Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

so much 4 my son camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so much 4 my son camaro

Last night at around 11:30 my son lost control of his beautiful 95 LT1 z28 ...Ended up jumping a ditch & skidding into a farmers field & smashing the rasperry poles.About 4 of em.He was showing off to his X girlfriend & passed her & lost control....she kept going & went home & called my house.My son was so freaked out he left the cars lights on & ran (literally)4 miles home.He collapsed at the front door in a huge sobbing mess.I was so freaked out but glad that it didnt kill him.It took till 2:30 am to finally get the car out of the sloppy field..Atleast I have a buddy that owns a towing company & he told me it was on the house....Just when he left the road there was a huge telephone plole he missed or my story would be diff.
He bought this car in sept & borrowed 5k from me.We only had liability on the car.Now he will be making pmts for quite some time without a car.The damage is mainly front end.But the whole drivers side was hit also.Door is mangled.Front fender ect.Tie rod ends are broke ,hod is toast ..not sure what damage undeneath & engine compartment.I had em tow it to the towing yard so evryone wont come by gauking at it.But i have a week to figure out what to do with it.Was such a beautiful car & the motor was just perfect.Ran so smooth.I dont have the resources to fix this thing i dont think.I am sure a body shop would be astronomical...Anyhow any ides for me ???I am so sick right now i spent last few hours in bed just shaking.Everything in my body hurts!I feel like a horrible dad for letting him buy that car now.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad hes ok. Sell the car or part it out. If you fix it and put your son back in it then your just waiting for something else to happen.He obviously isnt responsible enough nor does he have the driving skill to be in that car.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:05 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the only idea I would have for you is to part the car out. If it's a total, and you only had liability, that would be the best way to recoup some of the value of the car. If the engine is undamaged, you could surely get a fair amout of cash out of it.

At least then it wouldn't be $5K down the drain.

Sorry to hear about another F-body meeting it's demise, but at least the car can be replaced... and your son is okay.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I'm a dad, scary story but at least everyone is ok. Just what the others have said, part it out and let the kid walk to learn his lesson. On a side note: I wonder what was was really going on with the x-girlfriend. Showing off or something else. If I had an x and they did something like that I would have stopped to see of they were ok not keep driving home like it was in my best interest. Sounds a little fishy to me, but who cares as far as I go thats between you, your son and the x girlfriend. If it were my kid he'd have no car for a very long time. You cant knock yourself for what your kid did, and buying him that car was more than likely done out of the tremendous love you have for your son. Its not your fault, dont beat yourself up over it.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

I am glad your kid is ok, but I have to agree, it doesn't sound like he is ready for the responsibility that goes along with having such a powerful car.......perhaps a diesel Volkswagon Rabbit would be a good choice for his next ride?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

guys i really needed that incouragement.I love this kid with all my heart & he is such a good kid.He has a 94 pont grandprix he was selling & hasnt sold it yet.He drove that car for a year with no troubles at all.Thing about it is he was grounded from the camaro for a few weeks for getting a speeding ticket & I let him take it to work yesterday so i wouldnt have to get him at midnight!I was going to take the car forever when he got a ticket but he came home & told me everything & took responsibility for it & took his punishment.AND then this happens...Back to the grand prix but itll be 6 months or maybe start of next school year..till he drives again.he will be a senior.I just hope i can keep his spirits up & can feel good about himself again.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GetIn&Go
guys i really needed that incouragement.I love this kid with all my heart & he is such a good kid.He has a 94 pont grandprix he was selling & hasnt sold it yet.He drove that car for a year with no troubles at all.Thing about it is he was grounded from the camaro for a few weeks for getting a speeding ticket & I let him take it to work yesterday so i wouldnt have to get him at midnight!I was going to take the car forever when he got a ticket but he came home & told me everything & took responsibility for it & took his punishment.AND then this happens...Back to the grand prix but itll be 6 months or maybe start of next school year..till he drives again.he will be a senior.I just hope i can keep his spirits up & can feel good about himself again.
He will get over it and maybe, just maybe, learn a lesson out of all this. Good luck and keep YOUR spirits up.......just look at the bright side, he is almost 18 and can be booted out of the house soon.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn glad your kids alright...i have a pretty powerful car right now especially for my first car..my 83 camaro was totally rebuilt and was pretty damn fast..seeing that most my friends are driving beaters or SUVs. i have never really abused my car and if i did i learned my lesson..(Ex: doing doughnuts and having cop cars surround my car, and many more incidents...) my dad told me if i EVER got a speeding ticket the car would be parked in the garage and not moving for 6 months..and i have never got a speeding ticket and im turning 18 in may so ive been driving close to 2 years now..i know if/when i have my child hes guna drive a beater for the first year just so he can learn how to drive..new kids at driving may not always have the responsibility to control a V8 ex: showing off to ex girlfriends (no offense getin), but just be thankful your son is ok. a car can BE replaced, a son and a loved one cannot!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

just got back from looking at the damage.Im a lil optomistic that we can put her back together.The front clip is wiped but the front firewall where the radiator is doesnt seem to be harmed.So basically the front facia, & the hood is badly damaged.Lights ect.The whole drivers side will need to be replaced & the pass front fender..I just dont know how much damage to the underneath of the car.I can hopefully get it up on a hoist next week & see whats under there.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

find a local body shop that has a frame straighter & they can check the frame see if it twisted any. Most will not charge much. I know where there is one down in oly thats pretty good.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

great idea....heres another idea I would like yer guys opinion on.My son found a 94 camaro v6 car no motor or tranny.But heck the car is all there.I talked to the guy just a few minutes ago.Said its all pretty straight..wonder if i yank parts off that & fix my sons or just yank off my sons & use this car.The 94 comes with a title.I dont think theres alot of diff is there between a v6 car & my sons z28??Exterior i think its identical.Dont know how much modification i would have to do to transfer his setup over to the 94....And besides the value is less with it not being a z28 car.(Vin numbers)
Old 12-31-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

As far as swapping the mechanicals, you have almost the ideal situation, a smashed donor car (it's amazing all the little things you need to do the swap right, and how much they can add up to $$$$$)and a straight V6 body. It's just really a matter of taking out the v8/trans/rear and putting in the other
Glad to your son is ok, like everyone said the car can be replaced, your son can't
Good luck
Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

i sure hope he learned his lesson, otherwise he can do a lot of damage with that mix of V8 and testosterone (been there done that, ex-girlfriend and all).

I'd think long and hard before helping him get back into anything faster than a bus. But hey, you're his dad, not me....
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

My .02...Stick with a 6 cylinder
Old 12-31-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah really...until he can prove to you he can actually handle a v8
Old 12-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

yep totally agree.I am sure he is learning a huge lesson but the fact remains that the car is too much for him.I guess at this point id like to minimize the loss to some degree.Not sure if parting out car or swapping with the 94 is more $$ wise.Hate to work on the car for 6 months & then sell it.But lesson learned.Its his money but would like to minimize the loss.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if he'd be interested because it sounds like there's more damage than he'd like. Eh, but what the hell:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/429894-wtb-wrecked-fbody.html
Old 01-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, that sure sounds familiar.....heres a similar story, 16 year old got a white 98 z28 for 10k in cash (his parents money) liability only insurance beacuse its cheaper. everything is going great, he gets a little cocky about a month after he has his car, goes down a curvy road a little fast, goes around a corner the same time a truck is going the opposite way around same corner. Camaro due to speed and conditions (wet road) slides and hits the trucks right hand side and the camaro spins at least once and ends up in a cement barrier. Air bags deployed, the kids beautiful garage queen baby totaled and he is a sobbing mess. sound kinda close to your kid? well thats my story.. my dad (Rollin Black) was in the same place your in, so maybe you should talk to him and get some advice.

Why am i posting? well just mainly to say people can change, it's a year later and I have changed. I am a proud owner of a navy metalic blue 98 z28 camaro, i drive the speed limit all the time if not less and am a good kid, sure it took me a totaled camaro, a speeding ticket and a unlawful tire noise which i found out is a crimial offense... who woulda guessed..

But anyways dont be to hard on him, yes punishment is deserved, but most importantly just be a loving father and if things fall into place your son can learn from his mistake and can change also.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:07 AM
TECH Junkie

comdat you live in seattle? your 17? 18?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

live in graham and im 17

Quick Reply: so much 4 my son camaro