Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Opinions of used heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions of used heads?

I know someone selling some used 5.3 Stage 1 heads.......300 bucks. I trust the guy although he never ran them on his car. They were milled and had a valve job (?). For 300 bucks I don't see how I can go wrong.........any opinions?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

No one?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

$300. I'd say you cant go wrong either way.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heads on my car are used. Like mentioned above, for $300 it's worth it to get 'em, then take 'em to somebody who knows heads to check them out, and if all appears good, slap 'em on!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Heads on my car are used. Like mentioned above, for $300 it's worth it to get 'em, then take 'em to somebody who knows heads to check them out, and if all appears good, slap 'em on!
... or ebay them and take the profit.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

How much were they milled? There are 3 things to consider (well many, but these would render them useless to you)

1) Are they broken - nuff said
2) Were they milled more than .050"? If yes then the PtoV becomes a major issue (piston to valve clearance) if you are going to run a cam with >.575 lift.
3) Were they milled more than .050"? (echo?) If yes, then the compression ratio is likely going to be too high to run pump gas. 5.3 heads have a smaller combustion chamber = higher CR, which is why people use them. Milled 50 could put you in the 12 to 1 area.

Other than that, they should easily be worth $300. That is what I paid for my 6.0L heads. Of course then I sunk another grand into them.....
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys......more or less that is what I figured.....for $300 it is hard to go wrong. I am not sure how much they have been milled Mark, but I was told it was not a lot I will ask around later for a good place to have them inspected and maybe ported & polished? The cam I "want" to run them with is the standard 224/224 on a 114 and it only has .563 lift so hopefully that will be ok. We shall see........worst case scenario I have some really expensive paper weights. They come with springs and what not but I would prolly get new ones with the cam just to be safe.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Have Ellis take them to Mike.....he does killer work @ good prices (he did mine).
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Have Ellis take them to Mike.....he does killer work @ good prices (he did mine).
I sent Ellis an email but haven't heard from him.......he is being all right now I reckon.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry guys I am slammed.

I will get to them as soon as I can. I like to have time to sit down and go over them and think about theright direction to head on a customers project then just off the cuff.

Darrin the deal is good and for less then a new set I am sure we can make these fit what you need
Old 04-20-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
sorry guys I am slammed.

I will get to them as soon as I can. I like to have time to sit down and go over them and think about theright direction to head on a customers project then just off the cuff.

Darrin the deal is good and for less then a new set I am sure we can make these fit what you need
Thanks dude, I appreciate the input. Once they get here I will get in touch with you and we can figure out a direction to go in.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to know how much they were milled. $300 isnt bad, who ported them? Then you need to look at the valves and valve springs. You can get stocok heads ported for 650-750 from a sponsor so depending on how much material was removed and who did them they could be a great deal or just so-so gains. Ellis wont steer you wrong, but I'd hold off on buying them right now until he can work with you.
You wont get your money back on ebay so dont do it for that. Stage 1 is different in all shops so who knows whats really been done to them. Just milled and a valve job isnt going to net you the gains a real port and polish job will. You need to know more about the heads, or we do to make a good decision on them. Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You want to know how much they were milled. $300 isnt bad, who ported them? Then you need to look at the valves and valve springs. You can get stocok heads ported for 650-750 from a sponsor so depending on how much material was removed and who did them they could be a great deal or just so-so gains. Ellis wont steer you wrong, but I'd hold off on buying them right now until he can work with you.
You wont get your money back on ebay so dont do it for that. Stage 1 is different in all shops so who knows whats really been done to them. Just milled and a valve job isnt going to net you the gains a real port and polish job will. You need to know more about the heads, or we do to make a good decision on them. Just my opinion.
Well I have no way to find out who did the work nor much more about them other then what Ellis can tell me when he sees them. As for "holding off till Ellis can work with me", that isn't going to happen since they are coming from California. I am not trying to get my money back (that was someone else's idea if they didn't work out) so ebay is not a concern for me. As I said a post or 2 ago, worst case scenario I get two over-sized paperweights.

Porting & polishing is pretty much a given but I appreciate your input.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Well I have no way to find out who did the work nor much more about them other then what Ellis can tell me when he sees them. As for "holding off till Ellis can work with me", that isn't going to happen since they are coming from California. I am not trying to get my money back (that was someone else's idea if they didn't work out) so ebay is not a concern for me. As I said a post or 2 ago, worst case scenario I get two over-sized paperweights.

Porting & polishing is pretty much a given but I appreciate your input.
I've got AFRs if your interested
Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tru_ice
I've got AFRs if your interested
I would love em, I have $300 cash in hand if you want it.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saying that if your buying a set of stock heads that have been milled and a quick valve job, it might not be such a good idea. IF you have to spend an additional 650-725 on cnc'ing your kind not speding money wisely by spending the 300 in the first place. I've sold 2 sets of stock heads and talked to many a shop about p+p before I did what I did. Just trying to save you some money if possible but no matter good luck with what you choose. You 'll be changing that nbm sig soon enough
Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
I would love em, I have $300 cash in hand if you want it.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even if they have only been milled .030 you can run into P2V problems. You just need to watch cam size (lift) and duration. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, I have a really nice set of MTI Stage 2R LS6 heads if your willing to spend a bit more money.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Why everyone wanna sell me heads NOW...after I get this offer?
Boyce, I think Stage 2R (I presume for RACE) are prolly a bit more then I want/need for my lil panzy-*** car. But thanks.

So no deal Rey?

Oh and Blanco, I wasn't trying to be a dick, it just comes natural to me.
Seriously though, I appreciate it, as I said, just not too worried about it......if all I get are some mildly modded "stock" 5.3 heads, then I would have had to spend the $600+ to get "good" new ones anyway that I will spend on porting, polishing, etc.