Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

No longer all GM

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No longer all GM

This past weekend we traded off the wifes 2004 Cavy. We now have 3 camaros and 2 chevy trucks and 1 Jeep. Hey atleast it is still a domestic. Since GM doesn't offer any variety in diesel selection we had to look else where. We looked at the VW's but ended up deciding on a Jeep Liberty with the same diesels that they put into the Mercedes. This thing is nice, comfy, and has a fair amount of room on the interior. Yet the exterior is still small (same size as the Cavy). Doesn't have the same get up and go, but it isn't bad especially for a diesel. It does how ever have some torque which is great for towing. You may ask why the hang up on diesel? Well we bought a manufacturing system to make Bio-Diesel. I can make diesel for $0.75 / gallon. The Liberty gets 23 mpg in town and 28 on the highway and has a 22.5 gallon tank. On long trips you can go for about 600 miles before needing fuel. :thumbsup:

Just thought I would share.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good to me man! I am also hoping GM will step up the varity in them boring line
Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Bio-Diesel is the way of the near future. Only problem is finding enough waste veggie oil to make it for .75 a gallon. Most large places have contracts with disposal companies and thus cannot give it to you.

The place I used to work at was huge on Bio-Diesel and a group of Seattle area activists for Bio met there about once a month.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

They are researching and finding other sources of oil besides veggie oil, such as oil from salt water algea plants. But you are right it is hard to find the veggie oil.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats because all that old restaurant veggie oil goes onto dry dog food to make dogs eat it.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
This past weekend we traded off the wifes 2004 Cavy. We now have 3 camaros and 2 chevy trucks and 1 Jeep. Hey atleast it is still a domestic. Since GM doesn't offer any variety in diesel selection we had to look else where. We looked at the VW's but ended up deciding on a Jeep Liberty with the same diesels that they put into the Mercedes. This thing is nice, comfy, and has a fair amount of room on the interior. Yet the exterior is still small (same size as the Cavy). Doesn't have the same get up and go, but it isn't bad especially for a diesel. It does how ever have some torque which is great for towing. You may ask why the hang up on diesel? Well we bought a manufacturing system to make Bio-Diesel. I can make diesel for $0.75 / gallon. The Liberty gets 23 mpg in town and 28 on the highway and has a 22.5 gallon tank. On long trips you can go for about 600 miles before needing fuel. :thumbsup:

Just thought I would share.
You should talk to Wong about a bulldog(sp) if you want more power. He's got a few in stock. Not dure opf the details of it but it woprks with yuour stock setup to produce more hp and tq.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I know about Bullydog. They are located just out side my home town in Idaho. I actually bought an Edge Performance system for 05 Chevy diesel. Not sure if they have anything for the Jeep yet. Not sure that Bullydog has anything either. Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
They are researching and finding other sources of oil besides veggie oil, such as oil from salt water algea plants. But you are right it is hard to find the veggie oil.
Another option is Soybean oil and subsidize the farmers, or large enough scale that they can produce BioDiesel for the same cost and pay the farmers descently for the Soybean oil. Another option would be tax breaks on the BioDiesel so it can easier compete with Dino Diesel. Unforuntately with the current admin I don't see that happening. If they sunk as much money into Bio as they did into Hydrogren I think we'd be seeing a lot of new Bio vehicles. Hopefully GM will start offering a few more in trucks soon, like the Colorado, and a diesel small car, or at least the H2 or H3.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Amorget
Another option is Soybean oil and subsidize the farmers, or large enough scale that they can produce BioDiesel for the same cost and pay the farmers descently for the Soybean oil. Another option would be tax breaks on the BioDiesel so it can easier compete with Dino Diesel. Unforuntately with the current admin I don't see that happening. If they sunk as much money into Bio as they did into Hydrogren I think we'd be seeing a lot of new Bio vehicles. Hopefully GM will start offering a few more in trucks soon, like the Colorado, and a diesel small car, or at least the H2 or H3.

Exactly. There are alot of oils that can be used, any vegitable (soy, olive, corn, etc) and any nut oil (peanut, cashew, etc.). And the manufacturer said that salad oils that Chinese resturaunt use can be used to make diesel. So yes their are options out there.

I actually would have preferred to buy a Colorado in a diesel if they had offered it. When I emailed GM they responded saying that 2007 will be a diesel suburban, and more diesels to be announced after that. We can only hope.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I would love a Diesel Aveo

Quick Reply: No longer all GM