ! If it's a rainy day it won't be nearly as much fun ( I've done 2 in the rain ), but you'll learn alot more.

Do's
1. Be very smooth on gas pedal application on corner exits
2. Be SLOW and gradual on steering wheel inputs. The faster your going, the slower your steering wheel inputs need to be.
3. If it's wet, raise your tire pressure 5 psi or so higher than normal

Don't
1. Try to "keep up" with anybody else on the track. It will hinder your learning curve in the long run.
2. Go faster than you're comfortable going. Your comfort zone will naturally move up as the day goes on, let it, and don't try to push it. You'll be surprised at how fast you wind up going on accident, just by trying to be technically good/smooth
3. Get upset if a Neon, or other unworthy car passes you ( seriously ), leave your ego at home and just show up to learn. Let the cars that come up behind you go on by and don't try to stay ahead of anyone. The track is all about the driver and there's some very good ones out there, and they'll spank you hard in some very un-assuming cars. Don't worry about it, you can "play" another day.

I can't wait to read your post when you're done
Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bobby, its the performance driving school at PIR. There is a link to it on the PIR website.

Racehead, thanks for the pointers. The thing I am REALLY worried about is losing control and spinning by being on a wet road with these stock F1's. They are not good in the wet at all. I will go through the high speed manuevering and crash avoidance first and will have a feel for how well they will grip by the time I get on the track. Worst case, I will not push it or myself at all if I am not 100% comfortable.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

All of this nice weather we have been having and it looks like rain.

Be safe and have fun!

Quick Reply: Drag racing