Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

downforce anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default downforce anyone?

just out of curiosity (sp), what kinda downforce do our cars rear spiolers put out? i know it can't be alot, but i was just wanting to. also does anyone know if the TA's have more? and does the air damn in the front for the radiator cause any downforce?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking an educated guess here (mech. eng.) but I doubt the camaro's spoiler provides much downforce. I think the SS's have a taller lip that would help out a little more. The T/A's rear wing I'm sure does provide some downforce as its shape is actually an airfoil (upside down airplane wing). Now how much does it provide...I don't know. Also, the formula's rear spoiler probably provides a little too.

I think the front air dam is designed just to direct air into the radiator.

Oh, the T/A's side skirts would probably also reduce lift
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Boyce or Bill would be able to tell you in more detail, but the TA spoiler creates more downforce than the SS one does. And the aftermarket ones for the SS that stick up about 3-4" more create a BUNCH. Boyces rear suspension would actually get compressed several inches @ 150 mph by the LG one he used to run. Which is about where most of them really start to work....and the front air dam is to keep air from building up under the car (and for helping the radiator cool).
Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the reason i asked about the front air damn is that, from what i know (which is very little ), i might create a little bit of a low pressure area under the car, because less air would be travling under the car then over it. kinda like an F1 cars derfuser (sp). just so all of you know, i am not gonna go bolting up a bigass wing and body kit for more downforce , i was just thinking about it while watch the F1 practice.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

True, but that low pressure area is behind the air dam, so it doesn't affect the cooling. That dam is also a scoop to route cool air into the radiator, and it blocks the hot air from the engine from coming forward. It's really pretty hi-tech for no more than it is. And as Don B proved this year, it DOES make the car faster too.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
True, but that low pressure area is behind the air dam, so it doesn't affect the cooling. That dam is also a scoop to route cool air into the radiator, and it blocks the hot air from the engine from coming forward. It's really pretty hi-tech for no more than it is. And as Don B proved this year, it DOES make the car faster too.
My car picked up 4 mph and .2 by adding the front air dam and lowering the front 2 inches.

It was the cheapest .2 seconds I've ever had.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
My car picked up 4 mph and .2 by adding the front air dam and lowering the front 2 inches.

It was the cheapest .2 seconds I've ever had.
Wow, that is very impressive! 4mph?! Do you have pictures of your front air damn?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
Wow, that is very impressive! 4mph?! Do you have pictures of your front air damn?
The air dam is from a '85 S10 pickup. I could not have fit better or been easier to install.

Old 06-24-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Wow just that made that much difference? Sweet, How to make a brick more aerodynamic 101 eh?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Don't you EVER call the White Refrigerator a brick Poik!!!

Quick Reply: downforce anyone?