Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Here Chebby Chebby

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dana 60 can do the same thing. We don't need no stinking Ford parts...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
A dana 60 can do the same thing. We don't need no stinking Ford parts...
You mean like this Mike? The F*rd is a puny 9" while this bad boy is 9.75" ! I still managed to break it a couple of years ago at Bremerton but stii won 2 rounds after it broke to get into the final. Fun times!

Old 01-11-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ford v Chevy silliness aside, the trailer issue has been on my mind too. -Just making too much power for our own good. I am compounding the issue by running a t5. I really wanted to avoid the whole trailer complication though. I think the only way to reconcile the issue is to get my pickup trailer-ready and train the Frau to rent a trailer so she can rescue me when the time comes, and it will come. I went three years with nary a problem then... well, you know.

Stepping up to forged pistons should solve the issue with the pieces of ring lands in the cylinder bores. The last time I was dragged home, my wife sighed and said, "You are spending hundreds on this stuff when you need to spend thousands. Build it right"
Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is pretty Don, a Dana 60 is so nice!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by esoteric
The last time I was dragged home, my wife sighed and said, "You are spending hundreds on this stuff when you need to spend thousands. Build it right"
I don't recall the last time was that I heard MY wife say that.....

And "back in the day" we used to put Olds rear ends under our Chebbys. I had a narrowed one w/5.13s & square spiders in my 63 Chebby II wagon. But you just don't see them anymore. I think they're every bit as strong as a Ford, but I'm sure you can't get the gear selection.....2.70, 3.0, 3.20, 3.40, 3.50, 3,70, 3.90, 4.10 etc etc etc.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I'd disconnect my blower & come find you, but my car still might be too fast for anything you own.

you seem like you have a good sense of humor so I thought I'd test the waters

And I thought I had pics Tyler, but I couldn't find them a couple weeks ago. I was gonna post a For Sale thread with pics of your car on my trailer.

Mark,
I brought a disk to you with some video. You did a narrative on the event... I can get another copy if you need it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Ken don't go digging a hole you can't get out of

BTW ain't no POS Ford rear end in my car I'd put a damn duece and a half rear end first! Beside The Dana is nicer
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rokko
I will give ford props on that rear end, one of the best things they ever designed.
Ford didn't design the rearend to the level it is now. No Ford parts are on the level of an aftermarket 9" unit. Stock for stock the 12-bolt could come from the factory way more solid than any Ford 9"... or at least that's what I'd read from every comparison article I could get my hands on.

Wish I had held out a year or so before the Moser 12-bolt though.... I would have seriously considered the Strange Dana 60 instead. Much more differential options than either the 9" or 12-bolt (thanks to the off roaders).
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
BTW ain't no POS Ford rear end in my car I'd put a damn duece and a half rear end first! Beside The Dana is nicer
Yeah, but the trick set up would be adapting the 14-bolt REAR WHEEL STEERING axle from the GMC trucks.

Someday we'll find a junk-yard salvaged one on a a wide-body f-body with AWS.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You Chevy guys never stop. Personally, I need to run Fords. I'm not knowledgeable enough to get a Chevy to go fast. I have to take the easy way. Of course, I don't use power adders either. Just old fashioned bolt ons.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You Chevy guys never stop. Personally, I need to run Fords. I'm not knowledgeable enough to get a Chevy to go fast. I have to take the easy way. Of course, I don't use power adders either. Just old fashioned bolt ons.

We are there for you man! I have a hammer with your name on it next time you need a carb adjustment
Old 01-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Launching!

We are there for you man! I have a hammer with your name on it next time you need a carb adjustment

Flathead and jet kit FTW!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Wow, so you're not smart enough to drive a Chevy? That's a typical sentiment from ford owners.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rokko
Wow, so you're not smart enough to drive a Chevy? That's a typical sentiment from ford owners.
Try to keep up. Let's review: "I am not smart enough to make a Chevy perform well" I knew this would be difficult for some on this site...

That is different from driving. Driving is controlling the car. I can clarify further if you cannot grasp the difference between the two concepts

Last edited by esoteric; 01-12-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I can always count on you Ellis. Holley is making a special hammer for that now.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=kens03cobra]What don't you understand about standby til march?

Dude, you know I was a ***** at the track and did not drive it hard due to numerous reasons...starting with the ex ******* wife

Now, all that is behind me, car is out of warrenty, no need to worry, I am going to the track in March..

Only bad thing is I now have 18's on it... still gonna give it hell when I get there.. I will post the ticket... Just for you Mikie!!

Dude - even with 18's on it you should be able to hit a 12 sec run.... I have alot of respect for the 03/04 Cobras, stock & modded.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Hey Ken don't go digging a hole you can't get out of

Me, dig a hole I can't get out of? Hope not, just getting started with you boys.

Regardless of where our loyalty falls, in the end we are all car fanatics. Us FORD guys are just a little ahead of you guys, but you will eventually get a clue and go BLUE!!

I respect the power you guys make as well, and if we all drove the same thing it would be very boring eh?

I figured I would have to even sleep in my firesuit on this board, but non the less enjoy chatting with you folks, and it doesn't hurt that most of my good friends from when I lived out there drive Chebby's or Goats.

Ken

Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

My point of view on the 9" vs 12 bolt and Dana 60 are this. The 9" is kind of like the SB chevy. Been hot rodded for so long it has many options, is very proven, has always been plentiful, and easy to work on. The 12 bolt was not plentiful although quite strong and not near as many options or as easy to modify.
The Dana has been hot rodded for quite some time and is still fairly plentiful but as far as im concerned not the best bet for drag racing. The ring gear and carrier being so much larger than either the 9" or 12 bolt makes it much tougher to accelerate which is all your trying to do when drag racing. Now this is a great thing for hauling a heavy load long distances because it retains so much momentum.
So if you can have the strength you need for the power that you have with less drag to the wheels the 9" and 12 bolt can do the job. If you want less cost and more options and the ease of the dropout carrier for gear swaps the 9" is the only way to go. Thats why you see 9" under so many different cars.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Try to keep up. Let's review: "I am not smart enough to make a Chevy perform well" I knew this would be difficult for some on this site...

That is different from driving. Driving is controlling the car. I can clarify further if you cannot grasp the difference between the two concepts
I get it, I just thought this was the chev vs ford bullshit thread. Sorry you took it literally. Sign another one up for class Ellis!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Psssst, John has been known to drive a Chebby powered car home from the track while his Blue Oval race car was towed home....by yet another Chebby.

You know I love you man.

But I would like to learn some MAF tricks from you s/c'd Ford guys. That is one area where you guys are certainly ahead of us. If I can get past that limitation I MIGHT be able to keep up. And I bet those "fast" Vipers wish they got the mpg that we (Fords & Chebbys) get. Upwards of 800hp and STILL getting 20....Vipers get 6-8. HA!

Quick Reply: Here Chebby Chebby