Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Double Clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Clutching?

Okay, so I'm sure everyone has seen or heard of double clutching and "granny shifting." To my knowledge, "double clutching" is popping the clutch to get it out of gear, releasing the clutch while in neutral, and then hitting the clutch again to get it into the next gear, all in a split second. If this is true, what is the advantage to double clutching over regular "fast" shifting. Also, I would assume "granny shifting" is not doing double clutching. Someone please clarify.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no benefit to "double clutching"... double clutching is just Fast and the Furious lingo that has no basis in today's world of synchronized transmissions.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah "granny shifting" and "double clutching" in racer talk comes from that one line in The Fast and the Furious.. Double clutching is when you have to synch the RPMs to the next gear by putting the clutch down, shifting to neutral, reving up, clutch down, next gear.. Hence double clutching because you use the clutch twice per gear change. This is only on the non-synchronized transmitions that old old cars and trucks and buses had and stuff.. Nothing to do with real racing lol. And "granny shifting" is just shifting slow
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I thought "granny shifting" was when you let off the gas between gears, as opposed to leaving it floored and pulling the shifter into the next gear as fast as possible.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by burbman
I thought "granny shifting" was when you let off the gas between gears, as opposed to leaving it floored and pulling the shifter into the next gear as fast as possible.
Nope, that is "speed shifting". "Granny shifting" is what Poik described, SLOW speed shifting. "Power shifting" is when you keep the gas pedal to the floor. And last but not least, "Flat shifting" is when you don't use the clutch & hold the gas to the floor (or sardog shifting as we call it in the NW).
Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Poik
Yeah "granny shifting" and "double clutching" in racer talk comes from that one line in The Fast and the Furious.. Double clutching is when you have to synch the RPMs to the next gear by putting the clutch down, shifting to neutral, reving up, clutch down, next gear.. Hence double clutching because you use the clutch twice per gear change. This is only on the non-synchronized transmitions that old old cars and trucks and buses had and stuff.. Nothing to do with real racing lol. And "granny shifting" is just shifting slow
Good explaination here. The old autocar dump truck I used to have to drive was a classic example of why you had to double clutch!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

I have always though of granny shifting as just slow shiftin, like when you are just crusing. As for double clutching like evryone says that is just something out of fast and the full of ****. the only transmisions that i know of that you have to double clutch for a big rig tranny, and if you drive a jerico, or strait cut tranny on the streat.

When i am racing i just barley tap the clutch, shift as fast as i can and keep the gas down. BUT................i would not recomend that method on the stock gearbox, as i found out last week.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Just looking at the title made me think its been a very long time since I've heard that term when it comes to non-heavy duty trannys.
Everyone explained it well enough - its just odd to think about nowdays.

When i am racing i just barley tap the clutch, shift as fast as i can and keep the gas down. BUT................i would not recomend that method on the stock gearbox, as i found out last week.
Sardog! What were you thinking?! It sucks but my guess is the new gearbox will be virtually bullet proof
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LMFAO!!

Unless you are driving a Truck or NON Synchro'd trans that term is Obsolete
Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Just looking at the title made me think its been a very long time since I've heard that term when it comes to non-heavy duty trannys.
Everyone explained it well enough - its just odd to think about nowdays.

Sardog! What were you thinking?! It sucks but my guess is the new gearbox will be virtually bullet proof

I will give you a hint the new one will only be 2 gears
Old 06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Teching In

That's what I thought. I read about some kind of car in a magazine that used those two terms, and I was curious. But, I do remember now what Dooshbag Mcgee said in the Fast and the Furious. Cool, thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
LMFAO!!

Unless you are driving a Truck or NON Synchro'd trans that term is Obsolete

Even IF you're running a truck the term is still obsolete haha ! Slightly push the clutch in while popping it out of gear, let the clutch out and THEN push it into the next gear matching revs is how it's done now days. Lot's of people never use the clutch at all beyond coming to a stop.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Wait a minute... While goofing around on the internet I found another double clutching reference here, http://www.driftfest.com/ used in "drifting technique." Is this more rice talk. I also found this link in the car shows thread.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you ever saw the movie "Bullit", in the famous car chase scene, you can hear Steve McQueen double clutching the Mustang as he's chasing the bad guys in the Charger.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sardog46
I will give you a hint the new one will only be 2 gears
When did you put a turbo in that beast? You don't have enough power (yet) to run a glyde.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
You don't have enough power (yet) to run a glyde.
Ohh I sense a little bit of compettition!

Quick Reply: Double Clutching?